Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I would love to know if any one else here sews clothes for their cruise vacation. I like to sew and try to make something new for each cruise. If you do sew, what patterns do you use? Are they for pants, skirts, dresses? What do you make? What kind of fabric do you use?

I used to do a lot of sewing, both mostly stick to repairs and alterations these days. I have a standard sewing machinge, not a serger, and it seems like I can't get the same results considering today's fabrics, hem styles, etc.

I'm curious, do you use a serger? Where do you find things? We have few fabric stores near me anymore, and they are mostly focused on crafts and home decor.

I was thinking that with cotton based sundresses, I could make my daughters a few. However, that calico quilting fabric in the local JoAnn Fabrics is not going to work! :rolleyes:

Yes I have two sergers. I am a snow bird and have a white serger for my winter use. I think it is model 2500. I also have a 910 Husqvarna-viking which I love. I would not want to sew the seams without it. I get most of my fabric at Joanns some at Walmart. But this spring the fabrics are not that great here. I have a lot from last year and before to sew with. I sew simply things that I can wear for our cruises. I do use lots of cotton blends and cotton.

If your daughters are young, have you tried the Tutti Fruitti fabric at Joanns?

Edited by geocruiser

I sew most of my own clothes, and about half of Tom's. I'm not cruising until January though, so I'm not sure what, if anything, I'll make just for the cruise. I have like five ideas for two formal nights, but I'm not sure yet. I'm so tempted by the LiaLia column dress (Vogue 1305) in a glittery sheer knit, but the stretch runs the same direction as the stripes, and I'm short, so I'm not sure. I also have some hand painted silk chiffon from Thai Silks that I am utterly in love with, but torn on using it as an overlay for Vogue 1302 or keeping it for something that I'll actually wear more than once.

I prefer dresses in the summer because they're easier, both to sew and to accessorize. I'm debating another Vogue 1244. I already have two, and the rayon version is either what I'm wearing or it's in the laundry. I'm torn though- do I really need to wear the same dress three times in as many days? McCall's 6520 in a modified view A was my last disaster. I thought the view looked awkward because they used too heavy a knit- nope, it's just awkward. I'm also one of a very few people that hates Vogue 1250- it just makes me look like I have a gut, when I don't really.

I love Christine Jonson patterns for pants, but we're going Southern Caribbean, so I mostly just refuse to take them (besides, I have two pairs of nylon pants from two years ago if I decide I'm doing something that requires pants).

I am making the Burda saress knock off, but mostly to use up some nasty poly knits that I know I'll never wear as any kind of shirt.

I know I'll wear my Simplicity 2603 waterfall cardigan on the plane. I love that I can wear it normally if it's just normal-AC cold, with both sides wrapped around me if we're waiting on the shuttle, or just one side if I'm just a little cold. I've used it on a blanket for Tom and I both on a flight as well, and always wear it when we're driving to visit my folks (Tom is a human furnace- he'll be in a long sleeved t-shirt, not quite sweating and I'll be wrapped up!).

Fabric-wise, I love linen, and I am sooo tempted by the linen knits at Michael Levine, but haven't bought yet. I'm also concerned about the irons on the ship- I know my iron, I trust the temps to be what I expect, but theirs, not so much.

Are you on PatternReview? I know I've seen a few names I recognize from over there here.

I sew most of my own clothes, and about half of Tom's. I'm not cruising until January though, so I'm not sure what, if anything, I'll make just for the cruise. I have like five ideas for two formal nights, but I'm not sure yet. I'm so tempted by the LiaLia column dress (Vogue 1305) in a glittery sheer knit, but the stretch runs the same direction as the stripes, and I'm short, so I'm not sure. I also have some hand painted silk chiffon from Thai Silks that I am utterly in love with, but torn on using it as an overlay for Vogue 1302 or keeping it for something that I'll actually wear more than once.

I prefer dresses in the summer because they're easier, both to sew and to accessorize. I'm debating another Vogue 1244. I already have two, and the rayon version is either what I'm wearing or it's in the laundry. I'm torn though- do I really need to wear the same dress three times in as many days? McCall's 6520 in a modified view A was my last disaster. I thought the view looked awkward because they used too heavy a knit- nope, it's just awkward. I'm also one of a very few people that hates Vogue 1250- it just makes me look like I have a gut, when I don't really.

I love Christine Jonson patterns for pants, but we're going Southern Caribbean, so I mostly just refuse to take them (besides, I have two pairs of nylon pants from two years ago if I decide I'm doing something that requires pants).

I am making the Burda saress knock off, but mostly to use up some nasty poly knits that I know I'll never wear as any kind of shirt.

