Timing of Juneau whale tour

dcassetta

We arrive relatively late into Juneau, but stay until 10. Planning to book a whale tour on our own and trying to decide if booking a later tour would provide a better experience. We could go with a 1:30 tour right when the ship arrives or wait until 4:30. Any advice is appreciated.

Are the tours exactly the same time? Sometimes evening tours are shorter.

Do you have other plans you wish to include? What is your preference for the entire port day? Planning on spending most of the time in Juneau? Anything else you already have selected to include that day?

The tours are the same. We also plan to visit Mendenhall, and could do that either before or after the whale tour. It seemed that the bigger tours all go at 1:30, so wondered if a 4:30 tour would have fewer boats to navigate around.

• 5 months later...

I, too, am very interested in timing. We will be doing the glacier close-up, small boat tour in the morning and our small ship doesn't return us to port till after 1:30. We have a choice of 3:30 or 4:30 tour in late August and I am wondering if later might mean fewer boats? Or if later means fewer whales? Here's hoping the whales feed heavily all day!

While I would love to see the glacier, my husband cannot walk far without resting. From what I have read, endenhall is an uphill climb even just to the visitor center. Is that correct? Also if we elect the 4:30 whale watch would the glacier be accessible at that later time. Many have written that it closed right when they go there and they were quite disappointed!

The tour operators will be better to answer questions about Mendenhall hours.

Yes, there is a minor incline from the bus to the visitor center. But once there... an elevator takes you up and down.

This streetview shows the path from the bus depot to the visitor center. I think I see a ramp to the right.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@58.4165966,-134.5468662,3a,75y,45.65h,86.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1saYQUYtdyST2EBnC0k6swIQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DaYQUYtdyST2EBnC0k6swIQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D121.1835%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

you can see the elevator sign in this picture from the web.

blva3f2QopiuWRcEn9yKXoCR6ZTDmg4FGkYASk0sVrY.jpg

While I would love to see the glacier, my husband cannot walk far without resting. From what I have read, endenhall is an uphill climb even just to the visitor center. Is that correct? Also if we elect the 4:30 whale watch would the glacier be accessible at that later time. Many have written that it closed right when they go there and they were quite disappointed!

First- Mendenhall does NOT "close". the Visitor Center is open until evening. Shuttle buses do stop running but a cab can be called. Photo Point trail is slightly up hill. What you are "hearing" is inaccurate. There is an elevator to the Visitor Center, or an accessible ramp.

IF you take the 4:30p you would not be going to Mendenhall, after the whale watch, go there first, then direct to the whale watch.