Anyone else getting turned off by the port crowds?

lynncarol

I usually go with my 2 sisters. We live on the west cost, so to avoid flying we have mostly done Alaska, with one big trip to the British Isles. All the places we visited in the UK were crowded anyway. And yes, Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau are pretty full with 2 or 3 ships in port. But, not really more so than the little winery town I live in. A sunny 3 day weekend brings in a lot of people. I usually avoid the downtown area.

But the truth is the most crowded I ever felt was Disneyland in July. Wait, I take that back. Did a land tour in DC last spring with my siblings and we ended up being in town during the spring break trips of about a million 5th and 8th graders. LOL, it was a kind of crazy.

I haven't been to the Caribbean yet, maybe one day. But, if it's as crowded as you all say, maybe not.

I think it is an unanswerable question.

There are few 'undiscovered' places on this earth --

most of them in places where few people would be willing to travel (at least for now).

I always wanted to go to Angkor Wat -- I had this vision in my head from years ago that I'd get there and be one of only a few tourists. Well, I finally went last year and the crowds were amazing.

So much for the experience I'd imagined!

In Europe, I try to only travel in the off or shoulder seasons to avoid the worst crowds.

Nice post :hearteyes:

“I thought sooner or later, someone would start saying it had gone too far,

but it just kept on, and no one said anything. ”

Kazuo Ishiguro,

Never Let Me Go

I live in a cruise port city and keep a list of the days that cruise ships will be in port so I can avoid going out. When we cruise, we use the ship as our destination and rarely get off the ship.

I hear ya! We live by two big malls (one being the MOA), and we avoid driving roads by them, between Black Friday and Christmas... horrible traffic, and way too many people :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I hear ya! We live by two big malls (one being the MOA), and we avoid driving roads by them, between Black Friday and Christmas... horrible traffic, and way too many people :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We spend a couple of weeks on St. Maarten in January - and always prepare a list of cruise ship visits so we know what days to "shelter in place" - and we only go grocery shopping after 5:00 PM when all the back-to- ship traffic is over.

We have never liked crowds... find it really does not matter how you travel... it is very possible to avoid them... do not rush off ship for example, it is crowded wait... too crowded in port - stay on board and enjoy the absence of people around the ship... we rarely do any organized tours for the same reason... set on our own whether cruising for doing independent travel. Have over 50 cruises, on 9 different lines, been travel for 40 years... now the worse travel issue is flying... over booked flights... now that is a crowd issue that is difficult to avoid. LOL

Having already made one post on this subject there is a flip side to the coin. There are still places that welcome cruise ships and without them their economy would suffer.

A few years ago we visited Burnie in Tasmania where the Mayor met everyone off the ship and presented us with a pin! (It was the Rhapsody of the Sea). The town is not very big and lots of us ended up in a discount clothing shop on the main street where nearly everyone (ourselves included) bought goods. Speaking to the owner of the shop he said that without the ships they would really struggle and were very worried that the newer and much bigger ships may not be able to dock there and he didn't know what he would do.

So what's the answer to an impossible question? I don't want to be 'responsible' for the destruction of a town's heritage simply because so many people visit and want shops they can visit at home (!).

Perhaps the cruise lines should look at limiting the number of ships docked at any one time. Can't see it happening.

There are only so many islands/ports in tthe Caribbean, so many ports in Alaska etc. Until they 'grow' more islands ( we have watched as new ports have been developoed in recent years'., ports will be overwhelmed accommodating so many ships. All those ships need itineraries........ not tha t many people want cruises to nowhere. majority of cruisers seem to want some ports.

Having already made one post on this subject there is a flip side to the coin. There are still places that welcome cruise ships and without them their economy would suffer.

A few years ago we visited Burnie in Tasmania where the Mayor met everyone off the ship and presented us with a pin! (It was the Rhapsody of the Sea). The town is not very big and lots of us ended up in a discount clothing shop on the main street where nearly everyone (ourselves included) bought goods. Speaking to the owner of the shop he said that without the ships they would really struggle and were very worried that the newer and much bigger ships may not be able to dock there and he didn't know what he would do.

Agree! There are some ports that really do benefit from an occasional cruise ship. The damage only comes when "occasional" becomes a torrent. St Thomas is our favorite example of how too many cruise ships can ruin an entire region. There are other smart ports/islands that limit port calls (St Barts is a good example) to protect their region from the harm caused by the cruise ship masses. But consider that shop owner. Yes, he/she might benefit from huge numbers of cruisers. But then his rent would likely increase and many small (cute) shops would be forced out of business..replaced with the likes of Diamonds International. And eventually all those cute shops would be gone and there would then be 50 jewelry shops but no cute boutiques. We used to think that European ports were immune from such damage....but Italy has proven us wrong with Venice and La Spezia (which is quickly destroying all the charm of Cinque Terre). The Italians have already realized the error of their ways....but have acted to slowly to prevent permanent damage. Consider that the Italian government has now put up gates on the road to Riomaggiore...thinking that they can limit traffic to Cinque Terre....but this is not stopping the cruise masses.