I know I'll wear my Simplicity 2603 waterfall cardigan on the plane. I love that I can wear it normally if it's just normal-AC cold, with both sides wrapped around me if we're waiting on the shuttle, or just one side if I'm just a little cold. I've used it on a blanket for Tom and I both on a flight as well, and always wear it when we're driving to visit my folks (Tom is a human furnace- he'll be in a long sleeved t-shirt, not quite sweating and I'll be wrapped up!).

Fabric-wise, I love linen, and I am sooo tempted by the linen knits at Michael Levine, but haven't bought yet. I'm also concerned about the irons on the ship- I know my iron, I trust the temps to be what I expect, but theirs, not so much.

Are you on PatternReview? I know I've seen a few names I recognize from over there here.

Wow, You do lots of sewing. I still do easy things. I am going to branch out this summer and do some formal cruise wear. All my sewing is for warm weather. I started to sew about 10 years ago. The first 6 or 7 yeays were doing home stuff. I will not do another pinch pleat drape--never! I had my full of window treatments, bed spreads and pillows. So now I am trying to do easy skirts, pants and dresses.

I love to sew but most of mine is basic stuff - I don't have time to get too complicated. I hadn't thought about sewing for my cruise but you've got me thinking about it! :) The only problem that I have is that fabric has gotten so expensive that sometimes it's not really worth the time and money to sew when you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

I would love to sew a few simple dresses for the cruise so I've been searching for patterns. I love this one from Kwik Sew (3703) - short version. I think it's even easy enough for me - no sleeves, zippers, etc. :)

3703.jpg

I like to sew but don't make it a priority. I haven't sewn for cruises but probably should because I prefer skirts to shorts, and can never find skirts I like. I buy A-line skirts from Boden and am now in the middle of modifying a pattern to make my own version. Their skirts are fun cotton prints, and usually lined with cotton. I am not planning to line my skirt, and because they only take about 1.5 meters of fabric, they shouldn't be expensive to make.

I'm curious, do you use a serger? Where do you find things? We have few fabric stores near me anymore, and they are mostly focused on crafts and home decor.

Laura - I do have a Bernina serger and love it. I bought it primarily for making window treatments but do use it for knits ... it is so much easier and faster than using the regular machine. I also have a Brother electronic machine and am really happy with it - especially with the self-threading needle!

I buy my fabric at Hancocks (JoAnn's is miles and miles away), but if I find that I'm happy with the skirt pattern I will probably venture down to the "good" fabric store here in Atlanta for some more interesting choices. I used to shop at JoAnn's when we lived elsewhere and they did have some nicer fabrics, but sometimes all of the novelty fabrics and fleece overtake the store. I have ordered fabric from a couple of places online, but prefer to touch it and see if it feels right. I used to buy some fabric from Walmart but found that when I compared the same fabric/pattern between Walmart and a fabric store, the one from Walmart felt cheaper and the dye quality wasn't as good.

If I were to make something I'd probably try something in terry ... it's forgiving, easy to work with and you usually don't have to fit. My problem is that I'm too impatient to spend time fiddling with the patterns to make things fit right.

I love to sew but most of mine is basic stuff - I don't have time to get too complicated. I hadn't thought about sewing for my cruise but you've got me thinking about it! :) The only problem that I have is that fabric has gotten so expensive that sometimes it's not really worth the time and money to sew when you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

I would love to sew a few simple dresses for the cruise so I've been searching for patterns. I love this one from Kwik Sew (3703) - short version. I think it's even easy enough for me - no sleeves, zippers, etc. :)

3703.jpg

Kim - those look like cute dresses. I saw some similar ones today at Sports Authority, and they were $79! I bet you could make those out of swimsuit fabric.

I would love to know if any one else here sews clothes for their cruise vacation. I like to sew and try to make something new for each cruise. If you do sew, what patterns do you use? Are they for pants, skirts, dresses? What do you make? What kind of fabric do you use?

I sew constantly, because I enjoy it and plus it allows me to customize styles to my tastes rather than buying off the rack. I mostly sew dresses, skirts, tops, and jackets -- I find pants trickier to fit, and since I mostly just wear jeans, it's easier to buy those. For my mom's panama cruise, I made her a few silky shells and coordinating fancy overshirts to wear with a black skirt on formal nights. Handbags and shopping bags are fun to make too.

I really prefer to touch fabric before buying it, so I get a lot during the annual local sewing expo, where a lot of vendors from all over bring their fabrics. I've also had good luck with fabric.com -- if you add yourself to their mailing list, you'll get notice of good sales (and they have a lot of them). Buying online, though, I stick to fabric types where I'm pretty confident what the drape and texture will be.

