Uber vs lyft vs taxi in NOLA

amsred2

I live in New Orleans and I would suggest Uber/Lyft (full disclosure, I only use Uber... so I can't speak specifically for Lyft). The flat rate for a taxi to downtown starts at $36.00. Unless your fare was expected to be much higher with Uber, I would pick Uber/Lyft every time. They usually provide a much better experience in my opinion.

I guess I should mention that our hotel is in not that far away on Canal Street in the French Quarter. I realize that it is technically in walking distance but I am not keen on dragging our luggage on the street or onto a streetcar. I am also wondering if there is an easier way than waiting in the long drop off line at the terminal?

check with your hotel and see if they have a shuttle to the cruise port. We are staying at Hampton Inn and they have a shuttle that will take us to the cruise port and it is complementary.

I guess I should mention that our hotel is in not that far away on Canal Street in the French Quarter. I realize that it is technically in walking distance but I am not keen on dragging our luggage on the street or onto a streetcar. I am also wondering if there is an easier way than waiting in the long drop off line at the terminal?

Unless something has changed, we've never been in a "long drop off line" for our luggage at any port, including New Orleans. Usually the porters are onto your bags the instant they come out of the car or taxi.

Now, there may be a long line to get into the cruise terminal, if you happen to arrive right at the peak time. You really can't do much about that, since everyone has to through port security first before getting to the check in services.

If coming from the airport, you can rely on these estimates:

New Orleans Cruise Port Address: 1100 Port of New Orleans Place, New Orleans, Louisiana 70130-1733

TO PORT: How much does an Uber cost from New Orleans Airport to New Orleans Cruise Port?

• UberX: $26.50
  • UberXL: $40.50

FROM PORT: How much does an Uber cost from New Orleans Cruise Port to New Orleans Airport ?

• UberX: $10.50
  • UberXL: $11.50

New-Orleans-Airport-to-New-Orleans-Cruise-Port.jpg

Found here: Airport to Cruise Port Uber Cost – This is what you’ll pay for each U.S. Port

check with your hotel and see if they have a shuttle to the cruise port. We are staying at Hampton Inn and they have a shuttle that will take us to the cruise port and it is complementary.

Which Hampton?

• 1 month later...
If coming from the airport, you can rely on these estimates:

New Orleans Cruise Port Address: 1100 Port of New Orleans Place, New Orleans, Louisiana 70130-1733

TO PORT: How much does an Uber cost from New Orleans Airport to New Orleans Cruise Port?

• UberX: $26.50
  • UberXL: $40.50

FROM PORT: How much does an Uber cost from New Orleans Cruise Port to New Orleans Airport ?

• UberX: $10.50
  • UberXL: $11.50

New-Orleans-Airport-to-New-Orleans-Cruise-Port.jpg

Found here: Airport to Cruise Port Uber Cost – This is what you’ll pay for each U.S. Port

Is that correct? The fare is less than half going from port to MSY airport.

I have never used Uber before. It looks like it requires data on your smart phone. I believe there is free wifi at MSY airport so I can use it to call for an Uber ride. I have a few more questions I hope someone can help me out with.

1. Once you request the ride on the app, do you have to leave the app running (draining data) until you arrive at your destination?

2. Do you pay at the beginning or at the end, when you reach your destination?

3. If I need to leave the app running, will it drain a lot of data during the ride from the airport to the FQ (about 25-30 mins). My cost is about $9 for each 50MB.

I'm trying to minimize my data roaming as much as possible.

Thanks

I can't answer the data questions, but I highly doubt that the cost from the port to MSY is correct. We did an uber from the FQ to MSY in January and it was about $3 less than a taxi for 2 people.

If in doubt, just take a taxi. They are plentiful at MSY and the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

You need to keep the app running until you actually get in the car. Basically it's like hailing a cab but you receive a photo of the driver along with what kind of car they are driving and a license plate number. That and there is a map tracking the car via GPS. Once you are in the car you won't need your phone again.

As for payment it's handled when the ride is completed via whatever credit card you set the account up with.

For me Uber is a preferred method in New Orleans but I'm not worried about data charges, I can understand why you would be though. I've had one really negative experience with a NOLA cab driver but I've had an Uber driver pick me up during a riot a Jackson Square. He got a $15 tip!