Port in singapore

Cheekyrn1

couple of questions regarding our flight arrival into Singapore. We land at midnight and obviously cannot check into ship until afternoon...does anyone have a hotel recommendation near the port? And crazy question but does anyone know if there is a liquor store near the port?

You don't need to stay near the port as Singapore island is very small and taxis are super cheap and plentiful so easy to get to the port from just about anywhere in Singapore and little cost.

Search "Hotels in Singapore" on this thread and you will find plenty of recommendations, also look at Trip Advisor Singapore Hotels for recommendations.

Just ask at your hotel for the nearest liquor store and they will direct you to the nearest supermarket. Just be aware that liquor is not cheap in Singapore so you can have a look at prices on line and also check out the duty free at the airport before you leave the area.

If you don't want much alcohol (will keep within the customs max) I recommend using the duty free shop before you leave Changi. It's open 24 hours, and yes, you can buy there upon arrival. But you must comply with the customs rules on amount of liquor.....

couple of questions regarding our flight arrival into Singapore. We land at midnight and obviously cannot check into ship until afternoon...does anyone have a hotel recommendation near the port? And crazy question but does anyone know if there is a liquor store near the port?

Interesting that you land at midnight, will be sleeping several hours, and boarding soon after. Might there be liquor smuggling in your plans? :evilsmile:

Interesting that you land at midnight, will be sleeping several hours, and boarding soon after. Might there be liquor smuggling in your plans? :evilsmile:

Not everyone sails on lines that disallow you to bring alcohol on board. We sailed SIN-HKG on Azamara last year and were able to bring onboard whatever we wanted. We wanted to bring a specific bourbon and didn't want to risk not finding it at Duty Free, so we just packed it from home. No "smuggling" involved at all - we met the SIN customs requirement as well as followed the rules of our cruise line.

(FYI in Singapore, we stayed at the Oasia Downtown, a new hotel that just opened a year ago - it was fabulous, we had a club level room and it was just delightful - we had a long stay in SIN due to using award miles to get airplane tickets and me doing some work while I was in town....So having the nicer room - including amenities like laundry! was fantastic for us)

This is our second cruise out of Singapore and our flights always arrive very late and arrive at hotel near midnight.

Bye the way I don't drink!

We stay at the Ritz Millenium, great service, outstanding room, nice pool and excellent location, will stay again this cruise.

• 1 month later...

Most flights out of the U.S. arrive shortly after midnight. One caution, when you grab a cab to the port, make sure you have the address/name of the port you are going to sail from. There are two. Many taxi drivers speak no English. We took a taxi, showed the driver the address, and he still took us to the wrong port. Leave plenty of time.

Hoyaheel is right. We sailed on Oceania. They do not limit what you bring on board. Neither does Regent or Viking. I don't know about the others. Depending on the length of the cruise, we take one or two cases of wine with us. Oceania charges $25 per bottle corkage. Regent and Viking do not charge corkage. We drink what we like and save a lot of money.

Most flights out of the U.S. arrive shortly after midnight. One caution, when you grab a cab to the port, make sure you have the address/name of the port you are going to sail from. There are two. Many taxi drivers speak no English. We took a taxi, showed the driver the address, and he still took us to the wrong port. Leave plenty of time.

Hoyaheel is right. We sailed on Oceania. They do not limit what you bring on board. Neither does Regent or Viking. I don't know about the others. Depending on the length of the cruise, we take one or two cases of wine with us. Oceania charges $25 per bottle corkage. Regent and Viking do not charge corkage. We drink what we like and save a lot of money.

"Many speak no English" :confused: I think you must have gotten a rare one that didn't.....English is the most widely spoken language in Singapore.

All license Taxi Drivers have to take a course in English and pass before being issue a Taxi License unless you did your Taxi booking through Grab or Uber. Don't be surprise to find Taxi drivers who are graduates.

"Many speak no English" :confused: I think you must have gotten a rare one that didn't.....English is the most widely spoken language in Singapore.

Exactly, English is the nation first language and Singaporean are mostly bilingual.

All license Taxi Drivers have to take a course in English and pass before being issue a Taxi License unless you did your Taxi booking through Grab or Uber. Don't be surprise to find Taxi drivers who are graduates.

Exactly, English is the nation first language and Singaporean are mostly bilingual.

