Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well CCI team training starts today. Fingers crossed for my boy Sutter to find his forever home and forever job. Also fingers crossed for a friend who is in team training for her hearing dog in Orlando.

Go, Sutter, Go! My very best wishes to Sutter and to your friend in Team Training. I hope all goes well for both of them. :*

This makes so much sense. I have requested sod (and Celebrity's website states that they provide sod upon request if leaving from a US port) and we have never received it. So simple!

Dianne

Ya why do they even ask? Holland America got us sod, why can't these other ships. The form we get actually has sod filled in on it! Yet 2 cruises they can't seem to get it. After last year's disaster, I'm going to get a piece of sod if I have to dig it up at the terminal!! I'm certainly going to see if we can get the hotel managers email before we go. Last year's he had his lackeys take care of us and they lied to our faces. It was the first year (even with screw ups) that Wex didn't go potty for 3 days. He is getting to old for stress like that. And seeing us stressed out doesn't help either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Edited by rangeley

Ya why do they even ask? Holland America got us sod, why can't these other ships. The form we get actually has sod filled in on it! Yet 2 cruises they can't seem to get it. After last year's disaster, I'm going to get a piece of sod if I have to dig it up at the terminal!! I'm certainly going to see if we can get the hotel managers email before we go. Last year's he had his lackeys take care of us and they lied to our faces. It was the first year (even with screw ups) that Wex didn't go potty for 3 days. He is getting to old for stress like that. And seeing us stressed out doesn't help either.

It certainly would turn some people off of cruising with their Service Dog.

The fact is I don't go anywhere without my SD, he goes where I go. And, him being able to relieve himself is extremely important, wherever I go.

I went through the rigorous process of acquiring a Service Dog because I wanted to enhance my life. My expectation is that I will be treated with respect as will my dog. That means that my dog will be afforded a proper place to toilet, with the right kind of potty box and filler.

As a dog ages the various stresses that he's subjected to make a huge difference on how he performs for his handler, who counts on his dog to make his/her life better, not to mention safer. I totally understand what Cindy is referring to when it comes to undue stress being put on Wex because he couldn't go potty for 3 days. You know how you'd feel if this were you!

I'm still waiting to hear from Matt who's not in today. Hopefully, before the end of the week I'll have an answer as to whether or not he can help with delivery of sod to the ships leaving out of L.A. ports and maybe give me some kind of clue as to how we can get ALL the ships leaving out of any port to be able to attain sod for the Service Dogs who cruise them.

Aww! I love these stories. About people applying for Service Dogs. Certainly not about folks who feed their dogs at the table or allow the dogs to sit on the furniture.

We were at a restaurant that had only "bench" type seating and there was absolutely no where for Horton to lay without being stepped on......I wanted to leave but it was a special party for one of my bosses and I was stuck. So, I asked Horton to get up on the bench closest to the wall and I sat next to him. I must say it worked out well for the entire 3 hours that we were there but I wasn't comfortable about putting him up on the bench.

There are times when you have to use your own good judgment and break a rule or two. I made sure that Horton stayed in a "down/stay" position the entire time! He was so glad when we left and so was I! ;)

I've been meaning to reply, Roz. Yes, there definitely are times you "do what you gotta do!" We were on a tour in Homer, Alaska where there are no tour buses, so they use school buses made for small people. Raylene and I got on, and there was no way she had a space to fit on the floor beneath the little vinyl-covered bench seat. So she jumped up on curled up next to me. Not ideal, but no real alternative that day.

Same thing happened this summer in Glacier National Park when we rode a "jammer" bus built in the 1920s. No floor space to settle, and in fact our back row was over the wheels, so even less leg room for people - forget about 70-lb dogs. It was very tight even boarding via curving small steps. She tried to ride standing squeezed in front of me, but eventually I gave her an "up" command and she curled in the corner of the back seat for the tour.

