Lost passport, leaving in 13 days, can she go without?

amyhphoto

So of course my 6 year olds passport is expired, and we applied a month ago for her new passport. We looked up the status and it's been mailed over 10 days ago. It's lost in the mail. So we fill out a DS 86 form and im mailing it today. Now I sit and hope her passport shows up before we set sail on the Oasis from Port Canaveral on August 06. Im pretty sure she can go on the trip without a passport, Im hoping the experts here can confirm. Im hoping to avoid a major freakout on my part. Thanks for any insight.

Does your cruise line require a passport? If not, and it's a closed-loop cruise, she just needs her birth certificate.

You just know once they receive that form and cancel the passport, it'll show up :).

Certified copy of her Birth Certificate will work (if she is a US citizen). Make sure it is one that is issued from your state's office of vital statistics/records and know the difference between that and a hospital certificate of birth, which will NOT be accepted.......

May be too late for the OP, but I always suggest getting at least two copies of (you fill in) certificates. One goes in the bank box and you know its always there. The other can be used for travel, apply for passports, etc.

Since it is likely that you sent your copy of the birth certificate to the Passport folks, you may want to start looking into getting another copy.
Since the OP said her daughter's passport had expired, I don't believe she has to send in a birth certificate to get a new one, just has to send in the expired passport. At least this is what I do when I renew mine.

Since the OP said her daughter's passport had expired, I don't believe she has to send in a birth certificate to get a new one, just has to send in the expired passport. At least this is what I do when I renew mine.

rules are different for under 16 years.

under 16 can not 'renew by mail' ... application must be made in person.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/under-16.html

My mind would be "at ease" once I spoke with the cruise line and received their answer followed up by an email from them confirming the same.

The OP's mind should be at ease from the answers here. The cruise that she is taking is a closed loop cruise from Port Canaveral. All that is required for a six year old US citizen is a birth certificate issued by a government agency. Of all of the issues that are raised on CC, this one is pretty cut and dried.

The OP's mind should be at ease from the answers here. The cruise that she is taking is a closed loop cruise from Port Canaveral. All that is required for a six year old US citizen is a birth certificate issued by a government agency. Of all of the issues that are raised on CC, this one is pretty cut and dried.

Miracles can happen.

And on RCCL's site, it says exactly what's been posted here as to required documents to cruise.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My mind would be "at ease" once I spoke with the cruise line and received their answer followed up by an email from them confirming the same.

Something tells me your mind is rarely at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A poster, not in this thread, corrected an error many of us posted and believed to be true. For a child under 16 an original or even certified copy of a BC isn't required. An ordinary photocopy is sufficient.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

The poster actually cites rules which allows use of an ordinary photocopy by adults. Several posters report being able to cruise with "home made" copies.

That's beyond my comfort level, even if technically allowed.

A poster, not in this thread, corrected an error many of us posted and believed to be true. For a child under 16 an original or even certified copy of a BC isn't required. An ordinary photocopy is sufficient.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

The poster actually cites rules which allows use of an ordinary photocopy by adults. Several posters report being able to cruise with "home made" copies.

That's beyond my comfort level, even if technically allowed.

RCCL requires minors to have an original or certified copy of their BC, however Carnival allows, or at least allowed at one time a photocopy to be used for closed loop cruises.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do

Edited by Herfnerd

RCCL requires minors to have an original or certified copy of their BC, however Carnival allows, or at least allowed at one time a photocopy to be used for closed loop cruises.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do

"Original or certified copy" means nothing- the original stays in the custody of the state at all times and what they send out is a certified copy of what they hold on to and this is what most people consider to be their "original". You can make a notarized copy of that if you want to but that does not mean that it is certified (and it doesn't help matters that CBP has that language on their website which just clouds the issue more). The DHS regulations say "original or copy" and that is what they will accept. Of course it is best to bring the original but I have read of many cruises that were saved because of a faxed copy of a birth certificate (and I believe I've even read that on the RCCL forum but wouldn't swear to it).

