Day Four on Journey--First Thoughts

hiccups

I left the ship on Wed morning. I always find the drink list in my cabin along with other folders etc.. i put them away and pull the wine and beer out of fridge. in my fridge is water and soda. I never known any fridge that had free drinks on any ship.

Most guests know not to get a cabin under or over the show room. .for most of us we are not in our cabin before 1030. but i heard others can not be below Windows.

You did need to talk to crew and they will talk to you. by my second or third cruise everyone knew me as i talk to people. i have a lot of crew friends

Don't forget to fill in your mid cruise questionairre where any problems or niggles you highlight should be addressed.

I am also sure that Bonnie or even someone from the ship will have read your initial post and will be acting on improving your experience. It should not be necessary though should it?!

The mid-cruise questionnaire is a good way, but they still need to raise the issue at the time, preferably to one of the more senior of the crew. That's what Azamara want done. As for someone from the ship reading this thread, even if they do it isn't the right vehicle for sorting out small issues like this and it's not Bonnie's function here either.

Phil

I left the ship on Wed morning. I always find the drink list in my cabin along with other folders etc.. i put them away and pull the wine and beer out of fridge. in my fridge is water and soda. I never known any fridge that had free drinks on any ship.

Most guests know not to get a cabin under or over the show room. .for most of us we are not in our cabin before 1030. but i heard others can not be below Windows.

You did need to talk to crew and they will talk to you. by my second or third cruise everyone knew me as i talk to people. i have a lot of crew friends

The OP is new to Azamara and does not have your vast experience Robin so I can understand where their confusion could have arisen re the included/not included drink especially because a lot of marketing says all wine included on some sites. As Nordski says, this is something for the mid cruise feedback. Given that they felt there were also a few other glitches on embarkation re their requests, this could then all be looked at by a supervisor- was the attendant overworked, struggling or what.

Everything else, say at the time or move on. Some guests are memorable, others prefer to have a little less "visibility" but a quiet word if you think it's needed is all that's required. If you really think it's a big thing, ask for a coffee with the hotel director otherwise smile and say hello as they or other stripes pass you. Conversations will happen. (But bear in mind some stripes are Marine/Engineering so have a different focus, though all still say hello)

I'm really sorry the weather in Scotland Wednesday and Thursday is going to be really wet - at least the good old Scottish weather will give you a good conversation icebreaker with everyone- sorry we couldn't find you anything more positive.

Edited by uktog

Well, we all can't think of everything when considering a cabin, and if I recall, if we didn't want an obstructed view, the forward cabins might have been the only available cabins when we booked last September. It's interesting--until about the end of April there were almost 30 balcony cabins available, with just about all the non-obstructed OVs gone. For awhile there, I had hoped we might score an LCV upgrade, but overnight the balcony cabins were booked up by a group out of Seattle, I heard on our roll call. Not every review commented on the noise from rehearsals--I thought perhaps it was just a fluke on certain days for people with very sensitive hearing. Which, my husband will tell you, I do not have :) I definitely have noticed some shows are quieter than others, which helps. I brought along earplugs and so have been using those as well.

Our cabin is also noisy and suffers from vibrations on docking/tendering and departing, but luckily that's short-lived.

Another thing I forgot to mention I like about the cabin is the amount of storage space in the bathroom--it was great to be able to unpack my toiletries.

One nitpick about the cabin is that there was a split of wine and a few beers in the fridge, neither of which are in the included drink package. I knew because I'd seen the list they were an extra charge, but my husband wouldn't have known. I would guess at least a few first-time passengers probably had a drink before realizing it was an extra charge.

I think for meals, we'll stick with Discoveries whenever possible, as it's consistently had the best food. We've really enjoyed the breakfasts--yesterday the fruit carving station had pomegranate, yum! I've never seen that on any other cruise ship so that was very enjoyable.

Service continues to be good, but not at the "extra" level I might have anticipated. But again, that is not a complaint on the service, just an observation based on other posts. Today when I returned to the ship from the tender, a few other passengers and I were on the top deck. When we got to the lower level, all the crew that had been on the ferry stepped aside and motioned us to go before them, which was very nice.

As nordski noted, unless we're in port, internet has been pretty poor. Thank goodness for the LCV discount on the unlimited package!

The hot chocolate has been a nice touch when returning to the ship on the chillier days.

One aspect I hadn't been aware of on Azamara that is a great feature has been the local representative on board at each of the ports with maps, tour brochures, etc. If that's been available on other lines we've sailed, I've missed it, and it's a fantastic help because I didn't book many excursions on this trip. In Holyhead they had pens and keychains, so I picked one up for the spare key for the pet sitter when we get back :)

Enjoy the rest of your trip and look forward to boarding next week for the Scotland to the Baltics cruise! Hope the weather settles for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote=uktog;53612171

I'm really sorry the weather in Scotland Wednesday and Thursday is going to be really wet - at least the good old Scottish weather will give you a good conversation icebreaker with everyone- sorry we couldn't find you anything more positive.

Thanks to you and Spursgirl for mentioning the weather but in our case, perhaps incorrectly, we assume this is typical of the British Isles and would want to experience it.

And it's interesting to observe people going about their business in the midst of a light shower. Some not even bothering to unfurl their umbrellas.

Thanks to you and Spursgirl for mentioning the weather but in our case, perhaps incorrectly, we assume this is typical of the British Isles and would want to experience it.

And it's interesting to observe people going about their business in the midst of a light shower. Some not even bothering to unfurl their umbrellas.

