Captain Karlo Buer.

Able Seaman H

Unfortunately Captain Karlo has passed away, as I understand it following a battle with cancer.

I'm sure many of us will have cruised with him over the years. I still remember when he introduced his first officer at a captains evening. "He is only a heartbeat away from being captain". "Unfortunately it's my heartbeat !"

Our thoughts are with his family, friends and Seabourn colleagues.

9qQMKPBJOPc

We have sailed with Captain Karlo many times and will surely miss him. We went to a Q & A with the Captain on one of our cruises and he was very funny and personable. We will miss him.

That is a shock , my wife and I where just saying Captain Karlo is one of our favorite captains ever.The saying the good die young,certainly fits this wonderful man.We will always cherish the wonderful days sailing with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed with him three times, for about 80+ days. We have liked all our Seabourn Captains, but he was special! In addition to "your home away from home...." our favorite line, at the Captain's reception, was: "Here is my team. If you have any problem whatsoever, do not hesitate to contact them and let them know. However, if you have a compliment, please be sure and contact me!"

We had expected to see him on Encore inaugural, but were told he wasn't feeling well.

Condolences to the family!

I copied this from a 2010 article in "The Cruise People, Ltd Canada" and am sharing it as it points out how important Captain Buer was to Seabourn.

"Captain Karlo Buer, also from Norway, first joined Seabourn in 1989 to supervise the building of Seabourn Spirit. Since then, even with intermittent stints in shoreside positions, he has commanded every Seabourn yacht, including Seabourn Odyssey and Seabourn Sojourn during their respective maiden Voyages."