Safety Concerns for PC cruise and ports?

nini

I just read on a board that was comparing the PC cruise to one in the Mediterranean and they brought up safety issues which of course turned on my radar.

Has anyone who has done a PC cruise felt vulnerable?

I will admit, we have only been to Canada and did a Mexican Riviera cruise. The ports were good, except Mazatlan was a bit shaky.

Thanks in advance! :o

This past Jan./Feb., my wife and I were on a 16-night Panama Canal cruise, Miami to LA. Lots of ports (Cartagena, Colombia; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Corinto, Nicaragua; Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala; and five ports in Mexico: Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas.) We never felt "vulnerable." (And did not think Mazatlan was "shaky." Perhaps you were there years ago when there were safety issues?)

I really would not have overall safety concerns about a Panama Canal cruise as a general matter. Be smart everywhere (including in American cities!); know where not to go walking off the beaten path, for example; read State Dept advisories, read up here on Cruise Critic. We did a mix of ship's tours, private tours, and DIY.

My full trip report, with photos, is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

• 2 weeks later...

Wherever you travel you need to always think safety.

I would not venture into places where there are very few tourists.

To me Huatulco is very safe all around the island.

Cartegena gets better with each passing year but like any city when we walk around we are very careful of our possessions and most valuables stay on the ship. There is lots to see and do there. Puerto Vallarta within a miles or two of the cruise ship terminal to me is quite safe but again it's a city. San Juan has issues depending on where you go. Again be street smart. Know your surroundings.

Keith

San Juan del Sur was enjoyable both times we were there and locals seemed to appreciate having cruise ship passengers there. Many kept thanking us for coming and to please return. Yes, there were armed guards/military but we never felt the least unsafe ... but we weren't wandering around alone.