Mendenhall glacier ice adventure with liquid Alaska tours in Juneau

JP-Cruise

I just came back from cruisetour with norwegian 2 days ago and thought I would right this little review for anyone who is in Juneau for a short time like 5 - 5 and a half hours.

I booked the Mendenhall glacier ice adventure tour with liquid Alaska tours. This turned out to be the best experience of my entire life! This is an independent company off the cruise ship and they were the friendliest and most professional guides. They met me right in front of my ship at 7:15 promptly. Drove us to the Mendenhall lake where we canoed to the glacier took about 20 minutes. We saw 100's of beautiful birds such as arctic terns along the way circling and diving down in the water. Then around the corner there it was, Mendenhall Glacier. It was an emotional experience for me seeing the glacier upclose like that. Then when we landed ashore, took a nice break, ate our provided snacks, then hiked to the caves. The guides provide everything with high rubber boots, rain gear etc. We were hiking through the streams, through the incredible ice caves. When we came out of the caves we then put on our crampons and proceeded up the glacier. If you want a unique Alaskan experience. Then this tour is definitely for you. I would go again in a heartbeat

• Like 3

Exciting! We booked a similar trip (kayak + trek) with Above and Beyond Alaska for August. I know it's going to be the highlight of our trip - hoping to

experience an ice cave!

That's awesome! I guarantee you this will be a highlight of your trip :). Ya the one thing I was nervous about was not being able to go into the caves. Since they do have it on their website that "they only go into the caves if it is safe enough". And the guides told me they monitor the caves on a tour by tour basis. That was the first thing I asked my guide when I met him in front of my ship if we are going into the caves today lol. He says yup! :). I was so thrilled! I think it's safe to say that judging by all the reviews on trip advisor and cruise cruising. 9 times out of 10 people get to go into these caves :). I've only come across very very few people that couldn't go in. Take lots of pictures and videos :)

I did this tour too, and it was absolutely awesome!

The best excursion I've ever been on.

Here is a couple pictures I took:

0610171142_HDR.jpg

0610171210f_HDR.jpg

Oh those are absolutely stunning! It rained Paddling the way there but I totally didn't mind. It definitely added to the adventurous experience. And it stopped raining as soon as we got on the shore. Incredible. This excursion I would definitely do again 100%

When we got off the boat it was misting / sprinkling.

I was worried it would rain, and we wouldn't like the canoeing in the rain.

When we meet our tour guide, she said it was PERFECT weather. That you want it to be cloudy and a little misty as the water on the lake is smother this way. If it is sunny, the winds pick up, and cause more waves and is harder to paddle.

By the time we got to the lake, it had already stopped sprinkling, and it was just a cloudy (perfect) day.

I heard several helicopter tours were canceled in the morning we were there (but were running later in the day.)

• Like 1

When we got off the boat it was misting / sprinkling.

I was worried it would rain, and we wouldn't like the canoeing in the rain.

When we meet our tour guide, she said it was PERFECT weather. That you want it to be cloudy and a little misty as the water on the lake is smother this way. If it is sunny, the winds pick up, and cause more waves and is harder to paddle.

By the time we got to the lake, it had already stopped sprinkling, and it was just a cloudy (perfect) day.

I heard several helicopter tours were canceled in the morning we were there (but were running later in the day.)

My guide told is the exact same thing! Isn't Mother Nature incredible. They said they only had to cancel 2 tours this season because it was sunny and too crazy windy that it was way too dangerous to be on the glacier

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2017 at 8:28 PM, JP-Cruise said:

I just came back from cruisetour with norwegian 2 days ago and thought I would right this little review for anyone who is in Juneau for a short time like 5 - 5 and a half hours.

I know that this review is 1 1/2 years old but I was hoping that you could share information on how steep or strenuous the hike on the glacier is. Thanks!

Not strenuous at all! :) It totally depends on your state of mind and attitude, attitude is everything! You will be so filled with emotion by viewing the beautiful “other worldly” scenery that you won’t even be thinking about how the level of difficult of the hike because you will be so full of adrenaline ;). The guides were very good with helping people cross the streams and hike up to the top of the glacier. Everyone stayed together and we all helped each other. My personal favourite was crossing the streams wearing the high rubber boots. It was so epic I felt like I was on a nature expedition;). Crossing the stream wasn’t bad, it wasn’t rough at all. You just take your time and focus on your footing. And you will be totally safe and have the time of your life. I also suggest getting a go pro. When I went I requested a helmet with a go pro mount on it. And they reserved one for me. I recorded the whole entire excursion. Best footage ever!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/3/2019 at 2:18 PM, JP-Cruise said:

The guides were very good with helping people cross the streams and hike up to the top of the glacier.

You just take your time and focus on your footing. And you will be totally safe and have the time of your life. 

We did this on my husband’s 65th birthday and it was AMAZING! The guides were fabulous and patient and we did have the time of our lives.

Thanks for your encouragement.