We learned from experience in April, that many taxi drivers spoke little or no English. The four drivers we used were licensed drivers. Two were hailed by the doorman at the Intercontinental Hotel. The one that we took from the Intercontinental Hotel to the port had the poorest command of English. He was pretty much limited to nodding his head. If he understood English, he didn't let us know and he certainly could not understand enough to take us to the right port. I only posted my caution because of our experiences on April 10, April 11, and April 14 of this year. Yours may have been different. We did have experiences as others have described but I wouldn't expect all of them to be that way. They certainly weren't for us.

if you book a hotel in Singapore you might have to vacate at 10am or pay extra for a late check out the time you arrive its obvious you will be tired you can book a room in the airport i think in 8 hour block then so much for extra hours you stay, its less than 100 sing dollars we have stayed here and can recommend this accommodation great room and en-suite check out the Changi Airport accommodation guide Aussie

if you book a hotel in Singapore you might have to vacate at 10am or pay extra for a late check out the time you arrive its obvious you will be tired you can book a room in the airport i think in 8 hour block then so much for extra hours you stay, its less than 100 sing dollars we have stayed here and can recommend this accommodation great room and en-suite check out the Changi Airport accommodation guide Aussie

Its Aerotel transit hotel if you checked in 1am out 9am Breakfast in airport taxi to cruise terminal check in luggage on the ship the cruise terminal is in a huge shopping center on two floors maybe breakfast here browse shops and eat streets the time now would be 11 am you might board by 11.30 am if you want to go into Singapore the metro station is here get a return ticket to Orchard rd the main cbd center browse shops you can buy anything here i have been to Singapore about ten times never had a problem with taxis public transport is cheap all subsidized by guvanmant good luck Aussie

Its Aerotel transit hotel if you checked in 1am out 9am Breakfast in airport taxi to cruise terminal check in luggage on the ship the cruise terminal is in a huge shopping center on two floors maybe breakfast here browse shops and eat streets the time now would be 11 am you might board by 11.30 am if you want to go into Singapore the metro station is here get a return ticket to Orchard rd the main cbd center browse shops you can buy anything here i have been to Singapore about ten times never had a problem with taxis public transport is cheap all subsidized by guvanmant good luck Aussie

There are two cruise terminals in Singapore, Harbourfront is mainly for smaller ships like the Super Virgo. Check documents carefully so you know which terminal you are leaving from. Singapore taxis, MRT all great and well priced. Only negative I have ever had was taxi driver kept asking me if I wanted to go to discount shopping. When I asked hm to pull over and let me out, he said you've been to Singapore before, then continued to Gardens by the Bay where I wanted to go.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, there are 2 cruise terminals in Singapore, check carefully where your ship is departing.

As a general rule of thumb, larger ships (e.g. Celebrity Millenium class, RCI Voyager Class and above) will not be able to use the cruise terminal at Harbourfront (called the Singapore Cruise Terminal). They will have to use the Marina Bay Cruise Terminal. This is a video I made some time back.

[YOUTUBE]-a5WI-KinVQ[/YOUTUBE]

In this video, the Millenium is docked at MBCC.

[YOUTUBE]u9MG8IeV-xk[/YOUTUBE]

Alcohol in Singapore isn't cheap at all. Consider getting some at the Duty Free at Changi when you are coming out of the airport, after immigration but before luggage claim. The prices are duty-free. I usually buy some whenever I fly back to Singapore.

[YOUTUBE]k4F7PmOrQe4[/YOUTUBE]

Here is our review on Singapore (where we started our cruise via the Celebrity Millennium). The review includes the transport service we used (for airport pickup to hotel; from hotel to cruise ship terminal, and then for a private shore excursion).

Also, reviews our hotel (The Club) and a few things we did while in port.

Singapore Blog Review -

Heather

Here is our review on Singapore (where we started our cruise via the Celebrity Millennium). The review includes the transport service we used (for airport pickup to hotel; from hotel to cruise ship terminal, and then for a private shore excursion).

Also, reviews our hotel (The Club) and a few things we did while in port.

Singapore Blog Review -

Heather

Very nice pictures! Thanks for visiting my country. Hope you had a great stay.

• 3 months later...

hv baskey

thanks for the great info on Singapore

we only have one free afternoon/evening in Singapore ( included tour in AM and full day tour the 2nd day through the ship)

would you recommend we hire a guide or just "take it all in" by wandering around by ourselves?

If you are planning on bringing a couple of bottles of wine onto your cruise and plan to buy them in Singapore, be prepared for really steep prices. A bottle of Wolf Blass will cost you, $50 USD, a bottle of Woodbridge $40 USD. Really, and this is from a grocery store!!! Remember, you cannot bring liquor onto a cruise ship.