3 Days in San Francisco

Anyone here done the Monterey, Carmel and 17 Mile Day Trip?

I know it will be a long day but is it worth it? And on a more personal note; are there frequent bathroom stops? Sadly I'm of an age where these things matter :o

Not sure if you are referring to a specific tour or to just go OYO. Lived most of my life in N. Cal so have done this dozens of times. We usually stay over but that is by choice. Yes it can be done in a day but as you note it will be a long day. Plenty of places to stop for restrooms. In U S we can always use fast food restaurants as well as gas stops.

The question of it's worth is relative and subjective. When I was young it was a place to visit family, nowadays it is a quick weekend getaway. For you the question has to be its value as compared to what else you might do in 3 days in the Bay Area. Carmel is cute, very artsy with lots of shops and galleries. Monterey is more historic with some interesting walks and now one of the worlds best Aquariums to visit. The 17 mile drive is pretty, passes gorgeous homes as well as the sites of the areas famed golf courses, Pebble Beach, Spyglass, etc. When down for a day or two we usually spend time just walking the beaches and strolling around but that's because we have done the must sees beforehand.

If you are driving yourself it will matter where you are leaving from and the day of the week. Coming out of SF you need to know that the first part through San Jose will be a commute nightmare on a weekday. If you are comfortable with the driving, stretch the day by doing dinner in the Monterey area and returning later after the commute.

Should have said it's a Viator day trip.

Then a lot will depend on what the tour plans to do. Will they be mainly driving by sites, will you be going into places and will you be given any free time to explore on your own. One spot I left out of my previous response was the Carmel mission, one of the missions founded throughout California by Father Serra. Remember that viator does not actually operate the tour,it simply sells other tour company products.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Should have said it's a Viator day trip.

As far as I know, Viator is reselling the Grayline Tour. Here is the detailed itinerary.

If enough people on the ship sign up, the larger buses have restrooms on them, the smaller ones don't.

Other than that you'd have to Depend on other options. :)