The question no one asks

hawkeye65

Which ships did you sail on? I was on three different ships both Avalon and AMA and there were NO tables for 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cannot remember table options on Avalon but we have had the option of a table for 2 on all of our 8 AMA cruises. Sometimes it was a 4 top and we asked to have it set for 2.

As an introvert married to an extrovert, I bemoan the lack of larger tables! On Avalon, I think there were 2 8-seaters (one on each side?) but it was hard to get a seat there because of a few larger family groups on our cruise. Large tables work well for us - I can remain introverted and quiet and my husband can talk to a few different people. Tables for 4 are hard because the other couple (usually) keep trying to involve me in the conversation :rolleyes: On the other hand, tables for 2 & 4 are constantly pushed together and pulled apart and the dining room is so small that you're functionally part of a larger group even if you are at a 2 person table. IF YOU WANT TO BE. No one really minds a little table cross-talk, and some welcome it more than others....

So, I agree that it is entirely possible to remain solitary IF YOU CHOOSE. If you're a solo traveler, no need to worry you'll be ignored! But if you don't want to engage, no one is going to make you. And I appreciate this!!!

(I also escaped to the upper deck - in December! - if I needed solitude ;p)

This is somewhat reassuring...I am also an introvert married to an extrovert.....we will be on Avalon next year and hope that we can find one of those large tables to sit at for just the reason you state....

Also very nice to hear we may be able get table for 2 if we want it.....

I cannot remember table options on Avalon but we have had the option of a table for 2 on all of our 8 AMA cruises. Sometimes it was a 4 top and we asked to have it set for 2.

I was on one AMA ship the AmaSonata. There were no tables for 2 offered. We sailed on a full ship. One evening we were the last to arrive and the Maitre D had to help us find seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For other introverts, if you're on a Viking cruise (and I'm sure other lines, but I'm only familiar with Viking), consider enjoying a meal on the Aquavit terrace if you need a break from larger table dining..

Couldn't agree with you more. The MDR gets too noisy for me. I can't follow the conversations going on unless the person is right next to me.

On both our Vantage and Viking cruises we ate mostly in the smaller dining area. Usually there is enough room that almost every couple gets their own 4 person table if they want. It is mostly the same people every night, so we wound up talking between tables, so you could be as sociable as you wanted.

Viking's Aquvit is at the front of the ship with the best view. Vantage's is at the rear. Having the barbecue grill 20 feet from your table was nice though.

Although not really regional cuisine, unless you include backyard variety. :D

Oh yes, the other passengers! Most on our trip were just lovely but there are always one or two pains! Our's were a woman that come on board sick and proceeded to infect half the ship. (so bad that the doctor was called to a number of times). She was most offended when someone suggested she should wear a face mask... and a very loud woman who drank too much!

As for the evening dining, some nights we were social and some nights too tired to want to make small talk and were grateful for the tables for 2. During the day though we made a point to trying to sit with different people in the lounge for port talks etc and managed to avoid the annoying ones and had a great time with the others.

Our only nightmare passenger experience was on our excellent Silversea Silver Spirit Mediterranean cruise. At Knossos, our guide asked everyone not to stop for lunch at the cafe because we needed to get back to the ship for lunchtime. Everyone after their free time was back on the bus ready to go except for 2. The perplexed guide finally found them eating lunch at the cafe. despite requests to leave, they took their time and of course we were late getting back for lunch. Folks aboard the bus were not happy.

A couple days later we're on gorgeous Santorini. We finished touring one town and met back at the bus to ride to another. Short 2 passengers. After a frantic 20 minutes of delay, searching and phoning the other busses, our guide there determined that 2 had just shown up at a different Silversea tour bus elsewhere. Yes, you guessed it, the same couple. We were cursed.

A previous poster mentioned sometimes being too tired to be social. That certainly happens and a table for two is great for that. It is also great when one just gets tired of eating multi course meals and would just like a big salad or an entree. I always feel awkward leaving a table early, especially when there are only four at the table.

All were AMA and all the ship I was on had tables for two.

