Question on using Viking for Airline arrangements

marmom18

In a little more than six months I will be taking the Viking Star from Barcelona to Bergen. I haven't arranged my airline reservations because I wasn't sure when I would be arriving in Barcelona. I've made the decision now the question is should I go through Viking or arrange on my own?

How hard is it to fly out of Bergen?

I have found that the best way to learn about flights for a given itinerary is to see what the travel websites show for possible flight plans. It gives me a good idea of what is available and helps me decide if I should let Viking route me or book my own flights.

Bergen is a small airport and has no direct flights to the US, so you will have to connect through an international hub.

If you book your air arrangements through Viking, you will have to take what they give you because as sitraveler said, there is no custom air available for cruises that embark or disembark in Bergen. Because of this, some people choose to book their own flights--especially if they want to fly any of the premium classes.

We were booked on Into the Midnight Sun in June of next year. We used Viking to make the air arrangements. I became wary of the lack of a way to get back from Bergen and started to check on making my own reservations. The lack of options was alarming. We advised Viking that we were thinking of cancelling the cruise under the cancel for any reason guarantee. Viking arranged to have Viking Custom Air make us reservations (even though they say you can't from Bergen). None of the return, or for that matter the flight from Houston to Bergen, could be done without 3 changes or a 24 hour layover at Heathrow. We cancelled the cruise. We switched our booking to In the Wake of the Vikings and are booking our own air. We can get from Austin to Bergen or Houston to Bergen, just don't try to come home from there. Montreal is a no brainer to get home from. Just my two cents...

If you have flexibility with time at the end of the cruise, you could take the very scenic train ride from Bergen to Oslo. Oslo has much better air options than Bergen. But you would have to book this on your own.

Actually this isn't quite true. Viking does offer a deviation into or out of Oslo. There is a $100 deviation fee and you still can't use the custom air option but they will allow you to fly to or from Oslo instead of Bergen if you want to use their air. We had initially planned to do this but ended up booking our own air into Oslo.

Actually this isn't quite true. Viking does offer a deviation into or out of Oslo. There is a $100 deviation fee and you still can't use the custom air option but they will allow you to fly to or from Oslo instead of Bergen if you want to use their air. We had initially planned to do this but ended up booking our own air into Oslo.

But do they get you to Oslo or do you have to figure that out on your own?

Does that mean you have to pay the $100 but you don't get any say over the flights? Sorry, IMO that is not an option.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

But do they get you to Oslo or do you have to figure that out on your own?

You arrange the transport from Oslo to Bergen (or vice versa) on your own. We wanted to fly into Oslo a few days early precruise and take the train to Bergen (we are going Bergen to Greenwich). We had initially planned to use Viking Air because the price looked pretty good and we aren't terribly picky about flights. But In the end we found a quick sale that had premium economy seats at good times on an airline we liked for just a little more than Viking wanted for regular economy seats so we booked our own air...

But just wanted to make sure it was clear that the option was there to fly into or out of Oslo instead of Bergen with Viking Air (I didn't say it was the best option...just that it was an option!)

• 1 month later...

You also must pay $50 custom air which always allows you choose the flights VIKING will book (assuming VIKING has a relationship with your chosen airline). The deviation fee is per flight, so the cost is an added $150-250.

So I'm curious: We're on a cruise that goes London to Bergen. Can we purchase Air Plus from Viking for the trip to London (only)? I'm guessing Viking will book us on the 1 PM Icelandair flight out of Bergen (and then another flight from Iceland, of course), but I'm curious if they typically mix carrier flights on their non-Air Plus, randomly assigned flights. In other words, do they typically book you round trip on the same airline unless you request Air Plus and want to fly something else? We have flown Icelandair before to Europe and it wasn't bad, but some added flexibility might be worth $50 pp. (Do you only pay the $50 per person per segment fee after you find something you want to accept, or do you have to pay the fee before you start exploring options with the air department?)

