Help me decide

lbfluffy

Currently I have the Island Princess booked for next year November 20th, 15 day cruise. In addition I have the NCL Bliss booked for November 3rd, 2018, 14 day. We live in central California. San Francisco is 2 hours away from us, LA about 5 hours depending on traffic. The Island starts in Fort Lauderdale and ends in San Francisco. The Bliss starts in Miami and ends in LA. The itinerary is very different. Our main desire is to go through the Canal, the full transit. The price for the Bliss is less than the Island. I like the idea of a big ship, but the small ship can be relaxing too. I'm just not sure what to do. Maybe you all can give me your thoughts.

This first question to ask... have you ever been through the Canal before? If no, then I think selecting Princess would be the way I would go. The Island Princess will almost certainly use the original locks. Although very few cruise passengers have traversed the new locks yet, I believe most who have transited the Canal before would recommend seeing the original locks first.

This link will take you to a response I wrote on this forum about original vs new locks. Maybe it will help you choose which ship to select for your Canal cruise. Feel free to come back with any more questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53355599&postcount=4

This first question to ask... have you ever been through the Canal before? If no, then I think selecting Princess would be the way I would go. The Island Princess will almost certainly use the original locks. Although very few cruise passengers have traversed the new locks yet, I believe most who have transited the Canal before would recommend seeing the original locks first.

This link will take you to a response I wrote on this forum about original vs new locks. Maybe it will help you choose which ship to select for your Canal cruise. Feel free to come back with any more questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53355599&postcount=4

Yes this is our first time. However I do like the idea of a brand new ship. I've never been on a brand new ship of this size. I love excitement and seeing different shows and enjoying the ship. I have read some negative reviews about the Island. Plus one of our favorite stops, Puerto Vallarta is one of the stops on the Bliss. I still have a lot to consider.

Thank you for the information. You are very helpful.

Jessica

I can't speak to the negative revues of from personal experience, but I think much of it stems from the changes made to the IP and not to her sister ship, the Coral Princess. There seems to be a central theme from those who have cruised both ships, prefer the unaltered Coral. Perhaps the differences between the two ships would not be as dramatic to a cruiser who has not been the Coral previously... just a thought.

A couple of other things for you to ponder... Princess on the sailing you are considering has a full day port call in Panama at Ft. Amador, allowing you to see some of Panama. Many other itineraries don't provide for any stop in Panama in conjunction with a Canal transit.

While there is no way of knowing just what NCL will provide for in destination lectures on the cruise you are considering, recently they have not provided any lectures regarding the Canal and Panama other than a video presentation prior to your transit. NCL does provide for narration during the transit. On the other hand Princess has provided some excellent destination lecturers that are very knowledgeable on the Canal and Panama as well as providing narration during the transit. You can safely assume that would be something a Canal wonk like me be interested in;).

What ever your decision on big vs not as big or new vs original, the trip through the Canal will be rewarding since the bulk of the transit remains unchanged. You will still see Gaillard (now Culebra) Cut, the sail across Gatun Lake, sail under some iconic bridges as well as taking in the dramatic skyline of Panama City! It's all good.

One other thing... I prefer leaving from Ft. Lauderdale than Miami;p!!

I can't speak to the negative revues of from personal experience, but I think much of it stems from the changes made to the IP and not to her sister ship, the Coral Princess. There seems to be a central theme from those who have cruised both ships, prefer the unaltered Coral. Perhaps the differences between the two ships would not be as dramatic to a cruiser who has not been the Coral previously... just a thought.

A couple of other things for you to ponder... Princess on the sailing you are considering has a full day port call in Panama at Ft. Amador, allowing you to see some of Panama. Many other itineraries don't provide for any stop in Panama in conjunction with a Canal transit.

While there is no way of knowing just what NCL will provide for in destination lectures on the cruise you are considering, recently they have not provided any lectures regarding the Canal and Panama other than a video presentation prior to your transit. NCL does provide for narration during the transit. On the other hand Princess has provided some excellent destination lecturers that are very knowledgeable on the Canal and Panama as well as providing narration during the transit. You can safely assume that would be something a Canal wonk like me be interested in;).

What ever your decision on big vs not as big or new vs original, the trip through the Canal will be rewarding since the bulk of the transit remains unchanged. You will still see Gaillard (now Culebra) Cut, the sail across Gatun Lake, sail under some iconic bridges as well as taking in the dramatic skyline of Panama City! It's all good.

One other thing... I prefer leaving from Ft. Lauderdale than Miami;p!!

One thing my husband likes is the stop in Puerto Vallarta. We love going to the private island of Las Caletas.

Right now I have the Island and the Bliss booked. The difference in the two is about $500.