(That was the tour where the driver looked worried when we were boarding and asked if the dog liked children. On another shuttle van this summer in New Orleans, the driver said the dog could come but first they would have to ask all the other passengers if it was OK with them.)

On Holland America in the Queens lounge, there's a small section for wheelchairs. Behind the wheelchair is a padded bench where I sit. If I sit behind the wc I wouldn't be able to see so I have to move over. So I invite Wex to lay on the bench behind the chair. Worked out perfect! No one could really see him.

Also we have been taking a bus from the airport to the cruise terminal. Luckily there has always been 2 empty seats together, again invite him up. The aisle is too small for him to fit.

I've been meaning to reply, Roz. Yes, there definitely are times you "do what you gotta do!" We were on a tour in Homer, Alaska where there are no tour buses, so they use school buses made for small people. Raylene and I got on, and there was no way she had a space to fit on the floor beneath the little vinyl-covered bench seat. So she jumped up on curled up next to me. Not ideal, but no real alternative that day.

Same thing happened this summer in Glacier National Park when we rode a "jammer" bus built in the 1920s. No floor space to settle, and in fact our back row was over the wheels, so even less leg room for people - forget about 70-lb dogs. It was very tight even boarding via curving small steps. She tried to ride standing squeezed in front of me, but eventually I gave her an "up" command and she curled in the corner of the back seat for the tour.

(That was the tour where the driver looked worried when we were boarding and asked if the dog liked children. On another shuttle van this summer in New Orleans, the driver said the dog could come but first they would have to ask all the other passengers if it was OK with them.)

As you said, "do what we got to do!"

"OK with them"????? Ask me how I feel about sitting with them????? I know we need not be rude.....but, don't you just want to kick somebody!

On Holland America in the Queens lounge, there's a small section for wheelchairs. Behind the wheelchair is a padded bench where I sit. If I sit behind the wc I wouldn't be able to see so I have to move over. So I invite Wex to lay on the bench behind the chair. Worked out perfect! No one could really see him.

Also we have been taking a bus from the airport to the cruise terminal. Luckily there has always been 2 empty seats together, again invite him up. The aisle is too small for him to fit.

I don't use a wheelchair but am remanded to the wheelchair section on many Princess ships because in the Princess Theatre's it's theatre seating and no benches, which makes it very difficult for Horton to lay down without being stepped on. If I get in the middle of an aisle usually we're safe but not always.

It can be very tricky to place Horton. I ALWAYS have to get to the theatre early to guarantee Horton and me a seat.

On our Panama Canal cruise the CD reserved seats for us in a really good spot and I didn't have to worry about getting there early.

People can be so weird about getting a seat and they don't give a guinea pigs butt about you and your dog!!!!!!

I don't use a wheelchair but am remanded to the wheelchair section on many

People can be so weird about getting a seat and they don't give a guinea pigs butt about you and your dog!!!!!!

LOL - that was a different visual you just gave me...

Mentioning the HAL Queens Lounge reminded me of the Zuiderdam last year. We often skip the shows, but discovered great "dog seats" on that ship. Not good for a wheelchair and a long walk, unfortunately. They were in a section of the upper level where the balcony curved all the way around at the end to partly overlook the stage below. There were a couple of short rows with a few seats and a dead end half-wall on one side, so I could settle Raylene there tucked into her own little corner on my left without worrying about people trying to step over us or on her tail in the dark. You couldn't see the entire stage due to the angle, so other people chose better rows, which left them open for us.

Mentioning the HAL Queens Lounge reminded me of the Zuiderdam last year. We often skip the shows, but discovered great "dog seats" on that ship. Not good for a wheelchair and a long walk, unfortunately. They were in a section of the upper level where the balcony curved all the way around at the end to partly overlook the stage below. There were a couple of short rows with a few seats and a dead end half-wall on one side, so I could settle Raylene there tucked into her own little corner on my left without worrying about people trying to step over us or on her tail in the dark. You couldn't see the entire stage due to the angle, so other people chose better rows, which left them open for us.

