American Empress East or West?

Does anyone have any advice about which direction is the best. We plan to go in Sept or Oct 18? How is the weather in Oct? Do you use a TA or directly book? If you have used a TA, how do you find one? email me with any info mikedeb2506 at Comcast dot net Thanks for any help.

We went east to west in May this year --- This is going with the flow of the river, One review I read said they preferred this direction because the east-(Clarkston) is a desert , dry, brown area traveling into lush green area.in the west (Vancouver) There had been lots of rain and snowfall this year so the east was green as well as the west.

Another reviewer stated it is easier to fly out of Vancouver/Portland area that out of Spokane. I did not look at the flight schedule. There is a bus ride on each end from Spokane to the boat or from the boat to Spokane. I enjoyed looking at the scenery on the bus ride -Farmland and wind farms and mountains to the east.But by having this ride at the beginning -I was more excited than tired as I was at the end.

We use a travel agent -someone we use all the time but I personally spoke with a representative from the company several times, very helpful .

We loved the trip and recommend it .---Judy

I've done the trip both ways, and I did like having the bus ride from Spokane to Clarkston at the beginning of the vacation. The scenery between the Davenport Hotel and the boat is nice to watch roll by. With that being said, honestly, when I make my next voyage on the AMERICAN EMPRESS, and I will, I will choose the direction that enables me to make the best connections at the least price. Last April I flew into Spokane from Charleston, SC which required changing planes in Atlanta and Seattle, so it was a very long tiresome day.

We cruised Clarkston to Vancouver last October. Can't comment which direction is better. This direction worked better for us with Amtrak in Spokane and Vancouver coming from/to Los Angeles. Weather was mixed...some really nice days and some showery days. Astoria got canceled because of predicted gale force winds there so we spent the time touring Vancouver and Portland (provided by AQSC). I booked directly with AQSC.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing east to west this October. Picked east to west so we could get the 2 hr bus ride out of the way at the beginning. And picked October because the price was a bit less. Our TA said the further you get into Oct-Nov, the rainier it gets. But October is also leaf changing, and should be pretty. I'm also going to send you an email.