Kid jumps from Princess deck railing into pool

jeffdal

This is the problem with Princess.....I have never seen their staff enforce any of their rules anywhere.....it is usually passenger against passenger which often leads to unnecessary confrontations that could possibly be prevented if staff would monitor pools, theaters, health club etc.....:(

It's not just Princess, it's NCL and RCI too. I've seen a wheelchair left in a corridor day/night, stroller left in the aisle during a darkened show performance, kids in the adult pool/hot tub.

Isn't this pool antics something security should address? ,

I also hope the people in the pool reported the kids to security. I've reprimanded kids who were jumping into the pools from the sides. If you hold their heads under water, they stop their horseplay.

The video on here is also posted under Royal Caribbean thread. Therein a poster has sent a copy of the video to Princess media department with full details in the hope the people doing this dangerous stunt can be identified. This type of activity is very dangerous and needs prompt stopping. If the cruise is currently in progress the culprits might be disembarked. Alternatively if the cruise has finished but the people located they could be put on a Carnival blacklist.

Regards John

Kids just don't get it any more and parenting is going down the dumper. I'm surprised it's Princess but here's video proof. Should be enough to trace down this family and ban them for life. I don't feel bad. That's why we cruise when the angelic cherubs are in school. I watched the video for 5 seconds.

Kids just don't get it any more and parenting is going down the dumper. I'm surprised it's Princess but here's video proof. Should be enough to trace down this family and ban them for life. I don't feel bad. That's why we cruise when the angelic cherubs are in school. I watched the video for 5 seconds.

I won't argue with that other than to say it isn't just these days. When we first moved here 30 years ago the neighbors told us about a previous owner's kids who rode their BMX type bikes off of the roof of the house and into the pool. My reaction was that's just plain nuts on those kids' part. Then I went to work for a guy who had a similar setup with the location his house to the pool. We became friends with one of his neighbors and they said my boss' kids did the same thing. Again, wow, unbelievable. I think it has a lot to do with kids and pools. Not excusing it, just saying this type of behavior has been happening for years. :(

Having been a school principal for many years watching a video like this frightens me. When other teens see this dangerous and inappropriate action a number of them will want to imitate it. Hopefully the cruise line will impose some type of consequence and more importantly the parents will impose a more serious consequence.

I am often asleep when my 19 year old is still up and about on the ship. My 13 year old has free run and usually puts himself to be before 10, but he has stayed out later.

Just because I am in my room, and they have a room across the hall, does not mean that as a parent I have done anything wrong. I know my kids. They have rules and structure and follow them. Neither of my boys is so stupid as to pull some kind of stunt like this and I assure you had they seen it, they would have reported it.

The issue here is not addressed by a blanket statement about where the parents are. Did your parents watch you all day everyday when you were 14 or 15 - which is about the age I am guessing these kids are?

These kids (both of them) were 100% in the wrong. They are old enough to know better. Should they and their parents be put off the ship? Absolutely. Banned from Princess forever? Perhaps, depending on ship policy.

But the issue is NOT where parents are given the age kid of this kid- it is much broader in terms of the general parenting. Did the parents know that this kid was running a blog? Had they ever observed him being a daredevil before? What kinds of rules did they have in place for the trip? How was the child raised in generally with rules and consequences?

Despite your best efforts at rules and structures as a parent, kids do make independent decisions, and sometimes they are bad. Shoot, even adults from 18 -100 will have more than one or two and get behind the wheel of a car; never been in trouble before yet now we can add DUI to their record. Does that make their parents bad? Before you can pass judgment on the parents choice, you need to know the answer to such questions, and we never will.

I agree. Just because the kids did something stupid does not make their parents bad parents. No one knows how the parents will (or have) reacted to such a stupid move on the kid's part. Heaven forbid the parents were having a nightcap together or sleeping or whatever. You people do realize that kids are not physically attached to their parents, right?

That said, ANYONE on CC who says they have never done anything stupid as a kid or in their lives in a downright liar. Or you lived in a bubble. Parents can not watch their child 100% of the time. Do you follow your children everywhere or do you go to work. Do your children sleep in your bed with you so you can monitor them? Where do you sit when the kid's are in their classroom? How about at lunch break. Do you follow them. Of course not. So this blanket blame thing about the parents is ridiculous. Should they be banned? Well, for sure the kids should be and I'm guessing when Princess finds out there will be consequences. Probably the parents will pay dearly for their children's actions. No one on CC knows how their parents will punish them.

......That said, ANYONE on CC who says they have never done anything stupid as a kid or in their lives in a downright liar. Or you lived in a bubble. Parents can not watch their child 100% of the time. Do you follow your children everywhere or do you go to work. Do your children sleep in your bed with you so you can monitor them? Where do you sit when the kid's are in their classroom? How about at lunch break. Do you follow them. Of course not. So this blanket blame thing about the parents is ridiculous. Should they be banned? Well, for sure the kids should be and I'm guessing when Princess finds out there will be consequences. Probably the parents will pay dearly for their children's actions. No one on CC knows how their parents will punish them.

I am amazed that you seem to be making excuses for what he did!

Yes, I may have done stupid things as a kid and teenage, but I never did something that could kill me if I screwed it up. Call me a liar if it makes you feel better, but I was not THAT stupid.