Two very valid observations - we call a light shower a Scotch mist....(no that is not an alcoholic drink) :D

I have just watched the lunchtime forecast, I think the low that is coming in this week is unseasonally low so will probably kickup high winds on the west channels possibly even gales so yes its the usual with a little bit of added spice but hopefully you will miss the spice

I well remember a Round Britain cruise we did on Oceania Marina a few years ago. It was in July and POURED down with rain every day. I'm sure Oban, Skye and Orkney are absolutely beautiful places but we didn't see any of them due to the heavy fog and rain.

The rain was so heavy in Edinburgh that I was expecting Noah to come sailing along Princes St.

Ah well...the British Summer. ☹️

So glad I'm off to The Med on Quest in a few days time. :D

We may eventually give up the ghost on X after many many yrs...just not what it used to be.....so i am reading all AZ reviews with great interest. We would book a basic balcony mid ships in a quiet area and we enjoy using the spa. Currently sail X AQ class.

We greatly appreciate the review and other comments. Would be helpful to know what other lines OP has sailed to better understand comments re food and service..thank you

We may eventually give up the ghost on X after many many yrs...just not what it used to be.....so i am reading all AZ reviews with great interest. We would book a basic balcony mid ships in a quiet area and we enjoy using the spa. Currently sail X AQ class.

We greatly appreciate the review and other comments. Would be helpful to know what other lines OP has sailed to better understand comments re food and service..thank you

I'm looking forward to my first Az cruise next week and happy to report back- having sailed RC and Celebrity in the past (suite and Concierge)- particularly interested in to comparing Az MDR to our recent experience in Luminae which was fantastic...

Two sayings from my British Army training days:

1. If it ain't raining it ain't training.

2. Skin is waterproof.

Kind of sums up our attitude to rain...:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to my first Az cruise next week and happy to report back- having sailed RC and Celebrity in the past (suite and Concierge)- particularly interested in to comparing Az MDR to our recent experience in Luminae which was fantastic...

Not saying you won't enjoy the Azamara MDR, but if you loved Luminae then you may set yourself up for disappointment in the larger venue. Maybe the smaller Specialties are a better comparison (the Chef's Tables are excellent). Personally I found Luminae a bit OTT on the service front and not always sincere and the food was good, but not outstanding. Perhaps that is just me.

Phil

Two sayings from my British Army training days:

1. If it ain't raining it ain't training.

2. Skin is waterproof.

Kind of sums up our attitude to rain...:rolleyes:

There's always the officers' shopworn question: "Y'afraid ya gonna melt?".

The weather bar was set very low for me when I read about the experience of the Newfoundland Regiment training on Salisbury Plain in 1914. [emoji28]

Not saying you won't enjoy the Azamara MDR, but if you loved Luminae then you may set yourself up for disappointment in the larger venue. Maybe the smaller Specialties are a better comparison (the Chef's Tables are excellent). Personally I found Luminae a bit OTT on the service front and not always sincere and the food was good, but not outstanding. Perhaps that is just me.

Phil

Thanks Phil! Will keep that in mind next week... I'm fairly easy pleased so sure will be fine, but will look at the speciality venues. Cheers!

Thanks Phil! Will keep that in mind next week... I'm fairly easy pleased so sure will be fine, but will look at the speciality venues. Cheers!

Just continuing on the subject of food and if you like Asian I'd highly recommend the Indonesian Rijsttafel. It's not always well advertised so ask the question of one if the Maitre d's. It's a lovely evening and really good, pretty authentic food. Depending upon the number interested will determine whether they do it and also the venue. Last cruise they closed a portion of the Sunset Veranda and we had two large tables there. Very nice. Have a wonderful cruise regardless.

Phil

Just continuing on the subject of food and if you like Asian I'd highly recommend the Indonesian Rijsttafel. It's not always well advertised so ask the question of one if the Maitre d's. It's a lovely evening and really good, pretty authentic food. Depending upon the number interested will determine whether they do it and also the venue. Last cruise they closed a portion of the Sunset Veranda and we had two large tables there. Very nice. Have a wonderful cruise regardless.

This sounds wonderful, and I've never heard of it on our previous AZ sailings. We'll ask early in our September cruise on Journey. Thanks for the tip.

I am actually glad to have read about the drinks in the fridge not being part of those included as I have had a very different experience. I have never had a stocked fridge on an all inclusive cruise not be free. Good to know.

I am actually glad to have read about the drinks in the fridge not being part of those included as I have had a very different experience. I have never had a stocked fridge on an all inclusive cruise not be free. Good to know.

All sodas in there are free, but any alcohol or special water like Perrier is chargeable. There should be bar price list in the cabin.

Phil

Phil

I know they did it on the JR on my cruises. But it was indoors due to weather. When I did it we had it on the patio. it was just to hot there. They have the waiters dress up. Also they are working on an Asian Wine dinner .What I read sounded great. Do not know how often we will see it. Only once in a month.

All sodas in there are free, but any alcohol or special water like Perrier is chargeable. There should be bar price list in the cabin.

Phil

Why don't they stock it with the free stuff? Perhaps I should have read the small print on inclusions- seems like it is not as all inclusive as I assumed.

Edited by 5waldos

Why don't they stock it with the free stuff? Perhaps I should have read the small print on inclusions- seems like it is not as all inclusive as I assumed.

My experience has been that most of the room in the (small) fridge was taken up by the free sodas. Maybe a small bottle of wine and a beer or two, but that was it. The rest was Coke, soda water, tonic etc.

Phil

Phil

I will second that. We did the Indonesian rijsttafel on our last Azamara cruise and it was wonderful.

Sat with some great people and had a lovely time.