Denali today...bears, bears, and more bears

skiiergirl

Did the TWT (Tundra Wilderness Tour) today. It was long but so worth it. Our bus driver/guide said we were extremely lucky in the amount of animals we saw today. No moose spotting but numerous bears and caribou. Even saw a male bear chasing female with cubs away from "kill site". (Caribou killed by wolves.)

I'm glad you had a successful day at Denali. We did too! So amazing.

We did the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center on Sunday (wow! it's already been 4 days!) and also lucked out with good wildlife. We saw tons of caribou, as well as marmots, arctic ground squirrels, fox pups, black bears and several grizzly sows and cubs. Our big up-close moose sighting was about two miles in from the WAC and the moose walked right between our bus and the bus that left right after us. No clue how to post pictures but I'm not great with a camera anyway so you're better off using your imagination.

I thought we'd see more in the morning but we actually saw almost all the brown bears on the way back (so post-2:30pm). Also as a point of reference the people on the TWT all saw lots of wildlife and pretty universally the people on the NHT seemed like they were disappointed to not have seen wildlife. I felt sad for them. I don't think we saw any extra wildlife for having taken the shuttle to Eielson (as compared to where the TWT turns around) but it was a nice place to go to eat lunch, and take a break before heading back plus I'm sure every day is different so maybe some days those extra few miles do make a difference.

Us too on the 18th- Denali was fully out and visible so early on the bus ride. The caribou takedown site at Tolkat- we missed the grey wolves in the morning but saw the carcass in the afternoon. Many bears close by the shuttle bus.

Hike Horseshoe lake moose were out daily the 3 days we were there. 4 beavers too.

we experienced same- NHT guests in the WAC and hotel also voiced sadness with not seeing much.

We did see moose, snowshoe hare, pika ,arctic ground squirrel, golden eagle, bald eagle, black & brown bears & cubs, trumpeter sawns, ptarmigans. No wolf - we got up an hour to early LOL! seemed like all the buses for 3-4 hours that am were able to see the wolves

in the river bed

wonderful day on the shuttle bus to wonder lake