There is a HUGE difference between doing stupid things and taking huge irresponsible risks. If the kid had slipped when jumping, he may have missed the pool and his head may have exploded on the hard edge. If he had misjudged the depth of the pool and hit the bottom feet first, he may have been paralyzed for life. If someone out of view suddenly entered the pool under him, that person may have been severely injured.

What he did is not the normal "stupid" thing the average person would do. He was much more irresponsible than that.

Makes me wonder what values the parents have been teaching him. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Everyone of those people in the pool should have called security immediately and had that kid taken into custody and his whole family should have been put off at the next port and banned from cruising ever again. He endangered himself as well as those already in the pool.

I agree 100%!

I'd like to think that I would have reported those children. But I'm on vacation, no harm was done (despite the obvious danger) and I don't want to get involved. I'd let someone else deal with it, and that's the awful truth.

Had something gone terribly wrong, those parents would absolutely have sued Princess. Even without that lawsuit, Princess is now on notice and probably obliged to do something to prevent a (now-)foreseeable injury. So your next cruise will have all pools and hot tubs closing at dusk, with nets strung across for full prevention (maybe, maybe not).

Hope you enjoyed your fun, kids.

When you see something like that, you have to get involved. Get the nearest staff member and at the same time, shout to the kids that you have called for someone. You could be saving a life.

I also vote for the ban. They should have been put off the ship at the next port

I totally agree with you. I think other kids are going to try the same thing in the future. If nothing is done to the parents or there kids.

Tony

Everyone of those people in the pool should have called security immediately and had that kid taken into custody and his whole family should have been put off at the next port and banned from cruising ever again. He endangered himself as well as those already in the pool.

Totally agree.

I am amazed that you seem to be making excuses for what he did!

Yes, I may have done stupid things as a kid and teenage, but I never did something that could kill me if I screwed it up. Call me a liar if it makes you feel better, but I was not THAT stupid.

There is a HUGE difference between doing stupid things and taking huge irresponsible risks. If the kid had slipped when jumping, he may have missed the pool and his head may have exploded on the hard edge. If he had misjudged the depth of the pool and hit the bottom feet first, he may have been paralyzed for life. If someone out of view suddenly entered the pool under him, that person may have been severely injured.

What he did is not the normal "stupid" thing the average person would do. He was much more irresponsible than that.

Makes me wonder what values the parents have been teaching him. :rolleyes:

You misunderstood or I explained it poorly. Those guys are morons and endangered not only themselves but others and should be punished. My comments were meant about the parents and people commenting on them not being there with them. Kids do things. Parents can't be with them 100% of the time. What I meant is that parents can't know everything their child does. I also agree you teach values when they are young and clearly the parents didn't do their job.

What a couple of low life little pigs. Parents haven't done their job or the little punks might have had some empathy for the other passengers...oh, that is right, empathy requires intelligence which these losers lack. Stupid begets stupid, can only imagine what mom and dad were doing. Hopefully whole tribe banned from all cruise lines.The one good thing is that hopefully this video leads a long life and when these two dorks apply for college or a job this video will come back to bite them. Nothing better than a punishment which fits the crime.

Also boys, your film making was really bad. My pup would have done a better job

I know this sort of thing happens on all cruise lines. However, because this video has probably been viewed and discussed by 1000s of people, I do hope that they make a public announcement of some kind explaining the actions taken in response to this, for the sake of the cruise line and their reputation,

That said, ANYONE on CC who says they have never done anything stupid as a kid or in their lives in a downright liar.

Amen. A lot of fuddy duddys on this board. So many posters here have simply forgotten that they were once adolescents...

That stated...

500+ children on the ship.

Sounds like a nightmare.

You misunderstood or I explained it poorly. Those guys are morons and endangered not only themselves but others and should be punished. My comments were meant about the parents and people commenting on them not being there with them. Kids do things. Parents can't be with them 100% of the time. What I meant is that parents can't know everything their child does. I also agree you teach values when they are young and clearly the parents didn't do their job.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant. Sorry if I misunderstood.

How about that - we agree to agree!!!! :p

Edited by SantaFeFan

Sounds like a nightmare [500+ children on the ship].

Who's being a fuddy duddy now? ;p

It actually wasn't bad. Other than those 8 or 9 brats, the rest of the kids were quite well behaved and not any problem at all. We typically cruise itineraries and cruise lines that have few children on board, and we weren't able to have kids ourselves, so we aren't used to kids on board. But, it honestly was no problem at all except for those already mentioned.

Who's being a fuddy duddy now? ;p

It actually wasn't bad. Other than those 8 or 9 brats, the rest of the kids were quite well behaved and not any problem at all. We typically cruise itineraries and cruise lines that have few children on board, and we weren't able to have kids ourselves, so we aren't used to kids on board. But, it honestly was no problem at all except for those already mentioned.

We've never sailed in the summer, so we're blissfully ignorant to the experience of cruising during non-school breaks. Yet, we're still amazed at the number of families (w/kids in tow) aboard, always wondering why they aren't in school. Are they home-schooled or are the truancy rules more lax in their place(s) of residence?

I generally am sympathetic to the antics of 'kids being kids':halo:, however it has taken some restraint hopping on an elevator noticing that the cute little brats therein have pressed all of the keys for every floor:evilsmile:.