Not-too-strenuous excursions are the issue

wheaton24

I use oxygen, but not a wheelchair. My issue is not onboard accessibility but the excursions. I can walk ok, although I need to carry on oxygen concentrator on wheels. I can do some stairs and small inclines, but not too steep.

So what upscale/luxury ships or riverboats (and itineraries) have relatively easy excursions? I don't want to just sit on a bus but Level 3 and 4 activity excursions are too difficult for me. Ideally, I'd love to spend some time in either Amsterdam, Prague or Budapest. Any suggestions?clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

My advice is to book private excursions. That way you set the agenda and dictate what you want to do and how active you want to be. And in most cases you'll save money and not have to climb in and out of buses.

That sounds like a river cruise with a slow walkers group. However, river boats tend to be rafted to each other and you need to be able to get up and down stairs to accommodate for the different heights of the exits. You will walk through one or several other ships to disembark each time.

Private tours are a good option as wripro suggests.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have your oxygen on a wheeled carrier, the other issue is that some excursions marked level 2 (and the definitions vary from line to line) may still be inappropriate because they may go over cobblestones an extended period, or irregular paths where it is hard for the wheels to work, or you may have to cross a rickety foot bridge, so you or someone with you would need to carry it then.

Also, the condition for which you need oxygen (be it COPD or CHF) may be such that if the weather is also very warm and/humid, even with a small incline, if the pace is brisk at a level 2, or prolonged, you may also have trouble keeping up without slowing the while group up, or just missing out, oxygen can only do so much.

The best is to book privately, or if you do a ship excursion, do just the base level, or get a lot more detail in advance about what may lie ahead. Silversea is very good about realistic ratings and descriptions, Seabourn so-so ( they only have three level options and a level 2 could be too strenuous for what you describe for some excursions, ok for others).