Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I am closer to retirement than I was yesterday:D. I have countdown app on my phone and am delighted that it turned over from 5 yrs + to 4 yrs +!

711 actual work days ( I work 3 12 hr days per week plus extra sometimes). I think about it every day.

I was on here almost 3 years ago. Glad to see it still going. It would take a ball and chain to get me back to work now.. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Going on a cruise to Alaska with my son from Chicago and his family in a couple of weeks. Last August we went with my son from San Antonio on a cruise. So my granddaughter who just turned 6 and lives near us said next August with get to go on a cruise.

I was on here almost 3 years ago. Glad to see it still going. It would take a ball and chain to get me back to work now.. lol

Any words of wisdom for those of us in the less than 5 years til freedom category? Recently had a family member tell us we shouldn't retire.. ever!

Going on a cruise to Alaska with my son from Chicago and his family in a couple of weeks. Last August we went with my son from San Antonio on a cruise. So my granddaughter who just turned 6 and lives near us said next August with get to go on a cruise.

Alaskan cruises are so great! Have fun!

Any words of wisdom for those of us in the less than 5 years til freedom category? Recently had a family member tell us we shouldn't retire.. ever!

Everyone is different, but weigh your options and do what you want to do, not what someone else thinks you should do. And Freedom is a very good way of putting it! Loving my freedom!😁

Can I ask how old you are? I am a teacher. My partner teacher just retired at the age of 70. I am 65 and plan to work for 2 more years. We love to cruise.

This is just ME speaking. If I could still work (they moved to another state), I would. I am 74, although most people say I look 5 - 10 years younger, and most of the time, I feel that way.:)

Yes, I would like to continue to cruise as well, but MONEY is a big factor, and I'm thankful for the income that is coming in. We have 3 grown sons, and 15 grandchildren, so if possible, we try to help them out every once in a while, so thus, the money is going other places too.

I will say since I retired in February, these past months, I have really been kept busy, as I believe the months, especially here in Missouri, we are out doing things, etc., where winter is something else. Guess I would like to work in the winter, and be off for the summer. :)

188 days till my last day of work. I am 55 and my wife will retire 3 years later. After that, we can cruise whenever we wants (time wise, not $ wise).

Will be going for a 2 weeks "pre-retirement" holiday in Dec. Upon return, will retire in exactly one month.

I'm 60 and DH is 63. He plans to turn his business over to our son in 2 years and will continue to help him as needed. He plans to continue to farm until 70. My job is very stressful, and although I like many aspects of it I am ready to leave as soon as I can. Have 4 grown kids and 7 granddaughters. I take care of my granddaughters during the school year on my days off. There are lots of reason to not HAVE to keep working. The commute in the winter time is scary. My hours are long as well, leaving the house At 5:45 and getting home at 8:45-9:30.pm. 4 years 11 months and I hope to be able to leave. Is love to have a small business of my own then but not sure what that would be. No matter what I know I won't be idle.

188 days till my last day of work. I am 55 and my wife will retire 3 years later. After that, we can cruise whenever we wants (time wise, not $ wise).

Will be going for a 2 weeks "pre-retirement" holiday in Dec. Upon return, will retire in exactly one month.

Retiring at 55....congratulations! That was my goal. Now, my DH & I will put in between 3-5 more years. 5 years puts me at 59 y.o.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I'm 60 and DH is 63. He plans to turn his business over to our son in 2 years and will continue to help him as needed. He plans to continue to farm until 70. My job is very stressful, and although I like many aspects of it I am ready to leave as soon as I can. Have 4 grown kids and 7 granddaughters. I take care of my granddaughters during the school year on my days off. There are lots of reason to not HAVE to keep working. The commute in the winter time is scary. My hours are long as well, leaving the house At 5:45 and getting home at 8:45-9:30.pm. 4 years 11 months and I hope to be able to leave. Is love to have a small business of my own then but not sure what that would be. No matter what I know I won't be idle.

I only have 2 of my 6 grandchildren who live near me. My granddaughter comes to my school. So after school she comes home with me until about 6:30 pm when her parents are done working. In two years, I will be 67 and she will be in third grade which is the grade I teach so I think I may retire then.

