Skagway - Budget Options?

geomancer

What options are there in Skagway that are inexpensive for three people?

(I had asked this in a different thread, but was pointed to try here)

The offerings from the cruise ship are unreasonably steep. For example $450 for a hiking trip. That's just too rich for my blood. Another user pointed out downloading hiking information and I found some trails you can start from in/near town from the National Park Service that look good.

Interested in hearing any other options (other than shopping) that won't be $100+ for something that takes an hour or two.

Also, unrelated but not important enough to start a new thread over, are the pools on these ships heated? Weather in late August averages in the mid 50's.

Thanks for any advice!

We were not able to use the pools. The one covered pool was crowded and full of kids. My husband was able to get in the hot tub one day but I hate to be cold getting in and out of the water so I couldn't do it.

You could take the 3.5 hour train ride--through our ship it was $129/pp.

Another option is to rent a car for all of you ($150) and drive through the Yukon and up to Emerald Lake on your own. You can download the Murray's travel app for $5.Then have lunch at Red Onion Saloon.

Here are some links I have saved re hiking in Skagway.

https://skagwayshoretours.com/best-short-hikes-in-skagway/

http://www.alaska.org/assets/content/maps/Trail%20Maps/skagway-trail-guide.pdf

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1791168

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm#lowerlake

Every town/port has a web site to help promote tourism and local vendors, incl Skagway. Look at www.skagway.com

There is a long list of web sites if you look back a few pages for a thread called 'helpful resources.....', or do a search for it.

Rent a car and drive to the Yukon and Emerald Lake

The klondike goldrush NP provides fascinating info on the history of skagway and the goldrush. Check out the ranger-led walking tours.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

The Goldrush Cemetary is at the edge of town and is where some of the interesting goldrush characters are buried. At the edge of the cemetary is a trail to Lower Reid Falls. If you dont rent a car, the city bus has a $5day pass and drops you pretty close to the cemetary.

The town site also had info/maps on walking tours and hikes.

Thoughts...

• while I can understand budgets, riding the train gives you an historic appreciation for the area.
  • look for combo tours for savings and time by grouping activities together
  • the Red Onion offers affordable lip service

[YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

We rented a car and drove the Klondike Highway. We got our car for the day for $125...but that's a reservation made back in Oct...rates tend to increase the closer you get to the actual date...but it might be worth a try. (Take passports if you want to go into Canada...which is what the Klondike Hwy does......;))

Then....if you're into "history" and Nat'l Parks, the town of Skagway is one great big Nat'l Park. I think someone above linked to that (We LOVE things like this so we're struggling with how to fit Klondike Hwy and Nat'l Park into 13 hrs... haha) Most of the things associated with the Park are free...or tours for .75 pp - which I still place in the 'free' category...;)

I don't remember if anyone linked to the site to make reservations for tours with the Nat'l Park system...if not, it's http://recreation.gov

The SMART shuttle (city bus...) is $2/ride...or $5 for a day pass, though it's not that far to walk if you're 'walkers'....

I don't know if that shuttle will take you all the way out to DYea and the Chilkoot trail, but that's a very historic area (again...we're history buffs so find this sort of thing interesting...) and a nice trail. The entire trail is 33 miles long, but no one says you have to hike the entire thing...haha! We just go as far as we want then turn around. The Dyea Townsite has a walking tour too - again...reserved at recreation.gov for .75 pp. Note: Dyea is 9 mi outside of town so if no shuttle or car, may be too far???

There's a Skagway Museum in the McCabe Bldg, but we've never been there so I don't know anything about it...but honestly, the Nat'l Park service does museums SO WELL that with that option, I can't imagine wanting to go to any other museum.... :D

You know...so much of recommendations are dependent on what someone likes......

These are just the things I've written down because it's what we like - and other than a possibly very expensive 'late' car rental, are VERY economical.

Edited by rgmacm

We did the Glacier Wilderness Safari where we got to walk to and touch Davidson Glacier and drink the water. That was fantastic, but not inexpensive.So for the afternoon we had planned to just walk around Skagway. We ended up meeting up with the park ranger friend of one of our party and he took us to the play, "Days of '98". DON'T MISS THIS. It is well done, actors audition in New York each season, and explains the history of the town some in an entertaining way. Afterwards we visited the National Park museum, and the Soapy Smith museum (both free). We are beer geeks so a visit to the Skagway brewery was required, then a quick stop at the Red Onion. I wouldn't plan on a meal here, the menu is ordinary, but the ambience is fun and touristy.

If you want real budget, the National Park Service has a building in town that shows video of the Stampeders. They also do free walking tours around town.

The free walking tour I did was exceptional. Great Park Ranger.

Oh that's great to know!!! I've booked the 3pm Historical Walking Tour for when we are there.

It was a $1.50 reservation fee lol!! Well worth it in my books

The Park Ranger really made it great. She was the perfect person to give tours. I think she was a former teacher and spends winters in FLL and summers in Skagway.

The Park Ranger really made it great. She was the perfect person to give tours. I think she was a former teacher and spends winters in FLL and summers in Skagway.

Oh perfect! It said the topics varied which is kinda fun to not know exactly what you're going to be hearing about.

another vote for walk/hike to cemetery. Jewells garden is in the back of town fairly close to the cemetery too. If salmon are running nice to watch them in the streams between cruise ship and town. agree with ranger led hike.

lots of options. we have gone from $0 to $1000's and always have a great time in port

Thanks for all the great tips. I didn't know about being able to make reservations for the ranger tours, I'll be sure to do that.

We don't cruise until next year, so *lots* of time. Can't actually get anything but the cruise booked yet since it's so far out. Hopefully United keeps their prices down, when I looked it was $161 for a one way flight across the entire country (Boston->Seattle) which is crazy cheap. Bad press is good for something. But next year is a different year, so who knows.

We enjoyed our hike to the Gold Rush cemetery and Lower Reid Falls. We followed that with a visit to Jewell Gardens, and after we kept hiking up the road over to Yakutania Point. There's an overlook along the way--and most importantly a pedestrian bridge over the creek that will get you back to your cruise ship.

We started out by doing a free Park Ranger-led walking tour which was excellent ("Buffalo Soldiers in Skagway"-- who knew?). Then we did a self-guided walking tour which I downloaded from an online source. The walking tour included the hike to the Gold Rush Cemetery and up to Lower Reid Falls.

The Park Rangers are very knowledgeable about the hikes in the area. You can download maps and directions for these hikes before you go (we did) and the Rangers will help you choose those that best fit your interests and ability.