Margaritaville: 14.99$ cover on Breakaway only?

AlexandNessa

All they offer there are slightly upgraded versions of what you can get for free at O"Sheehan's. If I'm going to drop 15 bucks for lunch, I'll go to Food Republic and get my monies worth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

That's the same with all the specialties, just upgraded food for a fee. It's all about choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the same with all the specialties, just upgraded food for a fee. It's all about choices.

What has been upgraded? Is there a new menu there or is it all the same food items as before but with an upgraded price?

This that casual "Well, if you do not like it..." or "...you do not get it... " brush off that I do not understand.

Celebrity just rolled out a "special" hamburger or hot dog for $10.00 ea. There was a lot of negative feedback, as expected, on that forum. Yesterday, someone on the Equinox wrote they suspended the fee for these items. They were on the Mast Grill, which had been free prior tho this fiasco. Evidently, no final decision has been made yet, but at least someone is paying attention. Maybe NCL will do the same.

And that's what great about freestyle. Go there if you want or not. If you were to order two things it certainly pays for itself. I've never been there but the price won't stop me if I ever want to go.

You actually need to order a starter, sandwich and dessert to get to break even.

At a land based Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, (I used the one in the Margaritaville hotel in Hollywood, FL) Volcano Nachos are $15.99 + 6% sales tax = $16.95. They're big enough for two people to split, which was the OP's point. On the ship it would be $14.99 X 2 + 18% service charge = $35.38. Even if you tipped $5 on land (>30%) you'd still be ahead.

The great thing about Freestyle is it's appeal to the math impaired. ;)

Seriously, though - A cover charge of $14.99 pulls it out of the running unless you really want a lot of bar food.

$14.99 for a "specialty" dining option doesn't sound expensive. Yes, if you only are going there to share an order of nachos then it's not worth it. But the same can be said about any of the other specialties that charge a cover. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling the Ox a bull is false characterization. The placement of specialty in quote shows that you understand this point.

NCL turned a free venue into a revenue generator by contracting with a corporation with boomer appeal. First, they tried "free food" offset by the revenue from the contract with Buffet's brand. It was too successful so NCL switched to a service for a fee with Ala carte pricing. This lowered the appeal of the venue.

Now NCL is calling their Ox a Bull. It is now a specialty venue with a cover charge. Since Margarita Ville has first appeared on NCL the food choices and quality of the food has not changed. Only the cost to the passengers has changed.

This is why some are offended by the NCL "upgrade" at Margarita Ville.

The differentiation upgrade between the MDR versus the other specialty venues is much greater than the slight upgrade from O'Sheehans to Margaritaville. Plus the ambiance is upgraded as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Calling the Ox a bull is false characterization. The placement of specialty in quote shows that you understand this point.

NCL turned a free venue into a revenue generator by contracting with a corporation with boomer appeal. First, they tried "free food" offset by the revenue from the contract with Buffet's brand. It was too successful so NCL switched to a service for a fee with Ala carte pricing. This lowered the appeal of the venue.

Now NCL is calling their Ox a Bull. It is now a specialty venue with a cover charge. Since Margarita Ville has first appeared on NCL the food choices and quality of the food has not changed. Only the cost to the passengers has changed.

This is why some are offended by the NCL "upgrade" at Margarita Ville.

The specialty in quotes was to just signify that is it a specialty solely because there is a cover. And possibly just slightly better than some free options. I have never eaten there but I am not offended by a $14.95 charge as if I were to go there and let's say order nachos and a burger than it pays for itself. I understand other people's points about well if 2 people go and want to share etc than it's not worth it. And that's why I was saying what is good about freestyle. You have choices and can choose to go or not if you don't think it is worth it. In the end NCL will settle on a method that both makes them money and is agreeable to most passengers.

Thanks for trying. I'm going to guess, by lack of response, that the cover charge trial isn't taking place on the Getaway or Escape, for now.

I guess if no one answered, no one here knows for sure, just like you. If you read some recent reviews, your answer might be there.

I guess if no one answered, no one here knows for sure, just like you. If you read some recent reviews, your answer might be there.

I'll save you the time. It's not.

... I have never eaten there but I am not offended by a $14.95 charge as if I were to go there and let's say order nachos and a burger than it pays for itself.

Nachos + burger = $13.98 according to a menu someone posted from June.

