Glacier Wind Charters icy strait point

JP-Cruise

Ok here is my latest dilemma if anyone can help with. To sum it all up...

So I will be in icy strait point on July 12 from 9am - 5pm

I booked the ziprider at 1:15, hoping to do the whale watching with FISHES at 9:30am. But waiting for others to book on FISHES since they won't take a single person (I am going solo on my trip)

But the I was told about glacier wind charters and they are also a good vendor. And they seem awesome like FISHES. I went on the glacier wind website and there are only 2 more spots available for 12 pm. No morning times available. But that means I'll have to cancel my 1:15 ziprider which will be a pain and specifically chose the afternoon for the ziprider cuz I was thinking the morning would be too cold for it.

I was looking at the pros and cons between glacier wind and FISHES. Glacier wind is 3 and a half tour. FISHES is a half hour shorter.. buttt FISHES goes by chigacof island, so you have a chance of also seeing bears. I dunno what to do guys

There is also Misty Bay Lodge. See what they may have available.

I think you may be making some wrong assumptions with the "cold" mention? 9a is hardly "morning', dawn was about 5 hours prior. I don't find the temps significant and it's darn easy to dress for it anyway The negative with this tour is rain- which they WILL run in. Paying the tax which is a few added dollars is a benefit here with walk up- which I did for my nephew last year. He's looking to go again this year, after out trip with FISHES. I went when this first opened years ago. It isn't mine kind of preferred zip, so not repeating.

There is also Misty Bay Lodge. See what they may have available.

I think you may be making some wrong assumptions with the "cold" mention? 9a is hardly "morning', dawn was about 5 hours prior. I don't find the temps significant and it's darn easy to dress for it anyway The negative with this tour is rain- which they WILL run in. Paying the tax which is a few added dollars is a benefit here with walk up- which I did for my nephew last year. He's looking to go again this year, after out trip with FISHES. I went when this first opened years ago. It isn't mine kind of preferred zip, so not repeating.

Oh, hahhaha omg I totally forgot about that! How sunrise in Alaska is 5am and sunset is around 11:30pm lol. Ok I made my decision, looks like I'll have to go with FISHES next time. I saw that there was a 9am time, and guess what?! Only one spot left!! What luck!... I had to take it

Oh, hahhaha omg I totally forgot about that! How sunrise in Alaska is 5am and sunset is around 11:30pm lol. Ok I made my decision, looks like I'll have to go with FISHES next time. I saw that there was a 9am time, and guess what?! Only one spot left!! What luck!... I had to take it

I'm confused....so who did you decide to go with for your excursion?

I'm confused....so who did you decide to go with for your excursion?

Oh, sorry about the confusion. I decided to book with glacier wind. I actually spoke with one of the owners yesterday, she was super nice and re assured me that the 9am start was perfect. I couldn't believe I got the last spot, I almost didnt get to sleep lastnight thinking about this lol. And that works perfect for me because it's 3 and a half hours, so I'll be able to make the 1:15pm ziprider. So super excited!!!

So this just leaves one more excursion left for me to book. Southeast sea kayaks in Ketchikan, but I am waiting for others to book for that since they as well do no take single bookings

You will enjoy Glacier wind charters, Teresa & Captain Shawn were wonderful with us when we booked and toured with them in 2015. It was so nice meeting Teresa after communicating with her via phone & Captain Shawn was very informative in our search for whales. They added a very personal touch that two years later seeing their name brought a smile and wonderful memories flooding back! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, sorry about the confusion. I decided to book with glacier wind. I actually spoke with one of the owners yesterday, she was super nice and re assured me that the 9am start was perfect. I couldn't believe I got the last spot, I almost didnt get to sleep lastnight thinking about this lol. And that works perfect for me because it's 3 and a half hours, so I'll be able to make the 1:15pm ziprider. So super excited!!!

So this just leaves one more excursion left for me to book. Southeast sea kayaks in Ketchikan, but I am waiting for others to book for that since they as well do no take single bookings

Glad everything worked out for you. You spoke with Teresa, Shawn's wife. As I said previously, we have gone with both F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind and both companies offer a great excursion. Enjoy your cruise and excursions!

Glad everything worked out for you. You spoke with Teresa, Shawn's wife. As I said previously, we have gone with both F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind and both companies offer a great excursion. Enjoy your cruise and excursions!

Thanks very much! Ya Teresa was super nice on the phone :)

You will definitely have a great time with Shawn and Teresa really is so lovely - they both are. I have already booked with them for next year!

When I went with them last, we did spend some time near the shore looking for bears, as well as watching many whales and the sea lions.

Have a great trip!

You will definitely have a great time with Shawn and Teresa really is so lovely - they both are. I have already booked with them for next year!

When I went with them last, we did spend some time near the shore looking for bears, as well as watching many whales and the sea lions.

Have a great trip!

That is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for your input :). Do they have a hydrophone on their boat so they can listen to the whales?

