Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

CruiseAdict218

• 5 weeks later...

My grandmother's house is a treasure trove of old shipping and passenger line stuff that our family had a hand in. My great grandfather was the first captain of a now defunct passenger line. Bore eventually merged with Silja. Bore is now back as a cargo line and I have no connection to that or the current ownership other than distant cousin marriage. But some cool treasures in my family.

Here's an old worthless stock certificate from Aura owned by a guy who also helped start Bore by selling them their first ship:

image_zpsdjhpuzsm.jpeg

From my great grandfather's journal. He was around 18 when he left home to learn about shipping and sailing, so he would have been 22 here in 1900. There's some long letters written to his father about why he rejected the family business in tobacco, and rejected his uncle's business in glass (both business still in operation today but bought out by huge corporations-oops!) Most of the journal is in Swedish, but for some reason he did the Christmas Eve dinner menu in English as they rounded Cape Horn:

image_zps8hniardj.jpeg

This is a silver on marble gift to my great grandfather by the family that owned Bore for his 65th birthday(I think):

DSC00262.jpg

This was the business headquarters and residences and where my grandmother grew up in Turku (

Åbo)

. When I was there in 2010 it was two different Consulates. One for each side. It was bombed in World War II and my grandmother remembers picking up their things all the way across the river.

DSC00260.jpg

This is the Dora, that my grandfather purchased after World War II. About 2400 tons and I think they mostly shipped lumber from Finland to England. My great grandfather, the one in the shipping business tried to dissuade him from getting into shipping when all of the other ships were being put back into service. When I discovered this picture in my grandfather's office after he died, and asked about it, my grandmother just, "oh, sad story". Apparently they lost most of their money on that venture after the ship caught fire on the North Sea. It must have been slightly salvageable, because it was later renamed and put back into service:

6773EB47-E7B5-42D3-88E0-0A97E862FF2F-20278-00001A976D9DF62A.jpg

IMG_1694_zps7vadtdrr.jpg

This wasn't the only ship my family lost though. Several of the ships owned by Bore were taken by the Russians as punishment for the Continuation War. Also, my great grandfather's (from grandfather's line, different than the one I was talking about before) home in Vyborg was taken by the Russians when Finland lost the Karelian Peninsula. I'm not really sure if there was payment paid to the family by the Finnish Government in order to take the ships and give them to the Russians. I'd be surprised if there wasn't, because at that time my great grandfather was a cabinet minister, called Master Mariner (something like a maritime commerce secretary) and recently knighted.

Anyway, here's a memento from Bore Line I took along on my honeymoon cruise:

bore%20line%20bag_zpsjqsk9exu.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi!

I collect almost all I can do. Since cruise ships postcards and miniature models to cruise cards and the onboard daily newspapers of each cruise I've taken! :-)

Unfortunately the number of postcard collectors is decreasing, while some cruise lines are stopping to print it (Costa now prints digital photos of the ships instead the old and good postcards). I have some postcards of my own publication (QE2, QM2, Costa Victoria, Costa Favolosa, MSC Armonia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Meraviglia, Monarch, R5 Blue Dream, Silver Muse, Seabourn Quest, The World of Residensea and MS Kayamã river cruise), but today it's hard to find collectors to trade cards with me. :loudcry:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi!

I collect almost all I can do. Since cruise ships postcards and miniature models to cruise cards and the onboard daily newspapers of each cruise I've taken! :-)

Unfortunately the number of postcard collectors is decreasing, while some cruise lines are stopping to print it (Costa now prints digital photos of the ships instead the old and good postcards). I have some postcards of my own publication (QE2, QM2, Costa Victoria, Costa Favolosa, MSC Armonia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Meraviglia, Monarch, R5 Blue Dream, Silver Muse, Seabourn Quest, The World of Residensea and MS Kayamã river cruise), but today it's hard to find collectors to trade cards with me. :loudcry:

I have a set of postcards in a round wooden box from the inaugural Carnival Vista cruise season in the Mediterranean.

Wow! Quite a collection!
Thats alot of little ships! Does each one represent a cruise??

Recently found a box (handmade by my mom on a cruise)

Containing 12 matchboxes from cruise lines that have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Ones logo is an outline of a red bird ROYAL VIKING? ..As well as menus and Keychains from Epirotiki line & homeric? Princess, viking, & HAL..

Both parents passed over 12 yrs ago,but the cruise momentos reminded me that they got to do what they loved ..CRUISE ! Sisters & i will b toasting them on the new Celebrity Edge nxt yr. [emoji178]

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Over the years I have received multiple gratuity pins from different cruise lines and I usually just threw them in a drawer when I got home. I think many of them ended up in the trash. Recently I decided it would be fun to collect pins from the various ships I have cruised on (30+) and put then on a lanyard where I attach my cruise card. I have found some pins from past cruises on Ebay. So far I have 8. The most surprising find was a Commodore Cruise line pin. That was one of the lines I sailed on about 30 years ago.

hi

my hubby and i have only done 2 cruises. the first was on VENTURA to the caneries, and the second was on AZURA to the caribbean. on each ship i bought the TEDDY BEAR, we have booked the fjords (god willing ) for next june, so hopefully i will get one then.:):)

• 8 months later...

Was on a five week cruise NY to Buenos Aires back to NY in 1960 as a kid with my family on the SS Brazil, Moore McCormack line.  Have lots of printed material from the trip.  Menus, pictures, passenger list,  daily papers, etc.  Joan Crawford with her twin daughters, Janet Yellen when she was a child and Al Hirschfeld and Nina were all on the ship as well as others.  

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/16/2011 at 12:31 AM, CruiseAdict218 said:

If you love all things cruise ships or ocean liners or anything, do you collect? I love collecting many different things from all cruise lines. Ive got three Carnival Past Guest Pins (Carnival Triumph, Celebration & Fantasy 2001) and two NCL Latitude Pins Guest pins (Norwegian Dream & S/S Norway). I also got a folder with a bunch of interesting memorabilia of Premier Cruise Line. I recently ordered from e-Bay a Carnival Cruise 1998 Fleet Brochure and the Crystal Harmony Farwell Season Pin. Do you collect anything interesting?

yes, I have umm maybe around 1900 - 2000+ cruise ship and ocean liner items, menus, brochures, spoons, postcards, daily programs. I have items from: White Star Line, Cunard, Sitmar, Orient Line, P&O, Royal Mail Steamship Lines, Anchor Donaldson Line, Norddeutscher Lloyd, APL, NCL, Canadian Pacific, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Black Sea Shipping, Morflot (soviet), Italian Line, Grace Line, Red Star Line, Sealink, Union Castle, United States Lines, Shaw Savill, French Line, Greek Line, ect.

Edited by norboy76
updated info