First PG Cruise - November 2017

NubyKruzer

This will be my first PG cruise, and although it's still five months away, I'm really excited as I have always had French Polynesia on my bucket list. A little bit of background, and then a few questions.

I will be travelling solo, and my travel agent booked a "solo-designated" cabin for me on deck 7 at the rear of the ship. The room will be a bit smaller, but the balcony much larger than most of the other balconies on board the ship. I am a mid-50s male, single, and love getaway trips like this. My first cruise was to Alaska last year on Princess, and while I enjoyed the experience, I think I'll enjoy this experience even more from the standpoint of the ship itself (smaller and more intimate). I cherish my alone time and enjoy the privacy of a balcony, where I can enjoy the outdoors in privacy when I'm looking for that "alone time". I also enjoy meeting other people who share my interest in travel and enjoy life in general. I tend to be moderately active when travelling, and love sitting on the beach and taking a swim in the ocean or the pool on the ship. Not really big on snorkeling, though I've done it before and enjoyed it to some extent. I will arrive in Papeete very early in the morning the day before the cruise, spending the night at the Intercontinental Tahiti (overwater motu bungalow). I have an early check in, so I'll basically have the entire day, as well as the evening, and about half of the following day, at the resort to relax before I board the ship the afternoon of the cruise.

I do have a few questions, and am open to suggestions/recommendations.

1. I absolutely love taking photographs, and was wondering what some of the best excursions would be for great photo opportunities? Based on my research thus far, it looks like the land excursions offer the best for this.

2. It sounds like a great deal of time is spent off the ship, as the time at sea tends to be overnight, and when in the various ports it seems like you don't want to spend too much time on the ship. When do you find the best times to hang out on the ship, at the pool, etc? It almost sounds like it's ideal to leave the ship early for the excursions, and then come back in the afternoon to hang out on the ship? It doesn't sound like I'll want to spend the entire day at any of the stops on the ship though. I am taking the cruise to FP to see the spectacular scenery and to immerse myself in the culture.

3. Has anyone had a spa treatment on the ship? If so, do you recommend it? One thing I found out the hard way on my first cruise last year on Princess is that the therapists are trained to do a sales pitch on their spa products. I'll admit, I didn't do my "homework" on this and was completely taken aback by it. It was not one of the more pleasant parts of my experience, as I absolutely detest sales pitches, especially when my intent is to relax and not feel any pressure to buy something more. I've read that on the luxury cruises this sales pitch generally doesn't occur. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that? I'll more than likely book at least one massage while I'm on the ship, but would just like to know one way or the other so I can be prepared accordingly.

4. Inside the cabin, I understand the refrigerator is stocked with soft drinks, beer and bottled water. I assume all of it is complimentary...including the beer? I'm not much of an alcohol drinker, but do occasionally enjoy it.

5. I know I'll be in the minority on the ship by being a solo traveller, but I never feel out of place or awkward. Any thoughts or suggestions on things I might want to consider doing, or doing differently, on this cruise?

6. Has anyone been to FP in November? If so, how was the weather when you were there? I know it's the beginning of "summer"/low season, and I hear it's more humid and rainy.

Looking forward to any feedback/suggestions/thoughts, as I prepare for this upcoming adventure.

My first suggestion would be the glean over the PG forum for the last few months. I talking about this one ;)

To answer your questions ...

1. I'm a professional photographer and I find picture taking is great from both land and lagoon. An example is Bora Bora. As you circumnavigate the lagoon Mt Otemanu is ever changing. If you are on Bora Bora 2 days take advantage of the golden hour the first day. Best to take those pictures from land.

2. Your best balcony will be from the ship's public areas. You are on the back end of the ship and often some of the best views of scenery are as you enter and leave the lagoon. As I love photography I get up early and grab a cup of coffee than head to the side of the ship to take advantage of the morning light. The water typically is more flat in the morning as the wind usually comes up in the afternoon. So ... excursions in the morning unless it's an all day one. Come back and take a shower and then relax around the pool bar or the rear lounge area.

3. Never done the spa thing ...

4. The refrigerator is a freebie. If there is something you particularly enjoy let your steward know and it will be stocked heavily.

5. Easy to mingle on the Paul Gauguin. At dinner simply ask to be seated at a table with other guest if you want company. You will find the PG clientele are well traveled and have some great stories to share.

6. November is hit or miss but the good thing is typically when rain does come it leaves quickly, usually within an hour.

Remember to bring a CP and a ND filter. usually tons of light and you need to knock it down and remember to shoot 90 degrees off angle from the early or late sun, the colors become amazing ;)

I forgot to mention, I'll be doing the 7-night Tahiti/Society Islands cruise, so it will be 1 day in Huahine, 1 day in Taha'a, 2 days Bora Bora, and 2 days Moorea. I've been reading up on the excursions, as well as some of the threads in this forum. I know I can't do and see everything, and I'm not stressing about it. Just wanting to make sure I enjoy the choices I make.