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2008/04/03/E8-6725/documents-required-for-travelers-departing-from-or-arriving-in-the-united-states-at-sea-and-land#h-111

The link to RCCL allows

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) or Trusted Travel Documents. Click here for a list of all approved documents.

A copy of a BC is one such document.

Again, I don't suggest it but a passenger has a case.

The CBP's site for WHTI Trusted Travel Documents simply state a BC and government issued photo ID which makes it more confusing, however the RCCL site states an original or certified copy of a BC is acceptable for minors.

Sparks brings up a point as to what is considered original or certified but we're starting to split hairs. Yes, the state keeps the "original" BC but in this case, "certified" is generally known as a copy with a raised seal from the state's office of vital statistics or registrar

To make things even more confusing, many hospitals issue certificates of live birth which is not a BC but a document that states a child was born. This document may or may not be certified - by the hospital. They will send this to the state's registrar or office of vital stats in order to create a BC which states where a person was born. The two documents are different and the former will not be accepted on cruise ships, at the passport office or anywhere else a document is needed that establishes citizenship........

Edited by Herfnerd

The RCCL site says a WHITI approved document is acceptable. For children under 16 an original, photocopy or certified copy are all acceptable. At least for a child under 16 the requirement of a certified copy is a myth.

Again RCCL suggests a certified copy of a BC but says it will accept any WHTI approved document.

I don't suggest using a home done photocopy but several posters have.

The CBP's site for WHTI Trusted Travel Documents simply state a BC and government issued photo ID which makes it more confusing, however the RCCL site states an original or certified copy of a BC is acceptable for minors.

Sparks brings up a point as to what is considered original or certified but we're starting to split hairs. Yes, the state keeps the "original" BC but in this case, "certified" is generally known as a copy with a raised seal from the state's office of vital statistics or registrar

To make things even more confusing, many hospitals issue certificates of live birth which is not a BC but a document that states a child was born. This document may or may not be certified - by the hospital. They will send this to the state's registrar or office of vital stats in order to create a BC which states where a person was born. The two documents are different and the former will not be accepted on cruise ships, at the passport office or anywhere else a document is needed that establishes citizenship........

The law splits hairs and the definitions given to words matter in how the law is interpreted. I do not encourage people to show up with only a copy of their birth certificate, but people should know what the options are because other documents may be lost or stolen on the way to the cruise and as I said a faxed copy of a birth certificate has saved many cruises. I know that if I had the option to show up with a copy or to show up with nothing which option I would choose. I realize that cruise lines can set their own standards but I don't know if that would stand up in a court challenge if a passenger were denied boarding for having documentation that is sufficient under the law, if the cruise line didn't issue a refund after the fact.

The RCCL site says a WHITI approved document is acceptable. For children under 16 an original, photocopy or certified copy are all acceptable. At least for a child under 16 the requirement of a certified copy is a myth.

Again RCCL suggests a certified copy of a BC but says it will accept any WHTI approved document.

I don't suggest using a home done photocopy but several posters have.

While the RCCL site states WHTI approved documents are acceptable, they also have a section with exceptions for minors under the age of 16 which states "either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services". I could be wrong but if the WHTI approved docs applied to all, why would they have a separate section for minors? Just nuts.

Mebbe its just me but I wouldn't show up with a photocopy either - we've always cruised with a passport. With the subjectiveness the rules could be interpreted, I would want to make sure that we are able to board without a doubt......

While the RCCL site states WHTI approved documents are acceptable, they also have a section with exceptions for minors under the age of 16 which states "either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services". I could be wrong but if the WHTI approved docs applied to all, why would they have a separate section for minors? Just nuts.

Mebbe its just me but I wouldn't show up with a photocopy either - we've always cruised with a passport. With the subjectiveness the rules could be interpreted, I would want to make sure that we are able to board without a doubt......

Yes, it is nuts that there is a distinction and I blame whoever wrote CBP's current website for the confusion because that is the language CBP is currently using.