Alaska Souvenirs

tracid

Hi guys. Getting ready for first Alaska trip in August. Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan ports.

Need to pick up few souvenirs, trinkets, tees, etc. for few friends and family. Any suggestions on items native to Alaska that you would suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife got an Ulu in Juneau and loves it. It's a curved knife. She got one in a kit that included a wooden "cutting bowl" with a handy cutout and magnets in the back to hold the Ulu for storage. It's apparently fantastic for chopping vegetables and such, as they don't roll away in the bowl and the blade works with the curved bowl just right.

Can you take the Ulu knife on the ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone else said, they'll take it when you get back to the ship and return it the last night. Just remember you can't put it into carry on. When we bought some a few years ago, the shop shipped them directly home. I still use my almost every day.

My favorite store for souvenirs is in Skagway and Juneau. Alaska t-shirt company. I tend to prefer the one in Skagway...seems more open. It is at the end of the main street closest to the harbour, right across the street from the train engine. Ulus are fun, but I have not used mine since I got home. Have used the dish towels, oven mitts, socks and salad claws so much more!

We had no trouble bringing the knife on the ship.
You were lucky.... on my trips.... metal detectors are waiting when you reboard the ship. They will hold your Ulu's until the end of the cruise.

You were lucky.... on my trips.... metal detectors are waiting when you reboard the ship. They will hold your Ulu's until the end of the cruise.

There have been metal detectors on every ship I've been on too, but we have been allowed to take on ulus. It depends on the cruise line's policy about them. I've also taken aboard pocket knives, bought for my sons. However, when my son's friend bought a bigger knife in one port, it was confiscated when he entered the ship and handed back to him as we disembarked at the end of the cruise. Each line has their own policies about what you can and cannot bring aboard. Princess seems to have no problem with ulus.

Bought a 6 inch ulu with bowl set made at the ulu factory in Anchorage at the Tongass Trading company in Ketchikan last week. It was labeled $29.99 but they had a $5 coupon in their tourist book picked up in Juneau. On the Ulu website this lists for $41.95.

Our HAL ship put it through the scanner, but did not confiscate it. Ymmv.

Also, if buying trinkets at Tongass, take the coupon booklet, they will stamp all the ones you use.

At the end of the Creek Street Boardwalk in Ketchikan is a terrific artist who has wonderful magnets of his artwork...i bought almost a dozen to bring back for friends...unique AK art (can't possibly afford his real pictures though!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The store/gallery is SOHO COHO and the artist is Ray Troll. The store carries a large assortment of different items featuring his original art.

Another good gift item is Glacier Smoothie soap that can be found in Juneau. The small shop is located on Franklin St. near the ships. They will ship your items for a fee. They carry soaps and creams and other items made with glacier silt. My uncle loves the shaving soap.

We found Ketchikan had the best prices. Creek Street had lots of stores with original (i.e. made in Alaska) items including knives, jewellery, Christmas ornaments, food items, carvings and art work.

We love the Glacier Smoothie store in Juneau as well. We brought back lots of silt soap as gifts and everyone loved it.