Looks like misbehaving kids aren't only on Carnival

Yeah that was like 3 years ago. I remember seeing it. He's a grown man, not a child. A stupid one at that. Hope he's banned for life.

You understood my point rather quickly ,it's not just kids doing the fruit loop stuff.

You understood my point rather quickly ,it's not just kids doing the fruit loop stuff.

Oh I get it. But the video I posted was of a child behaving dangerously on a non Carnival ship. It just goes to show that idiots come in all ages and aren't exclusive to Carnival.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for

authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place

of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their

households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They

contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties

at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

this quote is sometimes attributed to Socrates and/or Plato almost 2000 years ago. In any case, it's as old as the hills and shows the normal generational attitudes that spring up in every age.

Showing off their GoPro and everything. And yeah, for anything going up on Youtube, gotta have the music.

It would be interesting to see how the parents reacted.

Sad to say, far too many "parents" out there don't pay all that any attention at all to what their kids are up to. But I'd be interested to know too.

... I don't mean as stupid as this but I do believe that we ALL did something stupid at one time.

Emphasizing "as stupid as this". Yeah I did some crazy stuff back when I was young and stupid, but... Jeez luweeze... most of us knew to stay away from the guys who were into suicide/arrest/eviction-grade crazy stuff. As I'm sure you did too.

Reminds me of the TV show that Todd Bridges (Different Strokes) commentated on for a while, maybe still does: TruTV Presents: World's Dumbest... But this at least this idiot went feet first instead of head first. (And I use the term "head" in the physical sense only. Obviously there's not a whole lot else there, i.e., no working parts.)

"... Witnesses reported him to local police, leading him to be detained, then booted off the vessel, then promptly flown home..."

I sincerely hope they made him pay his own way home or sent him the bill afterwards.

... It's also not all about unsupervised kids. They were old enough to not need 24/7 supervision. They zoomed in on the rules explicity saying not to do it. These kids, and I blame them both equally, knew what they were doing. And who knows what the parents reactions will be. If I had to guess, maybe jr. will lose access to some of his expensive toys such as that go pro...

Amen to that. And they can obviously read, since they focused on the sign.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for

authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place

of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their

households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They

contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties

at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

this quote is sometimes attributed to Socrates and/or Plato almost 2000 years ago. In any case, it's as old as the hills and shows the normal generational attitudes that spring up in every age.

As a historian I appreciate the reference, truly. But I hope you'll also agree: I'm senior-citizen status now and I remember what childhood/adolescence was generally like way back when. School buses and everything; college campuses; even behind closed doors (closed but never locked) in our homes. Kids at large back then were models of composure compared to how the 21st century has been shaping up. And classical Greece fell, and the Roman Empire fell, and... next?

THIS, lol. That video was anti-climactic. Oh no, a teenager jumped off the railing into the pool not far below! BAN HIM FOR LIFE!!!!

Luckily it was anti climactic. What would have happened if he got paralyzed? What if someone swimming below would have gone towards him and he landed on top of them? Anything less then a climactic ending is good. It shouldn't take something bad to happen for action to be taken. All I can say is thank God no one was hurt. If this kid and his cohort think this is OK and nothing becomes of it, what next? Jump off the ship? Sorry, but I can't agree with you on this one.

Luckily it was anti climactic. What would have happened if he got paralyzed? What if someone swimming below would have gone towards him and he landed on top of them? Anything less then a climactic ending is good. It shouldn't take something bad to happen for action to be taken. All I can say is thank God no one was hurt. If this kid and his cohort think this is OK and nothing becomes of it, what next? Jump off the ship? Sorry, but I can't agree with you on this one.

I'm not saying it was ok. But this was a whole lot of nothing. The people in the pool seemed to be in on it and purposely staying out of the way in the video. It wasn't even a very high jump. Kids have been jumping off things into pools for ages... we used to jump off the house. This is a kid breaking a rule and jumping a few feet into the water. Come on!!! Of course the behavior isn't ok, but this is pretty darn benign. I think some teenager will do far worse on just about every sailing, ever.