In the USA there are some interesting examples. Charleston, SC built a nice cruise facility right in town thinking this would be good for tourism. But there has been strong push back from many other locals which has forced the port to limit the number of arrivals. Here is a link to an article on the issue:

http://www.postandcourier.com/business/letters-show-opposition-to-new-cruise-terminal/article_89c19a63-1899-53ff-a49e-3f7341aa794d.html

Some smaller cities and islands want to maintain their charm...and realize that allowing the hoards of daytime cruise ship visitors does not serve that purpose. Consider that cruisers do not fill local hotels, fill expensive local restaurants (at dinner time), etc. Many cruisers get lured to eyesores like Diamonds International,,,,while the really decent local jewelers get little business because they cannot afford the marketing (on ships) that has created companies like DI who essentially partner with the cruise ships. The DI store in Puerto Vallarta normally does not open until around 10am (and then does not attract much business from the 50,000+ Americans/Canadians who live or vacation in the region. But when a cruise ship docks at 7am....DI is open by 7:30am! Some might argue that DI helps the local economy...but this does not seem to be true. In many cases they import their employees (many of whom go back and forth between Caribbean shops and Alaskan shops depending on the season) and the profits go the NYC-based owners and cruise lines.

Hank

My husband and I have been cruising for over 25 years and have been to a lot of ports. We are now seriously considering putting a stop to our cruising. Why? With so many mega-ships in port, the crowds of people can be overwhelming. Traveling independently on land in the US or abroad seems to allow more flexibility and crowd avoidance and can be just as cheap as a cruise. Does anyone else share this opinion?

OP, sometimes we just get cruised out, it happens. I cruised from 2004-2012 and it was amazing and satisfied my thirst to see paradise in the Caribbean. Been there, don't that. I no longer choose to cruise (or fly).

However, had I not met my husband on Cruise #3 and together we discovered the joy of RVing, I'd probably still be cruising, as it's an amazing way to travel as a single lady.

But we have a new way of life now and we love it. No reason you can't do the same. Before we bought the RV, we'd take one week trips to different U.S. cities to explore. Really fun.

By this time next year, we'll be retired and living in Sequim, WA and traveling the country in our RV for half the year. Can't wait!

I'd be tempted to say "race you!" but alas I have to work a few more years. Then.... the Blue Hole. ;)

LOL, but I am retiring a little early (62) and forcing my husband to retire young at 54. I had to Google "Blue Hole" and it came up with Belize - really? :o ;)

We're going to be in Sequim in a month for a 3-dayer. Any suggestions for lunch on June 11th?

LOL, but I am retiring a little early (62) and forcing my husband to retire young at 54. I had to Google "Blue Hole" and it came up with Belize - really? :o ;)

We're going to be in Sequim in a month for a 3-dayer. Any suggestions for lunch on June 11th?

I've seen several blue holes in the Bahamas - I suppose there could also be some along the Central America coast.

• 2 months later...

Finally got back to this thread. (To be honest, I forgot where I posted it originally and found it only through checking my bios). Thanks to all of you for your feedback and thoughtful responses. We rarely take ship excursions...making our own arrangements. But my husband and I, like all tourists, want to see sites of significance and by that very nature, these tend to be crowded. I guess my comments were precipitated by our latest cruise: A 2016 September transatlantic from Copenhagen to Boston. Iceland (which we had visited indep. for a week in 2006) is now unbelievably crowded, and Halifax, which we had last seen in 2012, seemed to be overwhelmed by tourists. Obviously, not all of these visitors come by cruise ship but for us, maybe it's time to look for other options. 2017 will be the first year in a long time we don't cruise, at least once. Instead, we have signed up for a 17 day indep land tour of Peru, bracing ourselves for crowds (at least in Machu Picchu).

FYI, I was in Curacao Thursday and the construction material for that pier expansion is in place.

we sailed twice (or was it 3 times to St. B arts so,y es, , cruise ships go there. the island is beautiful, cannot handle a maga sh;ip but whether one goes to aan high tourtidy lovsion snf stays at a hotel or cruises, there, you will find lots of other tourists visitng, for the same reasons you are. It is hard for me to say, I want to go and have the place less crowded so I really don't want others there :evilsmile: It's okay for me to go but not for other people who want to see the same places and things I want to see.:eek: choose carefully the when and where you select your travel. That may help you choose relatively quiet times to visit some of the places you wish to visit and avoid high crowds. If one goes to Athens in summe,r expect lots of tourists at Acropolis.

