Seasick patch vs. Bonine

cruisegirl73

Hello all,

I usually use seasick bands around my wrists in the past but this time I don't want to be bothered wearing them the whole time. I was thinking about trying Bonine or maybe the patch that I see everyone always walking around with. What is your experience with these? Thanks!

Both work fine. If you are extremely prone to motion sickness (doesn't seem that way if the wrist bands work) the patch is a better option. It does come with some severe side effects, including dry mouth, blurry vision, and even headaches.

For most people Bonine works just fine. It is non drowsy and does not have adverse interactions with alcohol. I do nto notice any side effects with it, though some people report that it makes them sleepy (I personally think that they are sleepy because the cruise is so relaxing, that your body just wants to take a nap).

Personally I used it when fishing in AK, on a 30 foot boat in 10 foot seas and did not suffer from motion sickness (we won't talk about having to hold on the whole time and getting thrown around the boat, but that is another story).

Meclizine HCL is still an antihistamine and not non-drowsy but less drowsy than Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine). FYI, Benadryl is a close relative to Dramamine - diphenhydramine breaks down closely to dimenhydrinate

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cannot use scopolamine. It makes me hallucinate. When my doctor prescribed it, the pharmacist strongly suggested I try it when safely at home before using it while on vacation. I'm very glad I took that advice!

The sea bands work really well for me, along with a nightly meclazine when the ship is really rocky.