Cuba

jay888

On our Cuba land trip, dress was extremely casual. (Light weight cotton). Comfortable walking shoes are a must! Many streets are cobblestone. This trip is not about "clothes". It is about the culture of an amazing country. It was one of our favorite trips.

Have a good trip - I have not sailed MSC so can't comment on the dress code.

If I did the conversion correctly it is 70 Lbs. Is that for each person? If so, that is plenty. I think our last international flight we each had 50 lbs ( 23 kg) each for a checked bag and additional for a small carry on. We had a two week cruise and pre and post land trip for a total of 29 days. (And we needed weight for a variety of purchases). We also did this with a suit for my husband ( he needed it for the pre cruse portion) We had no problem. I am a light packer i.e black or white slacks and a variety of tops. Black sleeveless dress etc. I basically packed for 10 days and had clothes laundered or cleaned. I never worry about wearing a outfit more than once ( especially if just wearing it to dinner or the evening) I pack a variety of wraps or scarves and never feel out of place because of my clothing.

Cuba is casual - I wore cotton slacks and short sleeved tops. Depending on the time of year, you will need to launder after wearing once, as it is very warm.

For a standard 14 night cruise we pack for 8 or 9 days and always use the ship laundry. Port intensive cruises might need a few more things as touring clothes generally are laundered after each wearing. If we are on a Caribbean cruise, I am often in a swimsuit and cover up and the swimsuit is rinsed after wearing.

Let us know how it goes.

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 - 32kg is lots of weight.

2 - I don't ever pack for 2 weeks or 4 weeks or whatever. I pack for 5-7 days, mix and match, and do laundry when needed. I have no problem doing sink laundry on vacation (or self-serve on a cruise or even sending laundry out if needed) because my priority is lighter packing over not spending my time washing clothing. Your personal priorities could be different (but since you asked the question.... ;p)

3 - if you're going to the dining room on a formal night, maybe a knit maxi dress or cocktail dress is a better choice than something "bigger" that gets wrinkled.

4- if you mix & match clothing in just 2-3 colors (one neutral, 2 accents) it helps minimize shoe choices as well. I'd pack one sturdy walking shoe, one walking sandal, and one dressier sandal for evenings... (could be heels, maybe not, depends on preferences again...)

5 - bring less clothing and more accessories. Necklaces & scarves take up very little space but change the look of a "plain" black dress so easily!

Holy conversion scale!!! I have packed for a 3 week winter vacation to Austria, Switzerland and Germany for under 22kg. And, a month-long business trip to Hilton Head, SC, in summer for under 17kg (including 2 suits). You should have no problem staying under 32kg unless you have something very heavy you bring with you.

Do like some of my well-traveled "sisters" have advised: pack for 7 days, pack washables, have a basic palate and accent and "bling" it up with scarves, jewelry. Pack for very hot and humid conditions. Take one good pair of closed-toe shoe for walking (keeps out the pebbles and from stubbing on cobblestones). People are not going to notice that you have worn something more than once - if someone does, they aren't worthy of your time.

Not clothes related but Cuba related....

We packed a carry-on with 50 tooth brushes, a case of tooth paste, soap, hot wheels, Barbie dolls & rosaries. We gave these to a day care in Havana operated by a nun.

(We did discretely give soap to senior people we would pass on the street. Just a few here & there. (Just a greeting in Spanish & a quick gift. Not a big production)

Everything in Cuba is rationed. They will be thrilled with anything you are able to give them. You won't see them begging.

Have a wonderful trip. It is life changing.