Nephew broke arm on cruise - bunk beds unsafe

maxbcfc

Hi there,

Newphew just got back from 18 day cruise and came back with a broken arm after falling off the bunk bed.

bunk beds didn't have any railings and was advised (after) they should of, i always thought they look a bit unsafe for small children from the photos...

anyone got any advice/experience in this matter... should they have had railings on? should they have done that for them? thank you

We have taken children aged 4 on 2 cruises and both times there were bars on the bunks. We did not request them, but both times the room steward remarked that we needed to be careful that they did not try to climb down by themselves as thry could fall and hurt themselves. If there had not been rails I would have requested them.

Hi there,

Newphew just got back from 18 day cruise and came back with a broken arm after falling off the bunk bed.

bunk beds didn't have any railings and was advised (after) they should of, i always thought they look a bit unsafe for small children from the photos...

anyone got any advice/experience in this matter... should they have had railings on? should they have done that for them? thank you

When our children have used Pullman berths there has always been a short guard rail up by the head and another towards the end, I think, but certainly not a rail all round.

Hope your nephew recovers soon.

It is up to parents to take care of their childrens safety .

Not from our experience of P&O bed configurations. They refuse to let you have a queen size bed under your child's pullman. They say it's "for safety reasons", but you can't get two P&O employees to give you then same details for what entails "safety reasons".

We said we'd rather our child fell a few feet less onto a softer target than hitting the deck. After much argument has the intervention of about ten P&O employees we got our request.

Back to the original post - the pullman had a bar on the side to stop the child falling out.

Alternately, some cabins have the extra bed as a sofa bed.

Many years ago, when my children were young, P&O used to give you an extra, child friendly, padded safety rail for the upper pullman beds in addition to the metal rails at the head of the bed maybe they don't do that these days :( they were vital especially for my son who was very fidgety

If memory serves me right the side bars are normally folded under the mattress and only deployed when mid aged children use the upper berths as they are normally a nuisance to adults and older children. If parents have any concerns about the safety of their children using the upper berths then why not use them themselves and allow the child to sleep in the lower berth.

I slept in the upper berth when our children were small it was no real hardship.

When we sailed with our son, there were railings on the upper berth. Didn't stop my wife worrying about him falling out though ... any movement on the sea resulted in me having to sleep in the upper berth! Climbing up the ladder felt unsafe but once I was in the berth I felt quite snug.