Luckily it was anti climactic. What would have happened if he got paralyzed? What if someone swimming below would have gone towards him and he landed on top of them? ...

Or slipped on the railing and fell? That TV show I mentioned ("World's Dumbest...") among others; it's painfully easy to see that sometimes people die from their foolishness. Even worse when they take others with them.

I agree. Plus, what about all of the kids who see this video and decide they have to try the same thing? Think that won't happen? Just google "kid dies imitating jacka__" (fill in the blank with ss) and see how many stories you find.

This is the kind of stuff that goes on when urchins get their own room across the hallway so the parents can have their privacy...everyone else has to deal with them. I think parents would be surprised how many them are out and about after midnight. I'm for a curfew.

This is the kind of stuff that goes on when urchins get their own room across the hallway so the parents can have their privacy...everyone else has to deal with them. I think parents would be surprised how many them are out and about after midnight. I'm for a curfew.

Totally agree Greg....If you are under 18 and not with your parents and not being babysat in a Carnival Club, you need to be in your room after 10 pm

I'm not saying it was ok. But this was a whole lot of nothing. The people in the pool seemed to be in on it and purposely staying out of the way in the video. It wasn't even a very high jump. Kids have been jumping off things into pools for ages... we used to jump off the house. This is a kid breaking a rule and jumping a few feet into the water. Come on!!! Of course the behavior isn't ok, but this is pretty darn benign. I think some teenager will do far worse on just about every sailing, ever.

Highly doubt they were in on it, probably more like trying not to get hurt. Luckily they saw him. Looked pretty far up to me but I've ever been on Princess, so I don't know how high it is, but those pools are shallow and aren't made for that.

If you want to be a dumb butt and do stupid stuff at home, then so be it. Not on a ship where there are other people and the parents would be the first to blame the cruise line and sue.

If other kids do dumber things then that then they should get the boot too. It's kids like this that blatantly disregard the rules putting themselves and others' safety at risk with zero consequences that grow up to be like the other knucklehead jumping off the ship. They obviously have no common sense and the cruise line can't let people like that on ships. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. A message needs to be sent loud and clear before something bad happens.

On Miracle last week, Serenity was closed for cleaning at night so we went to the hot tub on Lido. There was a kid there, about 12 or 13 years old, doing backflips off the top outer edge of the hot tub into the pool. Where were his parents? In the hot tub.

On Miracle last week, Serenity was closed for cleaning at night so we went to the hot tub on Lido. There was a kid there, about 12 or 13 years old, doing backflips off the top outer edge of the hot tub into the pool. Where were his parents? In the hot tub.

:eek::eek: :eek:

Having clueless parents is a tough way to start out in life.

Griff and OC I agree with you to a point but I believe that learning social responsibility and thinking about consequences needs to start being taught at a very young age. No one is perfect but when thoughfulness and self discipline are not strongly encouraged to begin with in very young minds then it can certainly carry through into the future in more thoughtless, radical and dangerous behavior.

Sorry for the long rant clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

I agree. I was just pointing out to the person I replied to that this kid's parents don't deserve "full blame" for what he did. I was raised right, was a good kid, a straight A student, and hated getting into trouble, so that kept me on the straight & narrow, usually. But I still did stupid, dangerous crap sometimes. I'm not defending this kid, not in the least. I'm just trying to point out that if I had ever hurt myself doing those stupid, dangerous things, my parents wouldn't deserve the blame. I did those things despite the fact that they raised me right. At some point people have to be held accountable for their own actions. I also don't think the parents should get off free & clear, either, because they're responsible for their children.

As a historian I appreciate the reference, truly. But I hope you'll also agree: I'm senior-citizen status now and I remember what childhood/adolescence was generally like way back when. School buses and everything; college campuses; even behind closed doors (closed but never locked) in our homes. Kids at large back then were models of composure compared to how the 21st century has been shaping up. And classical Greece fell, and the Roman Empire fell, and... next?
First, I just wanted to point out that the source of the quote evanbob posted is disputed. It may not actually go back to ancient times. Once site I found sources it to a college student in 1907 as part of his thesis. With that said, I agree with you. I do not believe what we see today is just your average generation gap. I see the attitudes and behaviors of my generation compared to my parents, their generation compared to their parents, and so on. Those are typical generation gaps. What we see today is not a gap, but a canyon.

What do you expect when you have a generation of kids who watched people like the "Jack.ass" crew become rich & famous for making fools of themselves and doing ridiculously stupid "stunts." Then comes countless YouTubers who do stupid crap and, in the eyes of today's youth, are just as famous as a typical celebrity in Hollywood. The first thing I thought of when I saw this video was that it looks very similar to the guy who goes around jumping off of rooftops into hotel pools. Who knows, maybe that's where this kid got the idea. Social media has rewired the human brain to make everyone feel like everything they do & say is important and has caused people to crave views, "likes," and comments like they're hooked on crack. They put way too much value in virtual recognition & praise from usernames on a screen.

No, the full blame does not go to the parents. While I do often tell people, "It always starts at home," I also recognize when people are capable of taking responsibility for their own actions. This kid is old enough to understand what he's doing is wrong, against the rules, and dangerous. Both he and his parents need to be held accountable.

Rewired? Well...

Not everyone, thankfully...

It does start at home.

Should kids even be watching the "Jack Ass" crew?

What we see today is not a gap, but a canyon.[/b]

Nicely put.

I need to correct myself. I'm not a "historian" per se, just an OCD history buff. Don't wanna misrepresent.

And to correct the site: I tried three times to bold your last sentence, but it refuses to show correctly. At least for me.

Totally agree Greg....If you are under 18 and not with your parents and not being babysat in a Carnival Club, you need to be in your room after 10 pm

What if you are a 17 year old college student? You do realize that many of the Club O2 actives send the kids out and about for things - or they meet for a late show or movie? And do we even know that this stupid stunt from these kids happened after 10 pm?

Are you actually in favor of making a rule that anyone under 18 must be in camp or with their parents at all times? Good grief - we don't even have rules that strict on land for kids that are driving cars! And just look at the classic "preacher's daugther" when she is kept under lock and key and then sent to college....hold on to your hat! That is NOT a great way to parent. Kids do need to be given small doses of independence so that when they turn 18 and are "on their own" - which by the way my 19 year old is far from that as he is in college full time - they have matured into such independence and responsibility.

I am 100% in agreement that these kids - THESE KIDS - need to be banned from the ship. Without knowing more about the parents and what their knowledge and parenting was, I am not willing to impose a 100% ban based upon pure speculation.

But I also wish people would stop throwing all kids into such a category. Mine are now 19 and 13 and have the run of the ship. They are very well mannered (as I see them from a distance) and I would lock them in their room for pushing elevator buttons or some other irresponsible prank. Yes - they have a room across the hall. Probably 50% of the time my 13 year old has already put himself to be and is watching TV by 10 pm when we turn in; he is tired and ready for bed.

What if you are a 17 year old college student? You do realize that many of the Club O2 actives send the kids out and about for things - or they meet for a late show or movie? And do we even know that this stupid stunt from these kids happened after 10 pm?

Are you actually in favor of making a rule that anyone under 18 must be in camp or with their parents at all times? Good grief - we don't even have rules that strict on land for kids that are driving cars! And just look at the classic "preacher's daugther" when she is kept under lock and key and then sent to college....hold on to your hat! That is NOT a great way to parent. Kids do need to be given small doses of independence so that when they turn 18 and are "on their own" - which by the way my 19 year old is far from that as he is in college full time - they have matured into such independence and responsibility.

I am 100% in agreement that these kids - THESE KIDS - need to be banned from the ship. Without knowing more about the parents and what their knowledge and parenting was, I am not willing to impose a 100% ban based upon pure speculation.

But I also wish people would stop throwing all kids into such a category. Mine are now 19 and 13 and have the run of the ship. They are very well mannered (as I see them from a distance) and I would lock them in their room for pushing elevator buttons or some other irresponsible prank. Yes - they have a room across the hall. Probably 50% of the time my 13 year old has already put himself to be and is watching TV by 10 pm when we turn in; he is tired and ready for bed.

Why exaggerate? where did i post that ALL kids are like these 2 chuckleheads....i didnt. I agreed with Greg that there should be some type of age limit curfew and used 18 as the general rule for adulthood. I used 18 as an example and you used the outlier of the 17 yr old college student. So if i said 16, would you give me the answer of "well some 15 yr olds are more mature than a 16 yr old, why arent you allowing them"? We could spin in circles. I never said ALL kids are like these 2, so dont assume i said that. I am in favor of some sort of curfew that after a certain time, if they are not with their parents/guardians and not in some sort of supervised Carnival Camp, they need to be in their room, not roaming the ship unsupervised

Why exaggerate? where did i post that ALL kids are like these 2 chuckleheads....i didnt. I agreed with Greg that there should be some type of age limit curfew and used 18 as the general rule for adulthood. I used 18 as an example and you used the outlier of the 17 yr old college student. So if i said 16, would you give me the answer of "well some 15 yr olds are more mature than a 16 yr old, why arent you allowing them"? We could spin in circles. I never said ALL kids are like these 2, so dont assume i said that. I am in favor of some sort of curfew that after a certain time, if they are not with their parents/guardians and not in some sort of supervised Carnival Camp, they need to be in their room, not roaming the ship unsupervised

I don't believe that it is fair to limit the activities of ALL the 12+ kids simply on the misbehavior of a small percentage. Some of the Club O2 events and Circle C events are late night - well past 10. Your rule would make me stay up until 1 am just so my 13 year old son could be walked back to his room by me or else deny an otherwise well behaved kid the opportunity to do the late night activity. That's unreasonable.

Your curfew also assumes that all problems are from kids - which we all know isn't true. There are plenty of 18+ and ups that do highly risky and dangerous things.

And lastly, the logic of the curfew is flawed. This event could have easily taken place at 7 am or at 8 pm at night. A curfew wouldn't help those acts and is simply a random, illogical, knee-jerk section.

As I said before, these kids need to be banned. The fair and just remedy is punishing those that misbehave, not in curtailing all kids. Adults should have zero hesitation in reporting ANY wrong behavior - whether from kids or adults. Ultimately the issue is with the cruise line to provide appropriate security and punish those who misbehave.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't believe that it is fair to limit the activities of ALL the 12+ kids simply on the misbehavior of a small percentage. Some of the Club O2 events and Circle C events are late night - well past 10. Your rule would make me stay up until 1 am just so my 13 year old son could be walked back to his room by me or else deny an otherwise well behaved kid the opportunity to do the late night activity. That's unreasonable.

Your curfew also assumes that all problems are from kids - which we all know isn't true. There are plenty of 18+ and ups that do highly risky and dangerous things.

And lastly, the logic of the curfew is flawed. This event could have easily taken place at 7 am or at 8 pm at night. A curfew wouldn't help those acts and is simply a random, illogical, knee-jerk section.

As I said before, these kids need to be banned. The fair and just remedy is punishing those that misbehave, not in curtailing all kids. Adults should have zero hesitation in reporting ANY wrong behavior - whether from kids or adults. Ultimately the issue is with the cruise line to provide appropriate security and punish those who misbehave.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

- No, i am not denying them anything. They can attend and you as the parent would be inconvenienced....Yes, thats right, your child, your responsibility to get them....Stay up to 1 am if you want them there. Not my issue you want to go to sleep, that would be a you problem....suck it up or keep them in the room with you to go nighty-night

- Absolutely Not....i never assumed ALL problems are from kids (there you go exaggerating again, i never said that)....Some problems are from SOME kids and they get into trouble due to lack of supervision. A curfew helps, i never said it would eliminate

...I am in favor of some sort of curfew that after a certain time, if they are not with their parents/guardians and not in some sort of supervised Carnival Camp, they need to be in their room, not roaming the ship unsupervised

Same. On NCL, there is a 1am curfew for everyone 17 and under - unless they are a) with parents or b) participating in an organized kid/teen club activity. I'm sure it's not perfect, but at least it's publicized. Now whether or not a curfew would have prevented the incident in this thread is another story. :)