Otaru, Hakodate, Kushiro must things to see?

Gail & Marty sailing away

Otaru--you can purchase the all-day pass or pay each ride for the bus between port and town.

Hakodate--complimentary shuttles between port and JR station in town.

Kushiro--complimentary shuttles between port and MOO.

Thanks for all this great info , It will be our first time there .See you on the ship . If you have time come to the Meet and Greet ..

Enjoyed reading your wonderful travelog. Thank you so much ROCruiser for sharing.

Not sure what you like to do in each port, but for us we like to walk around town, check out their local markets, and feel the rhythm of the city. Here are some photos of our visits to these cities:

Otaru

Hakodate

Kushiro

Looking forward to meet you on the Volendam.

Enjoyed reading your wonderful travelog. Thank you so much ROCruiser for sharing.

Not sure what you like to do in each port, but for us we like to walk around town, check out their local markets, and feel the rhythm of the city. Here are some photos of our visits to these cities:

Otaru

Hakodate

Kushiro

• 4 weeks later...

Otaru

Hakodate

Kushiro

Thank you for your post. I enjoyed your photos very much.

• 1 year later...

Thank you Helmslady for the information and photos. We are booked with Princess for a Japan/Alaska cruise April 2018, so your information is most thorough and useful...afterall, we can never have too much info!

What are the must things to see in (Otaru 10 to 6pm' date=' Hakodate, 9 to 6pm Kushiro 7 to 4pm in April thanks[/quote']

OTARU

The thing to do in Otaru is to stroll along their iconic canals with all the warehouses renovated into shops and restaurants.

You can catch the nearest "Otaru Stroller's Bus" stop in about 5-10 minutes from where you dock at Katsunai Pier. Buy the day pass from the bus driver and hop on/hop off as you like.

http://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/main/feature/otaru/otaru_sansaku_3_6.pdf

http://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/main/feature/otaru/otaru_sansaku_7_8.pdf

At the canal tourist office, ask them to direct you to the nearby 7-variety soft serve ice cream store featuring unique Hokkaido flavors: grape, green tea, strawberry, melon, milk, lavender, and chocolate.

RO Cruiser - I cannot thank you enough for the level of detail you provide in your blogs. Your clear explanations and multiple photos will be a great help for us when we travel on the Volendam in September. With a very small amount of "baby Japanese" and your directions, I feel confident that I can guide our little group around Kushiro, Hakodate and Kamakura. Doumo Arigatou Gozaima****a!

RO Cruiser - I cannot thank you enough for the level of detail you provide in your blogs. Your clear explanations and multiple photos will be a great help for us when we travel on the Volendam in September. With a very small amount of "baby Japanese" and your directions, I feel confident that I can guide our little group around Kushiro, Hakodate and Kamakura. Doumo Arigatou Gozaima****a!

Thank you so much, Keroppi2011 (cute screen name!) for reading and the kind words. I am glad that my blog is useful to other travelers. Have a wonderful trip and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate and send it this way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

ROCruiser,

Thank you so much for the valuable information of Hakodate. We will be doing Princess' April/May 2018 Yokohama to Alaska cruise. Our Japan ports are Shimizu, Osaka, Sakaiminato, Hakodate, and Muroran. Also Busan (Korea).

Besides Hakodate, have you visited any of the above mentioned ports? If so, can you kindly give some information on those ports?

Thank you!:)

ROCruiser,

Thank you so much for the valuable information of Hakodate. We will be doing Princess' April/May 2018 Yokohama to Alaska cruise. Our Japan ports are Shimizu, Osaka, Sakaiminato, Hakodate, and Muroran. Also Busan (Korea).

Besides Hakodate, have you visited any of the above mentioned ports? If so, can you kindly give some information on those ports?

Thank you!:)

Hi, Chubbypiggy,

Thank you for reading and the kind words. We visited Busan, Korea on our Diamond Princess cruise in 2015 for a few hours. I made some mistakes while in that port but still had a good time there.

Here is the report for that day.

We've been to Osaka twice, not on a cruise, but both times on land tours. Being on a land tour, we really did not have any choices as to where to go and what to do as we were just 'followers'. Here are a few photos of our land tour part in Osaka at the bottom of the page.

Have a wonderful cruise in 2018!

Hi ROCruiser,

Thank you so much for the valuable information!! You write very well and the pictures are very nice.

Four of us will be flying from LAX directly to Haneda airport; we plan to spend 3.5 days pre-cruise. We will be staying at a hotel in Yokohama. I am thinking of 1.5 days in Yokohama and 2 days in Tokyo. Two of us have visited Tokyo 3 times in the past (land tours) but the other two have never visited Japan before. The last time we were in Tokyo was 10+ years ago and I am sure a lot of things have changed. We plan to do DIY as much as we can on the 6 ports. I am responsible for the planning, so a handle of researches waiting for me. :D

Hi ROCruiser,

Thank you so much for the valuable information!! You write very well and the pictures are very nice.

Four of us will be flying from LAX directly to Haneda airport; we plan to spend 3.5 days pre-cruise. We will be staying at a hotel in Yokohama. I am thinking of 1.5 days in Yokohama and 2 days in Tokyo. Two of us have visited Tokyo 3 times in the past (land tours) but the other two have never visited Japan before. The last time we were in Tokyo was 10+ years ago and I am sure a lot of things have changed. We plan to do DIY as much as we can on the 6 ports. I am responsible for the planning, so a handle of researches waiting for me. :D

Planning is half the fun, isn't it! I am sure you will have a wonderful time in Japan. I will go again in a heartbeat. What's nice about it is that the ports are so easy to navigate and it's great to DIY. Let me know if you have any questions. I am not a Japan expert in any way but I will try my best to answer. We fell in love with Yokohama and hopefully we will go back soon.

Planning is half the fun, isn't it! I am sure you will have a wonderful time in Japan. I will go again in a heartbeat. What's nice about it is that the ports are so easy to navigate and it's great to DIY. Let me know if you have any questions. I am not a Japan expert in any way but I will try my best to answer. We fell in love with Yokohama and hopefully we will go back soon.

I am currently planning for my annual Nov. trip to HK and Guangzhou. After I return from that trip, then I will start my plan for my Japan cruise. Thank you in advance for your offer to answer my questions.:)