At the end of this month, I'll be down to 16 marbles (months)....I started the marble jar at 48 months so I'm 2/3rds of the way there!

Still making plans for retirement, where I'll live and so forth, and have booked a cruise for January 2019 as a retirement gift to myself.

Happy planning for those, like me, who are still working their way towards retirement and enjoy to those who've already got there!

Everyone is different, but weigh your options and do what you want to do, not what someone else thinks you should do. And Freedom is a very good way of putting it! Loving my freedom!😁

Hi, saw you on another post about diamond benefits (drinks). We are going with my son and family from Chicago on a cruise to Alaska Aug. 11 on Explorer. We can't drink so we will give our drinks to them.

Hi, saw you on another post about diamond benefits (drinks). We are going with my son and family from Chicago on a cruise to Alaska Aug. 11 on Explorer. We can't drink so we will give our drinks to them.

Hi Shirley!! We've been doing NCL so long, but I wouldn't mind going back to Royal. My next cruise is in 3 months out of N.O. I wish it was next week! Y'all have fun!!

Finally after one verbal and two written requests for early retirement, my company has acknowledged and put a retirement date of 1 October into my calendar. Only sixty days to go! We have booked a transatlantic from Florida to Barcelona on the Norwegian Epic for next April, will spend 18 days in Europe, then cruise back to New York on the Carnival Horizon.

Sentrydriver

Well done to you, and your trip sounds fantastic.

At my own doing, my personal countdown clock has now beenre-set from Oct 2018 when I will be 60 to May 2019 when I will take a fresh lookat things again. Therefore, Only 660 days to go. I have decided to skid things out a wee bit tohelp fund an extra trip to Australia / Asia. We did this trip earlier this year andenjoyed it so much we now plan to go back. I now plan to cram in the bigger tripswhist I am still working to help fund them and of course whilst we can from ahealth point of view. I had originally planned to do Sydney to Seattle(or vice versa) re-positioning but I willleave that for another time and once I finally retire for good as my work wouldn't allow me 4+ weeks away.

rompes, we seem to have a similar retirement schedule. I have booked that Sydney to Seattle cruise in April 2019 and if all goes right I won't have enough vacation time and will "have " to retire. So if 660 days is considered close to retirement than I guess I am qualified to post to this thread. 🤔 This is the plan anyway. Will see how it goes. Good luck and smooth sailing to everyone.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congratulations! I have 141 days left but who's counting. :) I retire 1 week after my 56th birthday. The next day we go in vacation to spend Christmas in Mexico. My wife retires on January 4, 2018. Two days later, we go on a 10 day Caribbean cruise. Can't wait!

rompes, we seem to have a similar retirement schedule. I have booked that Sydney to Seattle cruise in April 2019 and if all goes right I won't have enough vacation time and will "have " to retire. So if 660 days is considered close to retirement than I guess I am qualified to post to this thread. 🤔 This is the plan anyway. Will see how it goes. Good luck and smooth sailing to everyone.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi,

Well done to you for booking that and I envy you. In my humble opinion, anything less than 5 years to go till "R" day, is within the "countdown" phase so I think we well qualify. If you haven't been to Sydney before then you are in for a great time, as its a beautiful city and the Blue Mountains are well worth a visit.

Congratulations! I have 141 days left but who's counting. :) I retire 1 week after my 56th birthday. The next day we go in vacation to spend Christmas in Mexico. My wife retires on January 4, 2018. Two days later, we go on a 10 day Caribbean cruise. Can't wait!

Well done to you and I can't think of a better way to start retirement than with a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

Well done to you for booking that and I envy you. In my humble opinion, anything less than 5 years to go till "R" day, is within the "countdown" phase so I think we well qualify. If you haven't been to Sydney before then you are in for a great time, as its a beautiful city and the Blue Mountains are well worth a visit.

I have a question. Planning on going to Australia for the first time in December, 2018. Was looking at spending Christmas in Melbourne and New Years Eve in Sydney. Your thoughts since I have never been? Is Sydney too crazy to go there for NYE? Looking to spend 4 to 5 weeks there so any tips would be great! TIA