What are you going to make for your next cruise?

3703.jpg

I have found KwikSew patterns very easy to work with. I figure skate, and not being a size 2, have to custom make my dresses. I fit quite nicely between l/xl, so I can custom fit most of the dress tops to the skirts/panty. I use a lot of their stretch patterns.

3703.jpg

I love the pattern. I will have to get it!

Water•Baby,

Like you, I prefer skirts to shorts. I will wear a skirt that I made during the day on the island. I have some skirt patterns that I use over and over again. Elastic is my friend. I do most pants and skirts with an elastic waist. When I get better at sewing I will try harder patterns.

Those look great for a cruise. I especially like that retro dress, very cool!

Those look great for a cruise. I especially like that retro dress, very cool!

The reto dress doesnot have a zipper, so I am thinking it should be easy to do. It is a wrap-a-around. I brought black and white checkered fabric, with red bias tape.

Now to find the time to do it.

I love the pattern. I will have to get it!

I haven't sewn in years but this pattern makes me think about maybe making a few dresses. I wonder if I remember how. :o

I am a beginner/new sewer and I found some fun and easy patterns at Youcanmakethis.com. You buy the pattern online and just print it on your printer in the size you need. You cut it out and the authors give you step by step instructions. I made several items this way and they all turned out really good. I even bought a serger and I made a tunic that looks almost like I bought it.

I sew constantly, because I enjoy it and plus it allows me to customize styles to my tastes rather than buying off the rack. I mostly sew dresses, skirts, tops, and jackets -- I find pants trickier to fit, and since I mostly just wear jeans, it's easier to buy those. For my mom's panama cruise, I made her a few silky shells and coordinating fancy overshirts to wear with a black skirt on formal nights. Handbags and shopping bags are fun to make too.

I really prefer to touch fabric before buying it, so I get a lot during the annual local sewing expo, where a lot of vendors from all over bring their fabrics. I've also had good luck with fabric.com -- if you add yourself to their mailing list, you'll get notice of good sales (and they have a lot of them). Buying online, though, I stick to fabric types where I'm pretty confident what the drape and texture will be.

What are you going to make for your next cruise?

Exactly on your first paragraph, but I absolutely hate Fabric.com. I'm definitely in the minority there, but literally half of every order I've placed has been crap, and I've never felt like I got a great deal on any of it. Service has been good for me though, while others have had problems.

I have a love/hate relationship with Fabricmartfabrics.com. They have great fabrics for the prices, and accurate descriptions, but the customer service is abysmal, and they ship Smartpost and charge $8 for it, and for a $100 order that would have fit into a flat rate box, that was pretty much a bridge too far for me.

GorgeousFabrics.com has a good reputation, nice stuff and they have decent sales. EmmaOneSock is pretty much a rock star customer service wise, but the fabrics are expensive (but still great QPR) though. But I have entirely too much fabric, so I have to get a screaming deal or really love a fabric to buy it, which I haven't seen at either store.

I just placed my first order with http://www.michaelsfabrics.com. He mostly does tailoring/men's dress fabrics from Italy, and is known for quality. They just started an online ordering system within two years, and it's a little noticeable in the pictures (more than half have the "pictures do not do this fabric justice" warning, mostly with the browns, which I think could be a photography issue). I paid less than $8 per yard for Zegna (Loro Piana is one of their mills, and they make Tom Ford's stuff) fabrics, because he's having a 75% off sale. He does at least 50% off once or twice a year, and occasionally has bundles of either shirting or suiting. I hadn't ordered because it doesn't generally fit our lifestyle, but for $4 a yard for Italian cotton pants fabric, I'll buy. I haven't tried a suitcoat, but I have made Tom a camelhair overcoat, and while it took forever, the hand tailoring was interesting.

Elliot Berman is also really good. They have a 50% off sale in April and 25% off at least one or two other times per year. Great quality, great service, annoying website.

Wow, You do lots of sewing. I still do easy things. I am going to branch out this summer and do some formal cruise wear. All my sewing is for warm weather. I started to sew about 10 years ago. The first 6 or 7 yeays were doing home stuff. I will not do another pinch pleat drape--never! I had my full of window treatments, bed spreads and pillows. So now I am trying to do easy skirts, pants and dresses.

They make tape to sew on and pull that will do the pinch pleats for you. Even with that, I hate every part of doing home dec sewing. HATE it. I would rather use a poly cotton duvet cover from Ikea that I have to wash once a week (cats/cat hair) than make one myself.