I forgot to mention, I'll be doing the 7-night Tahiti/Society Islands cruise, so it will be 1 day in Huahine, 1 day in Taha'a, 2 days Bora Bora, and 2 days Moorea. I've been reading up on the excursions, as well as some of the threads in this forum. I know I can't do and see everything, and I'm not stressing about it. Just wanting to make sure I enjoy the choices I make.

True, you can't do everything, and it's a tough choice sometimes.

If you like beaches and water, Taha'a is a must, and that's all day (or as much of the day as you like), and included. Beach chairs, shade, bbq lunch, bar, games. The Bora Bora motu is also delightful, more bare-bones but beautiful--TAKE YOUR CAMERA, beautiful views of Bora Bora--worth taking the tender over for the photo-ops, even if you don't lie on the beach and swim.

The views from what they call the "Belvedere" (scenic lookout) on Moorea are stunning (you need to be on a land tour for this, or rent a car.) So are views of the shoreline from various boat trips. If you are interested in wildlife, Dr. Poole's dolphin watch can be wonderful, and depending on how far around the island he ventures that day, again the views are wonderful.

I've only been to Huahine once, so can't really comment--I'm going back in October and I haven't decided what to do. There's an argument that you should get into the water since it's the first full day of the cruise usually.

I've never travelled alone on a cruise, but I've seen singles and I don't think it's a problem o the PG. The bars and other public spaces are a good place to meet people. There may be a singles table at dinner; if not, just ask to be seated at a table with others. The ship excursions are also excellent ice breakers.

Just one note, not for you particularly, but for everyone. Take care on any excursions that involve climbing in and out of boats particularly. Safety standards are not always that great, and it's up to the individual to keep themselves safe.

I agree about the morning light--if you're coming from eastern North America that makes it easier since you'll tend to be up early.

As for hanging out on the ship in the afternoon? Be aware that there's not a huge amount of shade on the pool deck. And the sun is very hot and strong. But then you have that great balcony!

Thank you so much for the replies so far. I'm sure I'll be doing a combination of land and water tours. FP has been on my bucket list for years. I just returned from a two-week visit to Kauai, and it had been my 11th visit in 30 years to Hawaii. I'm told FP is similar to what Hawaii was like 100 years ago, though I'm not going with any preconceived ideas at this point other than what I've seen in pictures.

I have about 600 shipboard credits for this cruise. I'm assuming I cannot use them for off-shore excursions? What do most people use them for?

As for cruising alone, I'm perfectly comfortable as a solo traveler in general. On the Alaska cruise with Princess last year I was solo, and met some really nice people. I'm not looking to meet someone for a long-term romantic relationship, though a few of those nice people on the cruise last year suggested ways I could accomplish that. I just laughed and they didn't push the issue. :)

I have about 600 shipboard credits for this cruise. I'm assuming I cannot use them for off-shore excursions? What do most people use them for?

Excursions, gift shop, and the spa. Unfortunately I believe you have to wait until you get onboard to use your credits for excursions. Not sure of your gender, but there are lovely black pearls to be had for both, in the gift shop.

Ah, a "catch 22" type situation with the credits for excursions. I know I'm going at the beginning of low season, but I'm not sure I'll want to wait until I board the ship to book excursions. I'll definitely use them for the spa. I'm not really interested in jewelry, so I doubt I'll be buying any pearls. (Gender - male, mid-50s)

Excursions, gift shop, and the spa. Unfortunately I believe you have to wait until you get onboard to use your credits for excursions. Not sure of your gender, but there are lovely black pearls to be had for both, in the gift shop.

Ah, a "catch 22" type situation with the credits for excursions. I know I'm going at the beginning of low season, but I'm not sure I'll want to wait until I board the ship to book excursions. I'll definitely use them for the spa. I'm not really interested in jewelry, so I doubt I'll be buying any pearls. (Gender - male, mid-50s)

I actually asked the representative at PG about this last week when I called to make final payment... if you reserve PG shore excursions online prior to your cruise, they do not charge you for them until you are on board. We have $800 in OBC for our cabin and she said I can reserve whatever excursions I want to be sure nothing gets sold out, and then use my OBC to pay for it once I am on board. She also said I can cancel or make changes to excursions as long as it is over 24 hours in advance. Hope that helps with your planning!

I actually asked the representative at PG about this last week when I called to make final payment... if you reserve PG shore excursions online prior to your cruise, they do not charge you for them until you are on board. We have $800 in OBC for our cabin and she said I can reserve whatever excursions I want to be sure nothing gets sold out, and then use my OBC to pay for it once I am on board. She also said I can cancel or make changes to excursions as long as it is over 24 hours in advance. Hope that helps with your planning!

Thank you for sharing this information! Wow!! That's the best possible situation I can think of for using the onboard credits. Like you, I don't want to take the risk of the excursions being sold out, but it would be nice to use the credits I have to pay for them. This helps tremendously in my planning!

... I'm not really interested in jewelry, so I doubt I'll be buying any pearls. (Gender - male, mid-50s)

Well look at them anyways, they are beautiful. Two of my make friends bought single black pearl chokers--very becoming!

I actually asked the representative at PG about this last week when I called to make final payment... if you reserve PG shore excursions online prior to your cruise, they do not charge you for them until you are on board....

