Siem Reap Pre- or Post-Cruise?

aharris0614

Cool! I'm planning this for June.

Any tips/recommendations?

Plus, please tell us about HCMC when you can find the time, and how you found the bus experience. I was advised to fly from Phu Quoc to HCMC.

You need to understand these are third World countries and they do not follow the same standards as in the United States. Boats (local) will have limited safety equipment, poorly trained staff, and they will overload the boat in the name of profit.

As for buses you will find two types, local and Express or VIP. Local buses will be old overcrowd and no AC. The Empress VIP buses range from very nice, to average condition. Which is why these transportation choices really need to be made on site. Understand they do not follow Western values, if your bus driver has a accident and people die or people hurt on the bus. In most cases the driver will not help.... the common thing here in third World Asia is bad accident the driver runs away and hides. You also need to watch the drivers as many will be drinking.

Having been here in Asia for the last 15 years I follow one very simple rule, I am responsible for my own safety. I look at everything carry supplies and if the situation does not look right to me I pass. Better to miss a flight or a meeting then to be dead.

I love Asia and living here but as was said in The Wizard Oz "Dorothy you are not in Kansas anymore"

Definitely fly from Phu Quoc to HCMC. otherwise it is a long bus ride.

We flew from to Can Tho for a homestay stopover, then bussed to HCMC. It took 3 1/2 hours on a very nice bus. Much better than say Greyhound. Wireless on the bus. Fare was about $6 each. We got the name of a good bus company from the tripadvisor forum. This forum has been a great help.

Air fro Phu Quok seems expensive because only one airline is doing the route. We just bought last minute air to Dalat for the day after tomorrow. It would have been an 11 hour, $13 bus ride. Thanks to Jetstar Our journey is now a one hour, $22 flight (all in). HCMC is wonderful. Makes one begin to realize the rising financial power of Asia. We were at the War Renemberece Museum today. Very sad images indeed.

• 1 month later...
It really doesn't make a difference if that's what you want to know....a matter of preference.

We did it as a pre... just because the cruise departed from Singapore & ended in Hong Kong.

So as a logistic matter for us a very convenient, easy & inexpensive to fly from Singapore to Siem Reap.

As others said be prepared for a hot, humid, tiring experience the visit to Cambobia....

Nevertheless a wonderful experience which I enjoyed very much.

Whatever you decided Enjoy ....

I realize that you went a few months ago, so may not get this, but I'm wondering which airline you used from Singapore to Siem Reap and we want to fly this return in 2017. Thank you, Nicole

Just looked at my prior post. There was a typo.

We paid $50 ( not $150) a day, including tip, for a guide and Lexus SUV. Got the name via tripadvisor. Saved much time, got to see what we wanted, and it was wonderful to have an AC vehicle instead of a dusty ride in a tuk tuk.

He also knew when to avoid the tour crowds as well as the best places to take photos. It was a bargain.

We used air in Vietnam often. Jetstar between Saigon and Dalat, Hanoi and Bangkok. Vietnam Airlines from PhuQuok - Can Tho, Nha Trang - Hoi An, and Hue-Hanoi. Very inexpensive flights that avoided long bus journeys. Excellent service on all flights.

Edited by iancal

• 1 year later...
this is our third day in Siam Reap. It is warm...33/35 maybe warmer.

Best thing we did was hire a car and guide. We spent 2 days touring Angkor with him. He knew when to go where to avoid the crowds plus he was a fountain of knowledge. $150 for a professional guide and A/C Lexus SUV. Later this evening he takes us to an Aspersa performance. Start early in the AM so you can get back mid afternoon for a swim at your hotel...so glad ours has one.

Iancal - can you give me the contact info for the tour guide you hired in Siem Reap? I'm going in January and would be interested in those services, especially with a good review/recommendation. You can email me at scluvsrain at gmail dot com.

We too hired a guide to see the many temples around Siem Reap. His name was Rithie Li, I believe and we found him on Angkor Sam's website, but he also has his own private site. I highly recommend him. English is excellent, knowledge superior, good air-conditioned car with a cooler full of ice water. I believe we also paid $155. for two days, and he will adjust pick up times at your hotel, if you want to leave early a.m. or later. Hope you have as good a time as we did! Nicole

• 2 weeks later...