Tahiti - Tuamoto excursion questions. July 2018.

KathiB

We will be on the Wind Spirit next July 1 -11 for the 11 night Tahiti and Tuamoto Islands cruise. The excursions are available to book now. We usually book tours independently but a few look like they might be best booked with the ship. I would like to get some opinions on this and any suggestions for things to book on our own or when we are recommended to go with the ship's excursion. The excursions that we are looking at are:

Fakarava: With the ship, Blue Lagoon, or scuba on our own with local dive shop?

Rangiroa: Scuba on our own with 6 Passengers dive shop?

Tahaa: With the ship, Coral Garden Drift Snorkel...can this be done on our own?

Huahine: Tour with Poetencia Day Tours for Circle Island Tour, book on our own.

Raiatea: Excursion with L'Excursion Bleue booked on our own.

Bora Bora: Not sure. We may spend 3 days there pre-cruise.

Moorea: Ship's excursions, Dr. Poole Dolphin tour. We have heard much about this. Does this have to be booked through ship? Or scuba with local shop?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

I booked Dr. Poole independently. Contact him and ask.

Some tour operators contract with the cruise ships, and will not accept independent bookings when the ships are in port. You'd have to check with them.

We went to Tahiti on the Paul Gaugin several years ago, and did their 10 day cruise including the Tuamotos. This time we are booked on the Windspirit for July 1-11, 2018, just like you! We did Ato's Blue Lagoon Tour in Fakarava and it was awesome (but rough in parts) , so we hope to do this again. We will book this independently and hopefully can get ahold of him. This is definitely worth seeing and very isolated but beautiful. Have you booked with Ato yet and how did you get ahold of him? In Rangiroa, I did the Tiputa Pass drift snorkel, and my husband scuba dived ( both with tours thru Paul Gaugin) In Moorea, I would highly reccomend Dr. Michael Poole's excursion. However, we were there last time in September and were very lucky to see all the whales. From the reading I've done, I'm not sure we'll be able to see whales in July, just dolphins. Last time on the Paul Gaugin, we booked this independently, but it looks like Windspirit offers this now. In Moorea, I also did the 3 Coconuts Trail Hike, and it was lots of fun with beautiful views.