Does Olaf regularly appear on the Fantasy?

Normally' date=' yes. The issue is that no character appearance can ever be guaranteed....people get sick, stuff happens. But the basic response is yes, Olaf is nearly always there.[/quote']

I figured you would have the answer. Thank you for for all of the daily answers and insight you provide on this board. Your wealth of knowledge has benefited a lot of cruisers and is much appreciated!

I figured you would have the answer. Thank you for for all of the daily answers and insight you provide on this board. Your wealth of knowledge has benefited a lot of cruisers and is much appreciated!

You're welcome! There are lots of DCL cruises in my history....and a few on other lines.

We were just on the Fantasy in June. He was not at our frozen meet and greet. And he wasn't anywhere to be found throughout the 10 days. When I asked about him, I was told he has not been at the meet and greets for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another way to manage the issue is to reserve the tickets on line in advance. Sometime during the first day or two of the cruise, stop by GS and ask whether he is expected to make an appearance. If he is not, hand in the tickets--your spot will be reallocated to another guest who requests them.

I wonder if his appearance is varying by ship....

I know you need to have tickets for the Anna & Elsa Meet & Greet, but does Olaf always appear too on the Fantasy? My son just wants to meet Olaf and doesn't care about meeting the princesses, so I don't want to take an opportunity from someone else if Olaf won't be there.

I've never seen him on the Fantasy, and we've done the AE MG last year and this.

The short version, pun intended, is that apparently due to the design of the costume he is very hard to cast, the size range is very specific, more so than most. So IF the ship happens to have a character cast member who can work in that costume they will make him available logistic permitting. If not, he won't be there, and there is no way to know for sure.

The short version, pun intended, is that apparently due to the design of the costume he is very hard to cast, the size range is very specific, more so than most. So IF the ship happens to have a character cast member who can work in that costume they will make him available logistic permitting. If not, he won't be there, and there is no way to know for sure.

Interesting...so what you are saying is that DCL does not routinely hire people who play only one character...which is not my understanding. Character actors are hired and trained for a particular role, including signature, actions, etc. Sure, some are able to fill multiple roles, but most play one character part. The main stage actors typically play 3 or more parts as well as serving as character attendants, but they are a different category. So you are saying that Disney/DCL has been unable to cast the role of Olaf in sufficient numbers to place him on board each cruise? Perhaps. But I don't believe that it is a "dumb luck" situation of happening to have someone on board to fill the costume and role. They HIRE for the role. And there are plenty of wanna be Disney actors out there, even very short ones!

The rules are different for fur and face characters, and within that different for Primary (show) and secondary characters.

If you are a face character or one who performs on stage, its likely you will be that character only (there are a few exceptions for stage characters where the same person performs two depending on the show). Also, if you are one of the big characters and have multiple appearances, etc you probably play only the one. However, due to the relative lack of crew space on ships, characters who only appear at one meet and greet perhaps or special events may be performed by someone already on the crew, logistics permitting, they will not necessarily board a cast member just for that role, its just not practical to have someone on board just to play Olaf for the Princess meet and greet for 2 hours (I am almost but not 100 percent sure if Olaf appears on Castaway the cast member is stationed there, not on a ship - would make sense too). But, if someone already on board can play Olaf (the training is significantly less intensive for fur characters than face since no voice work is required), then they have that option just by having the right gear on board. The same applies to other seasonal/topical characters related to current films, etc.

This is how it was explained to us during a video meet with DCL management in 2015, things may have changed of course since then. And I am not sure how the Marvel and Star Wars side of things work, if they are staffing those separately or using additional talent as needed.

It is worth nothing, as I mentioned above, the Olaf costume is very size sensitive, more so than most, that limits their options even more.

Interesting...so what you are saying is that DCL does not routinely hire people who play only one character...which is not my understanding. Character actors are hired and trained for a particular role' date=' including signature, actions, etc. Sure, some are able to fill multiple roles, but most play one character part. The main stage actors typically play 3 or more parts as well as serving as character attendants, but they are a different category. So you are saying that Disney/DCL has been unable to cast the role of Olaf in sufficient numbers to place him on board each cruise? Perhaps. But I don't believe that it is a "dumb luck" situation of happening to have someone on board to fill the costume and role. They HIRE for the role. And there are plenty of wanna be Disney actors out there, even very short ones![/quote']

Your explanation is not consistent with the experience of a dear friend who plays 3 different stage characters--one in each main stage show. Yes, there is the one main role they are hired for and have done many contracts in this role...and then there is a minor role in each of the other shows. When not appearing on stage or rehearsing, they also work as a character attendant. Many of the "characters" are assigned other duties such as character attendant when they are not appearing in costume.

In any event, it looks like Olaf will be a regular soon on at least one ship.

http://www.auditionsfree.com/2016/new-york-city-auditions-new-disney-cruise-line-show-casting-elsa-olaf/

and here's another

https://www.backstage.com/casting/disney-cruise-line-vocalists-nyc-104553/

It's not completely misaligned as Olaf is not a show character that I recall (unless in one of the newer shows), so it would still hold that unless someone already on cast was able to fit into and perform the role, they wouldn't have someone on board JUST to play Olaf for a meet and greet and because of the size requirements its far less likely they would have a compatible actor already available (unless there was a stage role with similar requirements).

The way it was explained secondary roles seemed more rare for performers who had other obligations besides the stage show, but in 2+ years Disney certainly could have expanded responsibilities. Or I may have interpreted it wrong (the way I understood it, if you do Mickey not only on stage but for multiple Meet and Greets you didn't have another role (or maybe not as many), but if you did Hades for example which does not do M+Gs you might have other roles or responsibilities). Apologies if I was unclear.

And also I am being specific to fur characters, I know the rules for face characters are different and not sure what the current ones are. Some cast members do both, which makes things even more confusing rule wise.

Your explanation is not consistent with the experience of a dear friend who plays 3 different stage characters--one in each main stage show. Yes' date=' there is the one main role they are hired for and have done many contracts in this role...and then there is a minor role in each of the other shows. When not appearing on stage or rehearsing, they also work as a character attendant. Many of the "characters" are assigned other duties such as character attendant when they are not appearing in costume.

In any event, it looks like Olaf will be a regular soon on at least one ship.

http://www.auditionsfree.com/2016/new-york-city-auditions-new-disney-cruise-line-show-casting-elsa-olaf/

and here's another

https://www.backstage.com/casting/disney-cruise-line-vocalists-nyc-104553/[/quote']

Actors, whether characters around the ship, on stage, or both are restricted in the number of hours they can work. These hours include the time spent with their dressers and/or make up assistants getting ready for a role. And the furries are very strictly regulated as to how much time they can spend in costume "on stage," meaning they can't remove a head, have a beverage, or whatever else to cool down. Other than those characters that make stage appearances, there is usually a separation between the theatre actors and the character actors.

If they can fulfill all their character responsibilities and have permitted work hours left over, they will be assigned other duties. If their primary duties take all their permitted work hours, additional duties will occur only in an emergency. Many serve in positions at muster stations or directing guests to those stations, etc.

Obviously, if you are Mickey and appearing in costume every day, sometimes a couple of appearances per day you are not likely to be assigned to another role or much in terms of additional responsibilities (although you would still have emergency duties). If you are Stitch with minimal appearances, you'll either be assigned to another role as well or to other duties.

I think we are saying the same thing from different angles. In short, if they have someone already on board who has the build, training and available hours to do Olaf, you might see Olaf (if he is added to a show this changes). He's been seen enough to know the costume is available.

If no one fits the bill, Olaf will not be appearing at that time as they would not staff someone JUST for him who could not take on other responsibilities.