Viking Homelands cruise ATM question

pgruder

We are going to need either USD or Euro's to pay a private tour guide taking us to Berlin. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of money we can withdraw from the ATM's there? We don't want to carry a large amount of cash so prefer to wait until we arrive in Berlin to use the ATM's..

We are going to need either USD or Euro's to pay a private tour guide taking us to Berlin. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of money we can withdraw from the ATM's there? We don't want to carry a large amount of cash so prefer to wait until we arrive in Berlin to use the ATM's..

Don't forget that your bank might also impose a daily limit on your account, separate from any limits imposed by the banks in Europe. I'm not a regular user of ATM and I have to remember to check what limits there are on my account each time we travel.

It tends to depend on a number of factors: the limits of the local bank, any restrictions imposed by your own bank, and the type of account you may have. My own experience is that €250-300 is not unusual per day. That said, some banks will allow larger cash withdrawals but usually for their own customers, eg Santander. If it were me, I would bring the cash with me or, if you have more than one account, bring a couple of cards just to be on the safe side. BTW, if you're planning to withdraw cash in Berlin, you'll find ATMs everywhere, but if you're docking in Warnemünde, the nearest ATM may be at the station about 10 mins walk from the ship (I don't recollect seeing an ATM at the cruise terminal).

Don't forget that your bank might also impose a daily limit on your account, separate from any limits imposed by the banks in Europe. I'm not a regular user of ATM and I have to remember to check what limits there are on my account each time we travel.

Thank you, I will check with our bank.

Another possibility: Check to see if your guide or guide service takes credit cards. Most do. If so, use a zero foreign exchange free credit card and pay in euros. We did this in Russia.

Banks also charge a foreign transaction fee for each ATM withdrawal - not the same as the fee for use of another bank's ATM. You may want to check to consider. Obtaining Euros from Banks or AAA these days is easy.

It might be easy but it always costs more than using a local ATM to get the local currency--and sometimes a lot more. I hate the feeling of being ripped off by the banks and I have stopped buying currency in the US. Even if the ATM charges a transaction fee, I am paying less than I would if I bought from a US bank or AAA. I bank with a credit union that does not charge fees for using a foreign bank, so if there is any fee, it is only the fee charged by the dispensing bank.

Also, since we seem to be doing a lot of travel in euroland these days, we always make sure to come home with a couple hundred for our next trip (especially when the rate is really low as it was earlier this year).

We were so happy that we took a small amount of each currency on our Homelands tour. We did bring more Euro's however since there were a couple more places that used Euros. We used them for tipping the guides and drivers and in one instance we had to use all of our Norwegian Krone just to ride the tram because their credit system was down. That put us in a pinch when we needed to tip the guide and driver later in the stay. We hit a couple of places that had their credit system down so were relieved to have the cash to get us through. To ease my mind, if I were you, I would either get the Euros beforehand, or use a credit card for your tour in Berlin.