Water•Baby,

Like you, I prefer skirts to shorts. I will wear a skirt that I made during the day on the island. I have some skirt patterns that I use over and over again. Elastic is my friend. I do most pants and skirts with an elastic waist. When I get better at sewing I will try harder patterns.

If you don't push yourself, you'll never get better. My eyes start to cross when I read sewing instructions that are more than one simple sentence, but I've found tutorials for everything with simple, manageable steps and clear photos (or video) for everything I've wanted to do.

I've only been sewing clothes for two and a half years (sort of- my grandmother sewed a lot so I watched when I was a kid, so I've always known my way around a machine), but a lot of the reason my skills progressed so quickly was because I didn't know enough to realize what I was doing should have been really hard (also, I have the time to do it). Now, a pair of pants with an elastic waist, drawstring, mock fly and no belt loops will get done in like two days rather than a week, but the harder projects aren't insurmountable.

Honestly, the thing that improved my "abilities" was a better machine. I had a EuroPro from Target that was junk to begin with, and getting worse, so I bought a Juki F600. It took sewing from "kind of an interesting, if a little frustrating, hobby" territory, to "Oooh, now what can I make??!!??".

If you had told me three years ago that I would spend that much on a sewing machine, I would have told you you were insane, but it was worth every penny to me.

These are all so cute - and they don't look too hard. Thanks for sharing!

sail7seas,

Once you get started you will back into the swing of sewing. You can wear what you make on your next cruise.

CruisinEars,

I will check out that web site. How do you get the pattern to be large when the printer papper is 8.5 by 11 inches?

Alrana Eris,

Finding time is hard for me too. While I don't work, the day just flys by. For me I am saying to myself that I need to sew to relax.

cocontom,

I tried the tape too. I just don't like making pinch pleats any more.

You are right about needing to push myself. I never take the next step if I don't try.

I have an embroidery machine but don't do much embroidery. My fabrics are to busy to add that to them.

Edited by geocruiser

I don't sew, but I envy all of you who do! I was with a friend recently looking at patterns and saw so many fabulous pieces. If I did know how, I would go nuts with it!

I am a beginner/new sewer and I found some fun and easy patterns at Youcanmakethis.com. You buy the pattern online and just print it on your printer in the size you need. You cut it out and the authors give you step by step instructions. I made several items this way and they all turned out really good. I even bought a serger and I made a tunic that looks almost like I bought it.

sail7seas,

Once you get started you will back into the swing of sewing. You can wear what you make on your next cruise.

CruisinEars,

I will check out that web site. How do you get the pattern to be large when the printer papper is 8.5 by 11 inches?

Alrana Eris,

Finding time is hard for me too. While I don't work, the day just flys by. For me I am saying to myself that I need to sew to relax.

cocontom,

I tried the tape too. I just don't like making pinch pleats any more.

You are right about needing to push myself. I never take the next step if I don't try.

I have an embroidery machine but don't do much embroidery. My fabrics are to busy to add that to them.

I can believe that- I've made long drapes that are flat for the living room (which worked a lot better once I used Steam a Seam before sewing), and window quilts for four windows, and I hated every minute of it.

As for the printed patterns- you have to tape the pages together. I've used a few Lekala patterns, and while the drafting and design is excellent, especially for around $1, it's just not worth it to me unless it's something tiny. Same with the free HotPatterns on Fabric.com. Although my least favorite part of the process is cutting the fabric out, so that may factor in.

I can believe that- I've made long drapes that are flat for the living room (which worked a lot better once I used Steam a Seam before sewing), and window quilts for four windows, and I hated every minute of it.

As for the printed patterns- you have to tape the pages together. I've used a few Lekala patterns, and while the drafting and design is excellent, especially for around $1, it's just not worth it to me unless it's something tiny. Same with the free HotPatterns on Fabric.com. Although my least favorite part of the process is cutting the fabric out, so that may factor in.

Thanks, I thought I would have to tape it together.

Gathina,

It is never to late to try, if you would think that you would like it. I still take lessons now and then. A little at a time was the way I did it, and still have more to go.

Honestly, the thing that improved my "abilities" was a better machine. I had a EuroPro from Target that was junk to begin with, and getting worse, so I bought a Juki F600. It took sewing from "kind of an interesting, if a little frustrating, hobby" territory, to "Oooh, now what can I make??!!??".

If you had told me three years ago that I would spend that much on a sewing machine, I would have told you you were insane, but it was worth every penny to me.

Exactly!

I sewed casually on-and-off for several years, but it wasn't until I bought a really good serger and sewing machine that it became fun.