The specialty in quotes was to just signify that is it a specialty solely because there is a cover. And possibly just slightly better than some free options. I have never eaten there but I am not offended by a $14.95 charge as if I were to go there and let's say order nachos and a burger than it pays for itself. I understand other people's points about well if 2 people go and want to share etc than it's not worth it. And that's why I was saying what is good about freestyle. You have choices and can choose to go or not if you don't think it is worth it. In the end, "

NCL will settle on a method that both makes them money and is agreeable to most passengers. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were all cooperate decisions as to how to get the cruising public to support the cupidity of NCL. The venue name was intented to attract age groups and was at least initaially pair with a marketing of Margaritaville Retirement and resort communities. This relationship started in 2014 on the Escape, and in one article it is clear "Norwegian said it has an exclusive license in the cruise industry with Margaritaville Holdings LLC, which extends to private ports of call it owns or is building in The Bahamas and Belize. Margaritaville Holdings owns the jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville restaurant chain." I recall from some other threads that there may have been some port of call marketing tied to excursions at that time. That is fine with me, but at first, the cruisers got their Cheeseburger in Paridice with a side of Nachos and fritters for free.

At some point one of the parties, one might assume NCL, altered the original arrangement. I don't think there is any cross marketing anymore. What ever the reason the venue became ala carte reflecting the franchises land based prices. Long time Getaway cruisers, the ship I sail on this fall, were not happy with the loss of a free deck top venue even for the free version of Margaritaville. They were quite displeased to find it converted into an up sell venue by NCL. This is easy to understand. [As it is I do not think there is a free grill/pizza venue on the pool deck. ]

Personally, I am not one of them, and I was looking forward to a plate of Nachos and a frozen concoction. That would be one plate for 2 @appx $7. The drinks are a different matter. Now for the privilege of NCL allowing me to sit and do the same thing it will cost us about $35 including gratuities. NCL has limited my options with their upgraded and pricing.

What is most worrying is the overall trend to charge the cruiser for services once considered nominal in the price of the cruise. One example is the room service charge. Also, there are the changes to the costs of the actual specialty restaurants. As I recall the cover for La Cucina was originally $15 or $20. Others can comment, but I think these specialty, ship based, venus have become less flexible and more costly in recent years with the move to Ala Carte prices.

Our questions should be directed to where NCL and other lines might move to increase revenue flow. Why not a fee for eating meals in the MDRs? Perhaps a baggage fee like airlines. Are we still paying a fuel surcharge now that the price of fuel is significantly reduced? One added cost that is already being experimented with is the all inclusive beverage package being included in the cabin cost. I personally will find it hard to accept paying for the drinks consumed by others since I rarely drink. [A margarita a day.... Is that really drinking?clear.png?emoji-wink-1685]

Already you cannot buy a drink package for one. I drink Coke, the DW drinks wine. I never drink wine, and she almost never drinks sodas. However, we cannot have it "freestyle" when it comes to this. We would both have to pay a double tax so the other can be accommodated.

You have choices and can choose to go or not if you don't think it is worth it. In the end,

In the end, it is not about the choice you are being offered, it is about the choices that are being taken away. I assume that Margarittaville will be a quiet zone on my cruise.

This all seems odd to me. This appears to be a reversal of the trend of going from a single cover charge to a la carte pricing in the other specialty restaurants. Also the price point of $14.99, when sandwiches were $3.99-$8.99 (most $6.99), sides were $2.99. If you add dessert, OK another $3.99. Of course, I still remember when Le Bistro was $15 (or did I just dream that?). Anyway, does anyone have (non-Photoshopped) evidence of this new cover charge?

Exactly. That's within $1 of what it would have cost. So basically the same.

The difference is 7.2%. So basically, they're counting on your kind of thinking. After all, $1,072 is "basically the same" as $1,000 by that logic. I don't happen to feel that way, but that's okay.

This all seems odd to me. This appears to be a reversal of the trend of going from a single cover charge to a la carte pricing in the other specialty restaurants. Also the price point of $14.99, when sandwiches were $3.99-$8.99 (most $6.99), sides were $2.99. If you add dessert, OK another $3.99. Of course, I still remember when Le Bistro was $15 (or did I just dream that?). Anyway, does anyone have (non-Photoshopped) evidence of this new cover charge?

Sorry, nothing I can post here. Was reported on a FB page with the new menu which I don't feel comfortable posting without the photographer's permission (she is currently on BA).

The new menu has removed individual plate charges and the bottom of the menu states 14.99$ cover charge pp.

Other BA cruisers have confirmed this on FB. I'm assuming that right now it's only a trial on the BA, and hasn't carried over to GA or Escape at this time.

The difference is 7.2%. So basically, they're counting on your kind of thinking. After all, $1,072 is "basically the same" as $1,000 by that logic. I don't happen to feel that way, but that's okay.

That was just an example. I'm sure there are other combinations of items that can be ordered that would be more than the cover charge. But also prices go up. It's just a fact. Nothing we can do about it. If people do not want to pay the price then NCL will adjust. The market always corrects itself.

Sorry, nothing I can post here. Was reported on a FB page with the new menu which I don't feel comfortable posting without the photographer's permission (she is currently on BA).

The new menu has removed individual plate charges and the bottom of the menu states 14.99$ cover charge pp.

Other BA cruisers have confirmed this on FB. I'm assuming that right now it's only a trial on the BA, and hasn't carried over to GA or Escape at this time.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it there.