Very interesting.....On Princess ships, on the second level of the theatre is a set-up for the sound and lighting people and if you walk towards them there is a wall that separates them from the audience and is a safe place for Horton to lay down [against the wall] and not be stepped on, he will lay in front of the seat so folks will think the seat is empty and ask to sit there, where I have to tell them that there is a dog laying on the floor. I can get the most disgusted looks. Where do they think I keep Horton when I go to the theatre, in my purse? :confused:

Does anyone know if airbnb rentals are required to allow service dogs?

Linda and Halo.

Airbnb's are privately owned, they do invite the public to rent from them, within the USA, it does seem they would fall under the ADA guidelines and should rent to folks who have Service Dogs. They've only been around since 2008 and I have not read or heard any negative experiences from folks who have SD's and have used an airbnb. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been turned away who has an SD.

Houses of worship, although they do invite the public, are privately owned and can ask you to leave. It would be bad form on their part and they'd get some bad press if they refused us in. My SD's and I have been in many churches, temples and synagogues and have NEVER been asked to leave. Of course, their behavior is ALWAYS exemplary.

Airbnb's are privately owned, they do invite the public to rent from them, within the USA, it does seem they would fall under the ADA guidelines and should rent to folks who have Service Dogs. They've only been around since 2008 and I have not read or heard any negative experiences from folks who have SD's and have used an airbnb. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been turned away who has an SD.

Houses of worship, although they do invite the public, are privately owned and can ask you to leave. It would be bad form on their part and they'd get some bad press if they refused us in. My SD's and I have been in many churches, temples and synagogues and have NEVER been asked to leave. Of course, their behavior is ALWAYS exemplary.

I found out airbnb has to apply to ADA in that they cannot refuse or charge more for a service dog. They do not have to be ADA equipped but cannot refuse service dogs or any equipment required for the disability.

Linda and Halo

I found out airbnb has to apply to ADA in that they cannot refuse or charge more for a service dog. They do not have to be ADA equipped but cannot refuse service dogs or any equipment required for the disability.

Linda and Halo

Linda, thanks for the information. Who is your source?

Sutter was pre-matched as a skilled companion today!!!!

Congratulations! Good job Sutter! So happy for him and for you - he is going to change someone's life. What a fabulous gift! When I was at team training, I will never forget seeing the tears in the parents' eyes when their child was matched with their dog.

Dianne

Congratulations to Sutter and the whole DFD family!

P.S. How is Miss Gretel doing these days? We want photos!

Gretel is fitting in very well. It took her a while to find her footing on our family but she is really starting to bond with my daughter. She is actually starting to enjoy working and listening when my daughter gives commands. We haven't been taking many photos lately. It's been kind of busy. As far as posting photos here, that may pose a problem shortly. Photobucket sent me an e-mail a while ago stating that in the near future if you want to post any photo from their site to a third party site, like here, you have to pay for a subscription. That's not gonna happen. So we may have to find a workaround.

Gretel is fitting in very well. It took her a while to find her footing on our family but she is really starting to bond with my daughter. She is actually starting to enjoy working and listening when my daughter gives commands. We haven't been taking many photos lately. It's been kind of busy. As far as posting photos here, that may pose a problem shortly. Photobucket sent me an e-mail a while ago stating that in the near future if you want to post any photo from their site to a third party site, like here, you have to pay for a subscription. That's not gonna happen. So we may have to find a workaround.

I used Tiny Pic...

Congratulations and way to go Sutter! You must be very proud...heck I'm proud!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect.

It is information from an ADA advocate that my trainer knows.

Linda and Halo

Thanks for the info. Linda. They even include "Emotional Support" animals be allowed in their establishments. They may have to reign in some of their rules or they will be inundated with lots of people claiming that FiFi is for emotional support!