That is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for your input :). Do they have a hydrophone on their boat so they can listen to the whales?

I don't remember them having a hydrophone unfortunately. Although I recall Teresa saying they have just got a new boat, so you never know!

What was good was that Shawn stays in communication with other boats and he was told of a sighting and we were able to go over to where there were a few whales playing around. Shawn has such knowledge and experience and Teresa's salmon dip is not to be missed!

I don't remember them having a hydrophone unfortunately. Although I recall Teresa saying they have just got a new boat, so you never know!

What was good was that Shawn stays in communication with other boats and he was told of a sighting and we were able to go over to where there were a few whales playing around. Shawn has such knowledge and experience and Teresa's salmon dip is not to be missed!

That's awesome! Will remember that :)

• 2 months later...

Italy52, if you had to choose between F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind, which would you choose? I confirmed with Teresa that Glacier Wind does have a hydrophone so the two seem the same in that regard. They also both have up to 6 passengers. Are they practically the same or do you have a preference? Thanks!

Italy52, if you had to choose between F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind, which would you choose? I confirmed with Teresa that Glacier Wind does have a hydrophone so the two seem the same in that regard. They also both have up to 6 passengers. Are they practically the same or do you have a preference? Thanks!

Floyd has always been my preference, over almost 20 years. :) I have gone with 3 other companies in Hoonah when Floyd was full. I went out twice, already, this year and depending on my return trip, I'll try and hit Floyd again if possible.

I'm assuming you are going this season? This will be the end of FISHES.

Budgetqueen, thank you so much for the quick response! I just found out Floyd is booked for my dates (yeah, this season). Who would be your second choice?

I just stumbled across this forum when trying to decide between whale watching operators. Since you seem to have a lot of Alaska experience, we're also stopping in Juneau and Ketchikan. Any must-dos there or top picks? It'll be me, my husband, sister, and her boyfriend, all mid to late 20s/early 30. Any advice is appreciated! :)

You might also want to consider Ketchikan Kayaks for a tour. They do a full 2.5 hours on the water plus only take 8 people at a time. Not sure how they handle singles. We used them in May and had a great time. If you are interested, you can read about our day and see my photos: Our tour with Ketchikan Kayaks

One suggestion that Devon (the owner) made to us that was good advice...book your tour during low tide. We originally wanted to do a morning kayak tour, but switched to the afternoon during low tide. It was amazing to see the starfish, sea cucumbers, etc. that were exposed when the tide was low.

8Wpn2rnK9os-aYo34dfDCP2OLXcMO1BJ7pMIH6uBpAtXdb63SvcvsVuNGxWQc9W5HgHk4V7EC3bBKhRANtMHeujeYHamUZSPe2dZ-Pn6epiuSi8REdQD2d2I9tEoCa1MbdRrAg9BHpnul26zw6z5mmvPRSRXy0OMbYxIizA_RruCbN12R59Nuxy7a8HZ-pqF8d2y7nTTbND187GNdGzlYwHzYsbXR4T4W9mfxcKQasfwUzSMqb_uloF8ZuqjLAstpuWcf6Z7o5nwmpw_WGrWrTS12bFT2w6RSasfiwv-A4cn2TbBeiK7s3ChdrPNBgQGaIxT3cl7O3NaJiCMuBLW0wOnL5ottTc2bTRqV51IUh54Ws77z8r7KZEZS-5H0MpMDHXn8QFXRoCt5Ip_pqD46U6CX_qmIlAxWZ8mCjZ-Ez6DaZA7ppSSOH75UQ4W_btfX6SJdKQGAgWH8KCG5oUnK_9Jv06wNr1wq7ZWwDTWvSCH_uZj0RKeNYzDe5zmAkdOEJy9_VK1mpx2dbbymyhzzvn1d6bcvaqRixPmU7sjQ1jo5egE543cImEZZyTZpBxrF6UfRq63DgupGwjx8CMSRnG0_v12dsYa7hGzbQbRqCVuKJIH52EqTJ0_3ZJ1xNyoJRkTfg7fGA8kcIbUcy1QFjEIy7sPYXq2Si9Q-2bLbAXvvjg=w1267-h951-no