Edited by sail7seas

Finally got back to this thread. (To be honest, I forgot where I posted it originally and found it only through checking my bios). Thanks to all of you for your feedback and thoughtful responses. We rarely take ship excursions...making our own arrangements. But my husband and I, like all tourists, want to see sites of significance and by that very nature, these tend to be crowded. I guess my comments were precipitated by our latest cruise: A 2016 September transatlantic from Copenhagen to Boston. Iceland (which we had visited indep. for a week in 2006) is now unbelievably crowded, and Halifax, which we had last seen in 2012, seemed to be overwhelmed by tourists. Obviously, not all of these visitors come by cruise ship but for us, maybe it's time to look for other options. 2017 will be the first year in a long time we don't cruise, at least once. Instead, we have signed up for a 17 day indep land tour of Peru, bracing ourselves for crowds (at least in Machu Picchu).

Whether you go by air or by cruise ship will not lessen the number of ships or touriss in port. You will still see the crowds in the same places.

I just returned from bermuda. We had flown there a number of times and stayed at resorts and ahve cruised there in the past. No matter my form of transportation,, it is equally busy.

Whether you go by air or by cruise ship will not lessen the number of ships or tourists in port. You will still see the crowds in the same places.

If you want to avoid crowds, go places in the off season. But of course then you'll have to put up with less than ideal weather. When I worked in London, it was dreary to start the day before sunrise and get off work after sunset (which is before 4 p.m. most of December). But it was great to get cheap seats for shows and concerts and not to have crowds at the museums on weekends.

Our next cruise is to the British Isles. We'll be the only ship in most ports. Only our day in Edinburgh will be shared with another ship, and it's the Pacific Princess with around 700 passengers.

Yes, very much so. Especially in the Caribbean and the Med. Plus we find the mass market cruise line itineraries very limiting. Especially in the Med, the Caribbean, and parts of Asia. So much so that now we are retired and have flexible schedules we are doing far less cruising in favour of independent land tours.

Authorities in Peru are starting to implement crowd control measures at Machu Picchu, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

We noticed crowd issues on our last trip in the Med, so next time we're looking to go there we'll have to look for a more out of the way option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruzincurt

Arrogant? Of course I realize we are all part of the 'problem'. But my original post implicated cruise ships as one possible source of crowds. Even you must admit that many port cities become much more crowded when a big cruise ship (or two or more) arrive.

So...for me the answer is to defer any more cruising in the near future. If I find that destinations visited on our own schedule are still so mobbed, I will be back to apologize.

Seems to me to be a bit arrogant to complain about crowds when you are there as a member of the "crowd" and therefore contributing to the said problem.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

Just a tad judgmental, don't you think?

There are places worth seeing - and many of them are impaired by crowds. To just complain is pointless; but to be aware - and to do some homework so as to experience them without the negative effect of crowds, is simply intelligent.

Of course, there is some argument for strictly limiting numbers- as St. Barths seems able to do, as Venice is considering, and as Peru is contemplating in the case of Machu Picchu.

In a related fashion, many communities in the U S are protecting their ambience by limiting development of high-density housing, while others "discriminate" against children by restricting ownership to persons 50 or 55 or older. As long as there is the right of self-government, communities, cities, or countries can protect special places by limiting over-use. And, as long as there is free speech, there will be those who will protest against any exclusionary policies.

After waiting well over an hour to board a (pre-paid) HO-HO bus in Barcelona, I learned one lesson. Don't buy that kind of ticket ahead of time or at least not until after checking cruisetimetables! But I actually knew "on paper" how many berths were going to be anchored -- I just didn't know what it mean TO US. After we had to bail on the second half of the Hop-on-Hop-off (pre-paid) trip, in order to make it back by All Aboard -- we found La Rambla to be crowded in a normal sort of way. It was possible to find a seat at a sidewalk wine cafe. It was NOT packed shoulder to shoulder as the port area had been.

Later on same cruise, we came up with our substitute for over-crowded HOHO buses: In Dubrovnik, we hailed a cab and the driver asked if we wanted a private drive up the "hill" instead of just a ride to the foot of the cable car. He stopped 4 or 5 times at photo ops, waited while we walked to the edge on top, told us stories about life there, and dropped us back at Old Town in lots of time to find lunch and souvenir shop. For scarcely more than the short-hop and the cable car was going to cost!