Same for Uniworld. Also, it was rarely crowded in the dining room since not everyone arrived simultaneously so 4-tops were often used for couples.

Same for Uniworld. Also, it was rarely crowded in the dining room since not everyone arrived simultaneously so 4-tops were often used for couples.

That is one of my favorite things about Uniworld, the true flexibility in dining times.

Our only nightmare passenger experience was on our excellent Silversea Silver Spirit Mediterranean cruise. At Knossos, our guide asked everyone not to stop for lunch at the cafe because we needed to get back to the ship for lunchtime. Everyone after their free time was back on the bus ready to go except for 2. The perplexed guide finally found them eating lunch at the cafe. despite requests to leave, they took their time and of course we were late getting back for lunch. Folks aboard the bus were not happy.

A couple days later we're on gorgeous Santorini. We finished touring one town and met back at the bus to ride to another. Short 2 passengers. After a frantic 20 minutes of delay, searching and phoning the other busses, our guide there determined that 2 had just shown up at a different Silversea tour bus elsewhere. Yes, you guessed it, the same couple. We were cursed.

Obviously entitled... at least in their own mind. Surprised the guide didn't leave them there - when they didn't come back to the bus after being requested to do so. Allowing that behaviour just enables it - and encourages it to continue. I would certainly have been quite blunt in my evaluation of the cruise - when one couple is permitted to behave in a way that disadvantages other passengers.

Fran

Obviously entitled... at least in their own mind. Surprised the guide didn't leave them there - when they didn't come back to the bus after being requested to do so. Allowing that behaviour just enables it - and encourages it to continue. I would certainly have been quite blunt in my evaluation of the cruise - when one couple is permitted to behave in a way that disadvantages other passengers.

Fran

I completely agree and question the decision of the guide to compromise everyone else for the selfish behavior of two guests. I would have spoken up.

Been on 5 river cruises and would rather have a table for two. So, I guess you are wrong.

We have been on 8 river cruises...and as on ocean cruises we prefer tables for two as we have had many many bad experiences with table companions.. The one that took the cake were the Canadian and English couple. The husband of the Canadian couple was a **** airplane pilot during WW2. He admitted that he bombed the city of the English couple. The parents of the English couple's wife were killed in a bombing raid. Talk about a conversation stopper.

On our last cruise with only tables of 8 we attracted several very introverted couples who loved to sit with us. It was exhausting. I go on vacation to be with my husband. or Family.

It is a real issue.

I completely agree and question the decision of the guide to compromise everyone else for the selfish behavior of two guests. I would have spoken up.

I would have spoken to the cruise director when we returned to the ship the first time.

We have been on 8 river cruises...and as on ocean cruises we prefer tables for two as we have had many many bad experiences with table companions.. The one that took the cake were the Canadian and English couple. The husband of the Canadian couple was a **** airplane pilot during WW2. He admitted that he bombed the city of the English couple. The parents of the English couple's wife were killed in a bombing raid. Talk about a conversation stopper.

On our last cruise with only tables of 8 we attracted several very introverted couples who loved to sit with us. It was exhausting. I go on vacation to be with my husband. or Family.

It is a real issue.

Our usual practice on a river cruise is to move around a lot during the first couple of days, eating with different people at every meal. During that time we usually are able to identify couples that we seem to match up with pretty well. Then we try to seek them out--or they seek us out--for the rest of the cruise. It's worked amazingly well so far.

We just returned from an Emerald Waterways cruise. There were tables for two along the windows and other tables for four, six and eight in the rest of the dining room. We usually took a table for two for breakfast and then either sat with people we knew or joined ones we didn't at dinner, depending on the time we arrived at the dining room. We didn't have any unpleasant experiences with any people with whom we shared a table.

We are leaving the end of August on a 13,day river cruise the longest we have ever cruised! I am a bit apprenshive hoping we will be compatible with our table mates.. Our last cruise we went with another couple so we didn't mingle. Sometimes we found people get miffed if you don't return to the same table....One couple avoided us the entire cruise after we stated we like to eat and meet others at dinner..Just remember there are topics to avoid which I constantly emphasize to hubby before going to dinner:D...We all know what they are!