RUzQC-oSyiRyLrFY17iEIgOhYt7SP-x9DI8TCFH24pRf6nq96zlUqwUOhGUVpUheLOq2_GJDdqDrKBXUS48I5e7RxWMCc6Bzlw5B86zKcR1qFHEZ2fxWAoMUj_Khadkfv7MABCZQ1qf2ftNCCJPUk89ZXNmMsJNqO_M6WhsEgDd5ugUy00e5ifoJMPa_G2ePhqWW1x7VuZT1UJbcPwlKsOJ-MCuw6JNwkZeorxsjaJ9Di2NnpuAdQpByBvRLCX04v-1nYJ2GsryUJQ90mj6_OkEwfWGPU79rwbFLbrm9NtI8l4pCIbv7gdxAaDSJRamt-3p_AbaSDUVyAXtOj2hbj7S10-C9g8E0vMd1v3Xe2tL8TVl2jGB5ldejDwDj9h1ykkm7Cv5cql0hqfTGn_mKZlEXu48wFITqysOijK-dL8mY8jFAplfw-hvRPq21-KZhcvOv8yoz7JThcnxw0naj02nUy97orZhoxwiXWDyguGgEGRqqwyLRZLsVojCMqebEpuwYFZU38K-EyEdMECOzVxg8BkcxzfiMeoTYQz_Q3_eiheHuxLC8YAE8P9nTEpem3ULMuDJ3bvcq5GDg1v_lM6ND6VwTv4TV73MkN6CJIi5tr6TlmfFZbaeRgPHHJ6QHgDagUnVSmQVuw0yUzIJGc-rz-XE20pM89lQpt-ZJ8BaOaMg=w1267-h951-no

Thanks for sharing these awesome pictures! I did a kayaking trip in Mexico and got really cold and wet so was concerned about that because it's Alaska. Do they give you water gear to wear at all?

Yes...they provide waterproof jacket & pants. (I wore my own, but my husband wore their stuff.) We lucked out and had a sunny day, but they will go out rain or shine.

we were in Hoonah last year and did the same thing you are doing....morning with Glacier Wind charters and the zip line in the afternoon. This was our 4th trip to Alaska and we just loved this port. So much that we have booked our 5th Alaska cruise for next July on a ship that goes back to Hoonah. Plan to go out with Glacier Wind Charters again. And like everyone said....Shawn and Teresa are wonderful people. She even sent me a Christmas card and enclosed a recipe that we talked about.

By the way the community of Hoonah has done a wonderful job with the cruise dock, welcoming center, historical buildings and even the food areas. Plan to spend some time there also!

ALSO...the zip line is fantastic!!! I have also done the zip lines in Ketchikan and Juneau, which are great, but this is just exhilaration at its best

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I have been in Alaska for the past 3 weeks. We have taken multiple excursions with both F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind; both have provided excellent experiences. We were sad that we didn't go to Hoonah this season especially since this will be F.I.S.H.E.S. last season. We have already made reservations with Glacier Wind for May 2018 to ensure we get the vendor we want. My recommendation to you is to research whale watching vendors in Hoonah (TripAdvisor & Cruise Critic are good places to check) and then make your OWN decision on who best to choose.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I have been in Alaska for the past 3 weeks. We have taken multiple excursions with both F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind; both have provided excellent experiences. We were sad that we didn't go to Hoonah this season especially since this will be F.I.S.H.E.S. last season. We have already made reservations with Glacier Wind for May 2018 to ensure we get the vendor we want. My recommendation to you is to research whale watching vendors in Hoonah (TripAdvisor & Cruise Critic are good places to check) and then make your OWN decision on who best to choose.

I just came back from my Alaska cruise 2 weeks ago. When I was in hoonah I went with glacier Wind. I didn't see many whales, most from far away, one or two came close to the boat. I did sea a bunch of harbour seals, one jumped twice and got that on film. That was awesome! Theresa and Shawn are super super nice people. I really enjoyed glacier Wind. But when I got home I went on trip advisor and read a review someone posted who went with FISHES the same day I was in port, and they witnessed 10 humpbacks bubblenet feeding. Do you know how sad that made me??? lol. Oh well, this is an excuse to go back to icy strait point and go with FISHES

I just came back from my Alaska cruise 2 weeks ago. When I was in hoonah I went with glacier Wind. I didn't see many whales, most from far away, one or two came close to the boat. I did sea a bunch of harbour seals, one jumped twice and got that on film. That was awesome! Theresa and Shawn are super super nice people. I really enjoyed glacier Wind. But when I got home I went on trip advisor and read a review someone posted who went with FISHES the same day I was in port, and they witnessed 10 humpbacks bubblenet feeding. Do you know how sad that made me??? lol. Oh well, this is an excuse to go back to icy strait point and go with FISHES

I wouldn't second guess yourself based on one anecdote on TripAdvisor.

I wouldn't second guess yourself based on one anecdote on TripAdvisor.

Thanks, I know. You know it's just that first initial thought that crosses your mind. The "uhhhh, I could have been on that boat" thought. But I'll always understand that viewing wildlife is like going to the cosino, you never know what will happen

Thanks, I know. You know it's just that first initial thought that crosses your mind. The "uhhhh, I could have been on that boat" thought. But I'll always understand that viewing wildlife is like going to the cosino, you never know what will happen

I just keep telling myself this to make me feel better lol. And like I said, I can always go back. Now I understand why people keep going back to Alaska. The beauty and the amount to see is just unreal. Definitely one of my top favourite places on earth :)

Definitely a crap shoot and things could change every half hour. I think you need to take a good share of the comments on Trip Advisor to get a really good feel. We're booking with Glacier Wind for next June and I'll never look back. We know there are no guarantees though on what we'll see.