Princess Pre booked Shore Tours.

We are a small family group, two parents, two grandparents and three female children in three cabins, with a child in each. Are we able to pool our OBC (total $900) to pay for shore tours or is each cabin segregated to it's own OBC.

Regarding pre booked shore tours, I am led to believe that the following occurs.

1. No shore tours can be pre reserved till 180 days prior to sailing.

2. After the 180 days limit you can pre book shore tours, but they have to be paid at time of booking by credit card. (not able to use OBC).

3. After boarding, OBC may be used to pay for shore tours.

4. If shore tours are cancelled (by them or by you) prior to boarding, money already paid (credit card) is refunded back into your OBC portfolio.

Is all the above true and if not then how does it operate.

All comments gratefully received.

1. Yes, excursions don't usually pop up until around 180 days before your departure date.

2. Princess have brought in a change recently requiring excursions to be paid at time of booking. In some cases OBC can be used for this but I'm not sure how it would work if the OBC isn't against each cabin.

3. Yes, if you book onboard then you can use the OBC to pay for the excursions. If the accounts for all three cabins are linked to the same credit card then I believe that the OBC can be "shared" as the amounts charged to each cabin would nett out. The only downside to waiting until you board to book an excursion is that popular excursions may be sold out.

4. Yes, if a prepaid excursion is cancelled by the cruise line, or by the passengers before the cancellation date, then the cost is refunded to your onboard account.

Just a note regarding OBC - it comes in two forms:

Non-refundable - typically given to you by the cruise line as part of a promotion.

Refundable - OBC that you have purchased, or that someone else has purchased for you as a gift. I think OBC provided by a travel agent may fall into this category.

Non-refundable OBC is always used first.

If you don't use all your OBC then only the refundable portion is refunded, usually by cheque a few weeks after the cruise ends.

It's not necessarily 180 days before that tours are available. I booked (and paid) for mine well over 230 days before the cruise. Keep checking the personaliser to see when they open up. Although you can use OBC to pre pay (it's the default) you may have trouble with the distribution of the OBC, ring Princess and they can book it easier than you can online.