Anything poisoness in there

Goodmorning. My husband and I were just having a discussion about poisoness flora fauna in the snorkling areas on the Pacific island cruises. I saw a tricot snake but wasn't sure what was lurking in the water. Does anyone know of any poisoness things harmful to us nosey humans that live in the coral and. beaches. :cool: have a good day everyone

Sea snakes

Cone shells

Blue ring octopus

Stonefish

Lion fish

Moray eels

Various types of jellyfish (especially Box and Irukandji)

Some sea anemones

Some corals

and there's bound to be more.

The good news is that as long as you're sensible you won't come in contact with any of them. ;)

Goodmorning. My husband and I were just having a discussion about poisoness flora fauna in the snorkling areas on the Pacific island cruises. I saw a tricot snake but wasn't sure what was lurking in the water. Does anyone know of any poisoness things harmful to us nosey humans that live in the coral and. beaches. :cool: have a good day everyone

Welcome to the mighty CC, enjoy.

One thing missing from the list...DROP BEARS !!:* I hear they have migrated across the Pacific.

Welcome to the mighty CC, enjoy.

One thing missing from the list...DROP BEARS !!:* I hear they have migrated across the Pacific.

I think they are Aussies, so probably won't believe that one:D

But really don't touch anything and you're pretty safe. Sea snakes are pretty safe, check out this site - http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2014/may-26-14.html

"The tricot raye is a docile creature, even when roughly handled. As a result, children here sometimes play with kraits, draping them around their necks like striped scarves.

This is a dangerous game. Sea snakes and kraits produce cobra-related venom so concentrated that a tiny amount can kill a human. Even so, only one sea snake death (that of a child) has ever been recorded in New Caledonia. If undisturbed, sea snakes mind their own business and ignore people. "

And Reef sharks usually ignore humans

The one that is an unexpected hidden danger is the cone shell. People see a pretty shell on the beach and pick it up not realising that they have a venomous sting. I've seen them in Fiji and at Port Douglas.

As people have said, don't touch anything in the water. Don't touch the coral, especially don't stand on the coral.

Apart from various nasty jellyfish type creatures, the main problem is stonefish. Don't pick up rocks in the water, don't stand on rocks in the water. Don't walk through weedy areas. Don't swim or walk in muddy water. Wear some kind of footwear in the water, while they won't stop stonefish stings, they will minimise the damage. Also don't touch dead stonefish, they are still dangerous.

As for jellyfish. If you see them in the water get out. It doesn't matter if they are large or tiny, it's not worth the risk.

Apart from that, enjoy yourself.

If your on an organized tour. The leader will probably take to area where it is safe to touch things.

Thank-you for your input, but you did miss the fact that the LEADER will also scare off any nasties in the area.

This is why you should take and organised excursion.

We were on a glass bottom boat off Amadee island when M noticed a tricot snake that had somehow got on the boat. She figured there was only enough room on the boat for one of them and was about to bail out when the skipper flicked it into the water. We have seen many of these in the SP it's a case of leave them alone and they won't bother you.

It's also a good idea not to go into the water in bare feet and to wear reef shoes or old sneakers to protect your feet from standing on anything nasty in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your on an organized tour. The leader will probably take to area where it is safe to touch things.

Unless you are an overseas tourist, then they will forget to check you are on board and sail away without you.

Thanks for all your replies. I had a good laugh at " it's a moray" LoL

But as for the nasties ...hmmm think I'll stay on the ship!!

Nasties v unsupervised kids

Big choice. LoL

Thanks again everyone

Noooo don't stay on the ship just make sure your kids have reef shoes on in the water. We have seen Tricot snakes at various times - just leave them alone and they won't cause any problems. In so far as jelly fish are concerned they can be a problem in the islands at certain times of the year but the ones we have come across haven't been like the nasty ones in FNQ with the stings causing some discomfort and treated with vinegar.

I have seen the kids from the ship interacting with local children which IMO is a priceless experience for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums