Cash, how much to bring? What currency?

tupperny

USAA initially said they were offering a true chip and PIN. Problems arose and they no longer do so. Like almost all other US cc , it's chip and signature.

Here is a tip. Unless you have adequate Euros do not drive on a French toll road. The toll machines take chip and PIN or Euro. They don't give back change. So if you're sitting there with a 50 Euro bill to pay an 18 Euro toll, thanks for the contribution!

Our experience was they don't even take Chip and PIN from US cards [our Barclay Arrival Plus that worked in other kiosks]. I have read that the French toll machines are coded to only accept European cards.

I understand that this is personal preference, but I am curious as to how much cash do people typically bring on river cruises?

We are doing a 2 week. I am thinking $400 US and taking out local currency as needed.

Thoughts?

Bill

Back to the original question, I'd not take any US currency, and just get Euros (or other local currency) as needed.

Back to the original question, I'd not take any US currency, and just get Euros (or other local currency) as needed.
You apparently are assuming the OP is traveling in Western Europe, but that was not stated. I have cruised on many rivers where US$ were preferred by vendors or were a close second (Amazon, Nile, Volga, Yangtze, Itrrawaddy, Mekong etc).

My Bank of America Travel Rewards VISA is a true chip and PIN card with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.

Bubulz;

Have you tried that card in Europe or Oz? Did you have to input only a PIN for all transactions, or was a signature ever required?

Not Bubulz but I have that card too.

I've used it all over Europe. In unattended kiosks I usually have to enter the PIN.

When it first came out a few years ago, they said it wasn't chip and PIN but I used it that way anyway. Now they say it will work as chip and PIN.

But (I think) there is still a difference between European chip and PIN vs. US ones. The US ones have to connect to a network to verify the PIN (that's why you can change your PIN easily). The European ones have the PIN burned into the chip. So an offline kiosk can process the European card but not the US one.

Edited to add: but I've still need surprised by places it has worked, and places it hasn't. On a driving trip through Switzerland we parked in a local lot in First, to ride a gondola. I figured there was no way it would work in the parking lot kiosk, which looked like an offline device. But it did. And conversely, the kiosks in the train stations in Denmark flat out rejected every CC I had this last May. But, my ATM card worked in those machines. Go figure!

Moral - don't depend on one card.

Edited by jpalbny

You apparently are assuming the OP is traveling in Western Europe, but that was not stated. I have cruised on many rivers where US$ were preferred by vendors or were a close second (Amazon, Nile, Volga, Yangtze, Itrrawaddy, Mekong etc).

Interesting. I've rarely taken (or had occasion to use) a lot of US currency while traveling extensively throughout Asia, etc.

Bubulz;

Have you tried that card in Europe or Oz? Did you have to input only a PIN for all transactions, or was a signature ever required?

JP's response pretty much summed up my experience. Moral of the story: Always carry more than one card, and be sure to notify the companies ahead of time of your travel plans.

From the OP:

Thank you all for the great advice.

We are going to Prague (pre-cruise) and then Budapest to Amsterdam (coming directly back to the states the same day).

Countries that we are visiting: Czech republic, Hungary, Austria, Germany and Netherlands.

It sounds as if ATM and fee-free credit card will work.

For the restrooms--coins or bills?

Thanks

Bill

My advice stands.

And typically coins for the restrooms.

True, Cambodia has its own currency but prefers US$. Ecuador's official currency is the US$. However, I would not try to pay with US$ in Europe. We carry Euros and local currency if needed.