Bay of biscay

Nathan_G

Hi, I am going through the bay of biscay on Sunday and the weather says 2m swell at max and 20 knot winds at most. I have had bad experiences through the bay of biscay before and therefore makes me anxious to go through, should this weather move the cruise at all? (It's the independence)

2m is not that bad but the ship will probably move a bit

Take seasick remedies with you just in case & stay mid ship

Yeah I mean I did go through with like 70+ knots winds last time so that probably didn't help my experience 😂

Yeah I mean I did go through with like 70+ knots winds last time so that probably didn't help my experience 😂

That would do it :)

Been through force 9 gale in the Irish sea on a 30,000 GRT ship

Not fun but we survived :halo:

20 knots wind and 2 m. swells are not likely to be really noticeable on a ship that size. Depending upon ship's course vis a visa the wind, you could experience anything from 0 to 40 knots apparent wind on open decks.

Ok, if that's true you have just put me in the best mood for this week!

Hi, I am going through the bay of biscay on Sunday and the weather says 2m swell at max and 20 knot winds at most. I have had bad experiences through the bay of biscay before and therefore makes me anxious to go through, should this weather move the cruise at all? (It's the independence)

I don't think you'll notice 2m on a ship that size so I wouldn't worry. Just curious, where did you find swell information?

Personally never place much faith in long range weather forecasts before a cruise!

Anyone interested Google the Independence in 2012 in the Bay of Biscayne. Gale force 12 - she handed it well - that was in April. Was on board for the same thing in November also 2012.

If you are concerned pack sea sick meds - it can happen. Wasn't in the forecast for our cruise, but we had a rough time. Fortunately didn't bother me, but hard for many people. Top decks and pools closed, but our corner aft balcony took plenty of water.

2 meter swells are nothing much for larger cruise ships. That being said, the amount of ship movement is going to depend on what angle those swells hit the ship. Stabilizers do a great job in dampening rolling motions (side to side) but are not very effective against pitching.

Hank

What's 2 meters .... roughly 6 feet, and 20 knot wind equates to about 23 miles per hour, I think. You might be rocking a little, and out on the open deck it could be breezy, but overall shouldn't be too bad.