Currency for the Viking Homelands

jiminyC_fan

I

If I knew how to do that I would but all the information you are talking about is on this thread on post 8 and 11.

Posting a link takes only a little magic.

There is an address at the top of the page. If you HIGHLIGHT with your cursor and then do CNTRL C you will copy it. Then you go where you want to put the link and do CNTRL V and bingo.

If you were reading this post, the address probably looks like : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2454926

Do not try to type it.. you will mess it up 99% of time.

COPY and PASTE - one of the best tricks in using a computer.

Posting a link takes only a little magic.

There is an address at the top of the page. If you HIGHLIGHT with your cursor and then do CNTRL C you will copy it. Then you go where you want to put the link and do CNTRL V and bingo.

If you were reading this post, the address probably looks like : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2454926

Do not try to type it.. you will mess it up 99% of time.

COPY and PASTE - one of the best tricks in using a computer.

Thanks for the tutorial. I will definitely give it a try soon. With all this 'new' technology, like buttons on the phone, it gets harder and harder to keep up!

• 3 months later...
Thanks everyone. I agree. Dollars isn't their official currency and we shouldn't expect them to accept it for our convenience.

Hey JiminyC I think you just returned from the Ocean Homeland trip. I can't find the thread but I want to know abut the currency you took. Did you run across any restrooms that you had to have money. We are traveling in Aug 19 starting in Norway.

We did the AMAZING Viking Homelands cruise in June.

We ordered currency for each country visited from AAA ( not the only source) at the best rate possible.

We did not have to spend any time hunting down ATM machines while in port...not always available!( try that in SPB in Russian!).

When we returned home, we exchanged our unused currency to our bank at a decent exchange rate.

This way we had local currency in hand to tip our excursion guides, buy souvenirs, street snacks etc.

This made life very easy!

We did NOT get currency for Iceland which we did on our own. One can charge EVERYTHING there..even an ice cream on the street.

We did see people on our cruise stuck in perhaps a local market without means to pay.

Credit cards are not always accepted when you are buying a small basket of strawberries!

Dollars are NOT always accepted but Euros often ok.

There was no down side to having our local currency delivered to us at home...arrived the next day.

In expensive countries like Sweden we got $100.00 worth, inexpensive countries like Poland $50.00.

We travel quite a bit and always order Euro and those we keep for further travel.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy what I am sure will be a great trip!

We ordered currency for each country visited from AAA ( not the only source) at the best rate possible.

We did not have to spend any time hunting down ATM machines while in port...not always available!( try that in SPB in Russian!).

When we returned home, we exchanged our unused currency to our bank at a decent exchange rate.

This way we had local currency in hand to tip our excursion guides, buy souvenirs, street snacks etc.

We did NOT get currency for Iceland which we did on our own. One can charge EVERYTHING there..even an ice cream on the street.

We did see people on our cruise stuck in perhaps a local market without means to pay.

Credit cards are not always accepted when you are buying a small basket of strawberries!

There was no down side to having our local currency delivered to us at home...arrived the next day.

In expensive countries like Sweden we got $100.00 worth, inexpensive countries like Poland $50.00.

We travel quite a bit and always order Euro and those we keep for further travel.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! We are very excited. First time on Ocean cruise.

Hey JiminyC I think you just returned from the Ocean Homeland trip. I can't find the thread but I want to know abut the currency you took. Did you run across any restrooms that you had to have money. We are traveling in Aug 19 starting in Norway.

Can I go with you? I am already on withdrawal. We took every currency but rubles and extremely glad we did. We got all of them at a Wells Fargo bank and exchanged the leftovers there, also. It was so much easier than hunting down an ATM and wasting precious port time. A couple of times we ran into credit systems being down so having the cash saved us. We, also, liked tipping in their currency.

Euros are sometimes accepted but don't depend on it.

I was shocked but not once did we have to pay for restrooms. Our guides always pointed out where the free ones were and at the same time would tell us the next time one would be available.

You will absolutely love this trip. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Please check in when you get back. Would love to hear from you!

Can I go with you? I am already on withdrawal. We took every currency but rubles and extremely glad we did. We got all of them at a Wells Fargo bank and exchanged the leftovers there, also. It was so much easier than hunting down an ATM and wasting precious port time. A couple of times we ran into credit systems being down so having the cash saved us. We, also, liked tipping in their currency.

Euros are sometimes accepted but don't depend on it.

I was shocked but not once did we have to pay for restrooms. Our guides always pointed out where the free ones were and at the same time would tell us the next time one would be available.

You will absolutely love this trip. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Please check in when you get back. Would love to hear from you!

Thanks for the scoop!

Hope this helps!

My experience on May-June Homelands cruise as well.

Loved not having to run around and find a safe ATM for local currency.

Put each local currency in a separate envelope with the country name and date/day on it. Easy.

Toilet coins not the issue like on river cruises in mainland Europe. Most were provided via guide, e.g. museum. In Norway on an excursion I used my credit card at a waterfall store stop to get a coin for a toilet. That was it for the entire cruise.

My experience on May-June Homelands cruise as well.

Loved not having to run around and find a safe ATM for local currency.

Put each local currency in a separate envelope with the country name and date/day on it. Easy.

Toilet coins not the issue like on river cruises in mainland Europe. Most were provided via guide, e.g. museum. In Norway on an excursion I used my credit card at a waterfall store stop to get a coin for a toilet. That was it for the entire cruise.

Thanks for the information!