Viking Grand European cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest

Popi&nana

Lots of stopping and not necessarily resting, but looking at a particular site and hearing info about it. None of the town walks are strenuous. Even the Viking tour listed as the most difficult, Marksburg Castle, most of the elevation was done at the beginning and our PD stopped at every switchback for the slower walkers.

Thanks for the information very helpful

Thanks everyone for all helpful hints I have another question about Sunday at ports is everything opened and available we are in Cologne and Vienna on sundays and also a wine tour is already sold out for optional excursion do they add on if there is more interest and do many excursion even the free ones sell out. Should I wait tell onboard to decide or do it now our cruise is September 8

We've signed up for the evening concert in Vienna. Does that require dressier attire? Should my husband wear a jacket?

Lots of stopping and not necessarily resting, but looking at a particular site and hearing info about it. None of the town walks are strenuous. Even the Viking tour listed as the most difficult, Marksburg Castle, most of the elevation was done at the beginning and our PD stopped at every switchback for the slower walkers.

That's a relief to know. I'm sure I'll be a "slower walker".

We've signed up for the evening concert in Vienna. Does that require dressier attire? Should my husband wear a jacket?

Not necessary but it won't be out of place. I don't remember anyone on our cruise wearing a jacket to the concert.

You are bused to the concert location and the room is filled with other tourists, not just people from the Viking ship. The attire was eclectic.

Personally I think a jacket is a waste of luggage space on river cruise, especially one of this duration. You'll never wear it.

I went to a long sleeve shirt as my up dress, no tie or jacket. To the best of my knowledge one man in our group wore a jacket. He and his DW were celebrating an anniversary and I think they felt the need to dress up.

For touring, we always bring our cane seats or as some call then shooting sticks. When the guide starts to talk, just flip it open and you have a seat. Golf shops have them as do Amazon and Megellan

Dress for the concert. There is not a lot of A/C in Europe so if it is hot outside the concert hall will be hot. Dress comfortably. Pat

Question. On these various city walking tours that last 2-4 hours, are there breaks where you can stop and rest, or is it continuous walking the whole time. Asking for the sake of my stamina.

I happened to be in a AAA store yesterday and noticed they sell fold up, three-legged "seats" -- I did not investigate them for functionality or price, but a few passengers on our cruise used something similar during stops on the walking tours.

Am looking forward to this trip departing from Amsterdam on September 18. Very interested in the discussion, particularly weather, as I understand it has been hot and water levels are low.

Has been an early low water level year but of course that cannot say what will happen over the next couple of months. On our cruise 6/18-7/2 had to do a ship switch from Nuremberg to passau. Things worked pretty well.

Thanks for all the comments regarding men taking a sports coat on this voyage. Since we are traveling in July next year, it wouldn't be necessary from a temperature standpoint, and packing an extra pound or two of weight might make a difference. I guess what I am saying that not taking it would be beneficial from a packing and practical solution. Even if we decided to do a concert in Vienna, I'm sure a nice dress shirt would be OK.

Thanks for all the comments regarding men taking a sports coat on this voyage. Since we are traveling in July next year, it wouldn't be necessary from a temperature standpoint, and packing an extra pound or two of weight might make a difference. I guess what I am saying that not taking it would be beneficial from a packing and practical solution. Even if we decided to do a concert in Vienna, I'm sure a nice dress shirt would be OK.

On our cruise everyone went straight from dinner to the concert. (Highly recommended. A real high point.) No one changed into more "formal" wear. Leave the sport coat at home. You'll never need it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
On our cruise everyone went straight from dinner to the concert. (Highly recommended. A real high point.) No one changed into more "formal" wear. Leave the sport coat at home. You'll never need it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

We went to a concert in Prague and in Budapest and Iin Vienna. Man water sport shirts or nice casual shirts. There was not a sport coat to be seen. Most of these concerts are "tourist concerts"; a little over an hour long, and short, popularly known pieces. A lovely evening!

Has been an early low water level year but of course that cannot say what will happen over the next couple of months. On our cruise 6/18-7/2 had to do a ship switch from Nuremberg to passau. Things worked pretty well.

Our ship also went from Passau to Nürnberg. But without changing ships. We learned the next day, that the water level was very low, and that would have been a possibility, but a few days of rain raised the level of the river to make is passable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums