What happens if Carnival pulls out before booked cruise?

LindaKE

The local news just reported that Carnival MAY plan to pull out of Mobile after the Fantasy December contract expires. We're booked on the Fantasy in April/May. What happens to our cruise if Carnival pulls out of Mobile before we sail?

If that should happen, Carnival will likely consider the cruise cancelled and either give you a full cash refund or apply what you've paid to a future cruise credit. We've never had that happen and there may be other considerations that Carnival will make available - perhaps others on this forum can provide insight as to whether that has happened for them.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/port-cancellation-policy.aspx

The local news just reported that Carnival MAY plan to pull out of Mobile after the Fantasy December contract expires. We're booked on the Fantasy in April/May. What happens to our cruise if Carnival pulls out of Mobile before we sail?

Happen? You cruise will be canceled, will be refunded or offered to get on a ship. Nonrefundable airfare will be paid for by Carnival, up to stated limits.

So Carnival just donated $20,000 to the YMCA this morning is a big ceremony. Not exactly what I'd expect from them if they were about to announce that they're pulling out, but anything is possible, I suppose.

http://local15tv.com/news/local/carnival-cruise-lines-donates-to-ymca

http://wkrg.com/2017/07/24/breaking-mobile-mayor-stimpson-plans-to-meet-with-carnival-executives/

Edited by Thorncroft

So Carnival just donated $20,000 to the YMCA this morning is a big ceremony. Not exactly what I'd expect from them if they were about to announce that they're pulling out, but anything is possible, I suppose.

That sounds like they are planning to continue to sail from Mobile, but $20,000 is really a drop in the bucket to them so it's no guarantee. Crossing my fingers because I really am looking forward to this cruise and really don't want to go anywhere other than Mobile to embark. Mobile is close to home.

That sounds like they are planning to continue to sail from Mobile, but $20,000 is really a drop in the bucket to them so it's no guarantee. Crossing my fingers because I really am looking forward to this cruise and really don't want to go anywhere other than Mobile to embark. Mobile is close to home.

I wouldn't worry about it until there's something to worry about. The mayor will be in Miami on the 31st to talk contract details with Carnival. It doesn't appear that there's any real news to report at this time. Whoever is saying that Carnival "may" pullout, while always a technically correct statement, is guessing just like we are. All other actions, by Carnival themselves, point to them planning on staying.

Carnival is accepting bookings on the Fantasy from Mobile through April 2019. I will bet $1 that the contract runs at least this long & that they don't pull out before the contract ends. That being said, we were booked back-to-back on the last 2 7-night sailings of the Pride when Carnival pulled out of Baltimore several years ago. They cancelled both legs of our cruise to send the ship to dry dock early. So they gave us a full refund, and also offered us 2 more 7 night cruises for the same price we paid on the Pride. We happily took them up on the offer because we had gotten such a good deal.

Carnival is accepting bookings on the Fantasy from Mobile through April 2019. I will bet $1 that the contract runs at least this long & that they don't pull out before the contract ends. That being said, we were booked back-to-back on the last 2 7-night sailings of the Pride when Carnival pulled out of Baltimore several years ago. They cancelled both legs of our cruise to send the ship to dry dock early. So they gave us a full refund, and also offered us 2 more 7 night cruises for the same price we paid on the Pride. We happily took them up on the offer because we had gotten such a good deal.

Carnival's contract with Mobile is up in Dec 2017, but the mayor will be in Miami on the 31st to talk extension. Meanwhile, Carnival is booking into 2019 and has added longer sailings to the schedule going to Princess Cays, Nassau, Freeport, Key West, Belize, Limon, Mahogany Bay and a partial Canal transit in addition to all of the usual stops. It doesn't sound like they're entertaining the option of pulling out.

It seems like I remember others posting here on this board in the past that when this happened to them, Carnival gave them options, but you had to tell them within 24 of their notification to you what your preference is. So it might be worthwhile to research suitable alternatives in advance just in case.

We had a repositioning cruise cancelled out of Tampa 3 years ago. Carnival kept the price we booked the same & we got to pick a cruise at the same time of year. Our balconies were upgraded to the max in cat 8. We ended up with ledo deck balconies 4 in a row. So we sailed on the Freedom for 8 days instead of the Pride for 7. Hope it works out well for you if its cancelled.

"We have been happy with how things have been going," said Carnival's VP of corporate communications, Jennifer De La Cruz. "I know there's a lot of work that's been happening in terms of a contract extension and from what I understand there's no reason it shouldn't get done," said De La Cruz.

"Obviously we're anxious to get a new contract signed and that ought to be happening in the next several days," said Mayor Stimpson.

Stimpson wouldn't discuss specifics of that new contract, but said the cruise line is happy.

http://local15tv.com/news/local/fantasy-future-looks-bright-mayor-to-meet-with-carnival-execs-next-monday

Stimpson also said that we shouldn't count on it until everything is signed. He may have just been being cautious or he may know that there are some sticking points to be settled. Either way, I hope it's settled soon. We've picked an alternate cruise out of New Orleans as a "just in case" as a previous poster recommended

You get a refund.

Is that when they were sending the ship to have the scrubbers installed?

Bill

Stimpson also said that we shouldn't count on it until everything is signed. He may have just been being cautious or he may know that there are some sticking points to be settled. Either way, I hope it's settled soon. We've picked an alternate cruise out of New Orleans as a "just in case" as a previous poster recommended

Exactly! Just be prepared, and not worry, about what may happen. You won't get less than what you have paid if your cruise is cancelled.