That's great news. Too bad I don't have any OBC's on my upcoming cruise!

This will be my first PG cruise, and although it's still five months away, I'm really excited as I have always had French Polynesia on my bucket list. A little bit of background, and then a few questions.

I will be travelling solo, and my travel agent booked a "solo-designated" cabin for me on deck 7 at the rear of the ship. The room will be a bit smaller, but the balcony much larger than most of the other balconies on board the ship. I am a mid-50s male, single, and love getaway trips like this. My first cruise was to Alaska last year on Princess, and while I enjoyed the experience, I think I'll enjoy this experience even more from the standpoint of the ship itself (smaller and more intimate). I cherish my alone time and enjoy the privacy of a balcony, where I can enjoy the outdoors in privacy when I'm looking for that "alone time". I also enjoy meeting other people who share my interest in travel and enjoy life in general. I tend to be moderately active when travelling, and love sitting on the beach and taking a swim in the ocean or the pool on the ship. Not really big on snorkeling, though I've done it before and enjoyed it to some extent. I will arrive in Papeete very early in the morning the day before the cruise, spending the night at the Intercontinental Tahiti (overwater motu bungalow). I have an early check in, so I'll basically have the entire day, as well as the evening, and about half of the following day, at the resort to relax before I board the ship the afternoon of the cruise.

I do have a few questions, and am open to suggestions/recommendations.

1. I absolutely love taking photographs, and was wondering what some of the best excursions would be for great photo opportunities? Based on my research thus far, it looks like the land excursions offer the best for this.

2. It sounds like a great deal of time is spent off the ship, as the time at sea tends to be overnight, and when in the various ports it seems like you don't want to spend too much time on the ship. When do you find the best times to hang out on the ship, at the pool, etc? It almost sounds like it's ideal to leave the ship early for the excursions, and then come back in the afternoon to hang out on the ship? It doesn't sound like I'll want to spend the entire day at any of the stops on the ship though. I am taking the cruise to FP to see the spectacular scenery and to immerse myself in the culture.

3. Has anyone had a spa treatment on the ship? If so, do you recommend it? One thing I found out the hard way on my first cruise last year on Princess is that the therapists are trained to do a sales pitch on their spa products. I'll admit, I didn't do my "homework" on this and was completely taken aback by it. It was not one of the more pleasant parts of my experience, as I absolutely detest sales pitches, especially when my intent is to relax and not feel any pressure to buy something more. I've read that on the luxury cruises this sales pitch generally doesn't occur. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that? I'll more than likely book at least one massage while I'm on the ship, but would just like to know one way or the other so I can be prepared accordingly.

4. Inside the cabin, I understand the refrigerator is stocked with soft drinks, beer and bottled water. I assume all of it is complimentary...including the beer? I'm not much of an alcohol drinker, but do occasionally enjoy it.

5. I know I'll be in the minority on the ship by being a solo traveller, but I never feel out of place or awkward. Any thoughts or suggestions on things I might want to consider doing, or doing differently, on this cruise?

6. Has anyone been to FP in November? If so, how was the weather when you were there? I know it's the beginning of "summer"/low season, and I hear it's more humid and rainy.

Looking forward to any feedback/suggestions/thoughts, as I prepare for this upcoming adventure.

One thought for a photo op - from the deck of you OTW bungalow at the ICT. Our last time down there I woke up very early and saw the moon setting over Moorea. I have some fabulous photos.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One thought for a photo op - from the deck of you OTW bungalow at the ICT. Our last time down there I woke up very early and saw the moon setting over Moorea. I have some fabulous photos.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The moon sets at a different time every day so what my be great for you early may not be the case for someone else on a different day.

The moon sets at a different time every day so what my be great for you early may not be the case for someone else on a different day.

True, and there's a website that tells you when the moon will be rising/setting on any date, local time, anywhere in the world.

For example, November 2017 in Tahiti:

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/france/papeete?month=11&year=2017

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/france/papeete

So for the November 4, 2017 cruise week, a near-full moon will be rising in early evening in the east-northeast (opposite the setting sun) and will cross the night sky and set in the west-northwest in the morning.

For the November 11, 2017 cruise week, a shrinking sliver of moon (third quarter November 10 to new moon = no moon November 18) will be rising in the east after midnight. You won't see moon-set this week because the mid-morning sky will be too bright. A great week for star-gazing!

Edited by aerobee

True, and there's a website that tells you when the moon will be rising/setting on any date, local time, anywhere in the world.

For example, November 2017 in Tahiti:

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/france/papeete?month=11&year=2017

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/france/papeete

So for the November 4, 2017 cruise week, a near-full moon will be rising in early evening in the east-northeast (opposite the setting sun) and will cross the night sky and set in the west-northwest in the morning.

For the November 11, 2017 cruise week, a shrinking sliver of moon (third quarter November 10 to new moon = no moon November 18) will be rising in the east after midnight. You won't see moon-set this week because the mid-morning sky will be too bright. A great week for star-gazing!

Already checked my dates ......... skies won't give much ....