Britannia -Black tie

doog442

Sorry should be Britannia - cant change title - great start:D

My last cruise was Celebrity, prior to that OV.

On those occasions I wore blazer and tie on formal evenings however on a cruise in a couple of weeks and have read that 90% are DJ's or tux.

I don't possess either but have no real issue with popping down to M&S but as this cruise may be our last for some time I'm struggling to justify the expense...or should I ?

We always adhere to dress code, just wondering , would blazer / smart trousers / tie etc be acceptable or would I be banished to the buffet.

Edited by doog442

You'll get a wide and varied response to your question. I don't know where the 90% figure came from but 89.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

IMO the vast majority of men dining in the MDR will be wearing dinner suits and a very small number will be wearing dark suits. I think you will get away with a blazer but you don't sound like the sort of person who would be happy with that so I would suggest that you get a dinner suit.

You'll get a wide and varied response to your question. I don't know where the 90% figure came from but 89.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

IMO the vast majority of men dining in the MDR will be wearing dinner suits and a very small number will be wearing dark suits. I think you will get away with a blazer but you don't sound like the sort of person who would be happy with that so I would suggest that you get a dinner suit.

The vast majority will do me, we like to make an effort and as its a special occasion . I've slipped by the wayside in early retirement but the good lady loves looking the part and I guess I really should try harder :-)

Don't know why people get so hung up with having to wear tux or dj

On our last cruise on Arcadia , I saw men wearing a shirt and black tie and on our table , a man wearing a light cream suit which looked very smart. No one battered an eyelid. Relax and enjoy , after all you are on holiday.

My OH bought a tux from Matalan and a very nice white dinner jacket in a sale for £50 on EBay. We enjoy having the chance to dress up.

We were on Britannia a few weeks ago and remarked how many young men had made the effort to look smart. Many were wearing tuxes and others in smart suits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband recently bought a gorgeous dinner suite with white shirt, bow tie and cummerbund from an online company called Dobell. He customised the package, you could chose which shirt, and accessories to go with it, he opted for burgundy.

My husband recently bought a gorgeous dinner suite with white shirt, bow tie and cummerbund from an online company called Dobell. He customised the package, you could chose which shirt, and accessories to go with it, he opted for burgundy.

Just had a look at that website. It looks very good and has an excellent range. How was the quality?

Just had a look at that website. It looks very good and has an excellent range. How was the quality?

Good quality, speedy delivery, well packed on hangers and folded carefully fully in plastic. Came with a very good quality suit bag too. Fits him very well.

Just done a Britannia cruise and not everyone dresses up on black tie night, smart shirt and trousers are acceptable. My husband and I personally like to get dressed up but it's not for everyone :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you Scottish Doog? The kilt and jacket is an alternative which will endure beyond the cruise.

Regards John

I'm half Scottish:D, that aside I've just got a new dinner suit from M&S and compared to the cruise price it was totally insignificant despite my worries. Its a special occasion and we're both looking forward to the formal nights.

Its the first time from Southampton, we live close by so will bring the full clobber to cover all angles as weight isn't an issue...

Can't wait cheers ..

Sorry should be Britannia - cant change title - great start:D

My last cruise was Celebrity, prior to that OV.

On those occasions I wore blazer and tie on formal evenings however on a cruise in a couple of weeks and have read that 90% are DJ's or tux.

I don't possess either but have no real issue with popping down to M&S but as this cruise may be our last for some time I'm struggling to justify the expense...or should I ?

We always adhere to dress code, just wondering , would blazer / smart trousers / tie etc be acceptable or would I be banished to the buffet.

My husband hasn't taken his dinner suit for years. Just take a dark suit and you will be fine. These days with baggage restrictions, its all but impossible to pack everything.

mummsie

I'm half Scottish:D, that aside I've just got a new dinner suit from M&S and compared to the cruise price it was totally insignificant despite my worries. Its a special occasion and we're both looking forward to the formal nights.

Its the first time from Southampton, we live close by so will bring the full clobber to cover all angles as weight isn't an issue...

Can't wait cheers ..

I've no doubt you'll have a great time.

My husband hasn't taken his dinner suit for years. Just take a dark suit and you will be fine. These days with baggage restrictions, its all but impossible to pack everything.

mummsie

The advantage of a dark suit over a dinner suit (I have both) is that the dark suit is more adaptable, you can wear the trousers without the jacket and your santa tie would not look right with your tux.

Wearing a tux is easy for some, no agonising over what colour shirt and tie, just bung it on and you are good to go. Cheap too, my M&S washable one cost less than my navy suit which needs dry cleaning. I still prefer the dark suit though, if I take one at all. Why not just take a tux? Answer is you just look like one of the common herd, which is what many people may prefer.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Brittania to the Fjords next week for a 7 day cruise. DH is insisting he doesn't need his tux and is taking smart blazer and smart jacket. I hope this will get us into Freedom dining for the second formal night. The first formal night we are eating in Limelight Club for the Eric and Ernie show and that code says smart casual.

My father-in-law forgot his suit on our last cruise. We asked at Reception and were told he had to wear a jacket on formal nights, so your husband will be OK, as long as he wears his jacket with a tie. My son doesn't wear a suit as such just jacket and trousers with a bow tie, still looks very smart.

We are on Brittania to the Fjords next week for a 7 day cruise. DH is insisting he doesn't need his tux and is taking smart blazer and smart jacket. I hope this will get us into Freedom dining for the second formal night. The first formal night we are eating in Limelight Club for the Eric and Ernie show and that code says smart casual.

As we all know, the dress code is DJ or dark suit for MDR. Anyone who tries to get in wearing anything other than that is just looking for trouble. Personally I think its a little pathetic. Why not just go to the buffet?

As we all know, the dress code is DJ or dark suit for MDR. Anyone who tries to get in wearing anything other than that is just looking for trouble. Personally I think its a little pathetic. Why not just go to the buffet?

I agree, go to the buffet or choose a cruise company which is more appropriate

I agree, go to the buffet or choose a cruise company which is more appropriate

We saw a gentleman on one of our formal nights ( sat at our shared dining table ) on Arcadia in a cream coloured suit and tie and he looked very smart. To be honest , who cares. Nobody at the table passed comment and he was obviously allowed in. I can think of much more important rules on board than whether they are wearing a tux or not.