I forget: Can you specify a particular home airport in those areas where there are multiple airports? For example, we prefer Baltimore but can also fly out of Washington Dulles or Washington National.

Edited by roothy123
add something

Roothy,

The $50 is to explore your options with Air Plus. Then, if you choose flights that are more expensive than their "cost", you also have to pay the difference. For example, I had chosen flights for our Tulips cruise. I wanted the N/S Delta Detroit to Amsterdam. There would be no extra charge going, but coming home they wanted us to take an Air France flight with a stop in Paris. Ugh! The Delta N/S was about $90 more pp. I knew what my cost was and since with Viking it included the transfers, I went with them, because even with the extra $90 pp, I was still saving about $100 pp.

Becki

So I'm curious: We're on a cruise that goes London to Bergen. Can we purchase Air Plus from Viking for the trip to London (only)? I'm guessing Viking will book us on the 1 PM Icelandair flight out of Bergen (and then another flight from Iceland, of course), but I'm curious if they typically mix carrier flights on their non-Air Plus, randomly assigned flights. In other words, do they typically book you round trip on the same airline unless you request Air Plus and want to fly something else? We have flown Icelandair before to Europe and it wasn't bad, but some added flexibility might be worth $50 pp. (Do you only pay the $50 per person per segment fee after you find something you want to accept, or do you have to pay the fee before you start exploring options with the air department?)

I forget: Can you specify a particular home airport in those areas where there are multiple airports? For example, we prefer Baltimore but can also fly out of Washington Dulles or Washington National.

The $50 fee is, as stated, for access to Vikings custom air dept. You will then have the ability to ask for the scheduled flights that you prefer. Your own research will indicate what flights are more expensive, so if you don't want to incur additional cost, stick to the less expensive fares. You also are confirmed & ticketed immeduately which is a bonus for seat selection or upgrades.

Without air plus, don't assume any flight or airport options. Your ticket will be generated by a computer closer to departure. The fare will be among the least expensive offered at the time, and the flight may not be nonstop and/or may have a long inconvenient layover. Once you receive your travel documents, your flight will be ticketed and can not be changed.

Also when you disembark the cruise, your transfer will always be hours before the flight to allow sufficient time for traffic, checkin & security; 9am flights can require you to put your bags out at 4am for a 5am transfer. A 7am flight provides a sleepless night. Personally, paying a little extra to insure a better long-hawl flight makes me a big fan of the $50 program. I have used it every time.

Edited by MURPHY27
Spelling

Thanks for th explantion about custom Air witth Viking.

We plan to use it when flights are posted for travel in Arpil 2018!

We also want to travel two days pecruise and two days post cruise and explore these ports cities.

Thanks for th explantio about custom Air witth Viking.

We plan to use it when flights are posted for travel in Arpil 2018!

We also want to travel two days pecruise and two days post cruise and explore these ports cities.

Becki,

We plan to do our own transfers to and from the ship.

I know we also will incur a deviation fee which you and others have said is $100.

Our TA's perk is he will pay all of our fees to get the air fare dates and connection times that we want with Viking Custom Air. That will be $150.00 pp.

Even if we have to pay more than the Viking fare of $599 pp for air we got when we booked,it will still be cheaper than what I paid for airfare roundtrip to Barcelona in 2016.

We will be on a Transatlantic sailing, from San Juan to Barcelona in 2018.

I have been to Barcelona, and will plan another day tour that will pick us up with our bags up at the ship , do a tour, and then drop us at our hotel.

I will see if others on my roll call will want to join us as we get closer to our sail dates.

Roothy,

The $50 is to explore your options with Air Plus. Then, if you choose flights that are more expensive than their "cost", you also have to pay the difference. For example, I had chosen flights for our Tulips cruise. I wanted the N/S Delta Detroit to Amsterdam. There would be no extra charge going, but coming home they wanted us to take an Air France flight with a stop in Paris. Ugh! The Delta N/S was about $90 more pp. I knew what my cost was and since with Viking it included the transfers, I went with them, because even with the extra $90 pp, I was still saving about $100 pp.

Becki

In addition, if you then deviate from arriving on Day 1 or departing on the last day of your cruise (including pre- or post-cruise extensions), you will incur a deviation fee and lose your transfers.

Thanks to those who responded to me. I've done my "homework" and Viking's price isn't a lot less than what I could get using Icelandair, which looks to be the worst option I could get for London, but decent for Bergen. (Yes, I know I could get just about any pair of flights.) However, with Icelandair, we'd be changing planes in Reykjavik (middle of trip), so I don't think I'd get much sleep. It's bad enough trying to sleep on a non-stop flight to Europe; I really don't want to make things even worse.

I'm planning to call Viking Air today to discuss what's available with Air Plus, but in the mean time, these are my questions:

1. I can choose to "not use" Viking arranged air up until final payment or some other time, right?

2. It's probably unlikely, but if I then ask for Air Plus and don't find the options right for my situation, I can just say no and they won't charge me for Air Plus, right?

3. About how long is that scenic train ride to Oslo, Jazzbeau? It's tempting me, as is staying in Reykjavik for a day on the way back from Bergen.....

4. Has anyone ever gotten a daytime flight overseas using Viking's regular air? There are a few, and I don't think I want those.

Becki,

We plan to do our own transfers to and from the ship.

I know we also will incur a deviation fee which you and others have said is $100.

Our TA's perk is he will pay all of our fees to get the air fare dates and connection times that we want with Viking Custom Air. That will be $150.00 pp.

Even if we have to pay more than the Viking fare of $599 pp for air we got when we booked,it will still be cheaper than what I paid for airfare roundtrip to Barcelona in 2016.

We will be on a Transatlantic sailing, from San Juan to Barcelona in 2018.

I have been to Barcelona, and will plan another day tour that will pick us up with our bags up at the ship , do a tour, and then drop us at our hotel.

I will see if others on my roll call will want to join us as we get closer to our sail dates.

Ann,

Sounds like a great plan!

We loved Barcelona! Wished we had more time there.

Becki

Thanks to those who responded to me. I've done my "homework" and Viking's price isn't a lot less than what I could get using Icelandair, which looks to be the worst option I could get for London, but decent for Bergen. (Yes, I know I could get just about any pair of flights.) However, with Icelandair, we'd be changing planes in Reykjavik (middle of trip), so I don't think I'd get much sleep. It's bad enough trying to sleep on a non-stop flight to Europe; I really don't want to make things even worse.

I'm planning to call Viking Air today to discuss what's available with Air Plus, but in the mean time, these are my questions:

1. I can choose to "not use" Viking arranged air up until final payment or some other time, right?

2. It's probably unlikely, but if I then ask for Air Plus and don't find the options right for my situation, I can just say no and they won't charge me for Air Plus, right?

3. About how long is that scenic train ride to Oslo, Jazzbeau? It's tempting me, as is staying in Reykjavik for a day on the way back from Bergen.....

4. Has anyone ever gotten a daytime flight overseas using Viking's regular air? There are a few, and I don't think I want those.

Roothy,

I can answer #1. We have in the past booked our Viking cruises with Viking Air so we would have it and our transfers and then continued to shop around. You can cancel the Viking Air as long as they haven't booked the air, and that is typically 70-90 days before the cruise. I don't like to push it that close, so if I find a good price, I will go ahead and book it and then notify my TA to cancel the Viking Air.

Becki

Roothy, ask Viking directly when the cut off date is for changing your mind about using Viking air. You want to make sure that you have accurate information and only Viking can speak for Viking. I mean, what if we get it wrong?

The Air Plus fee is non-refundable. However, you only have to pay the first 3 times you use it; after that it is free. I don't mind paying the fee; it helps to keep those who are just shopping for information from clogging up the phone lines.