Dunedin, NZ - Speights Brewery Tour

I booked directly with the brewery on their website.

It is just a few blocks from the Octagon where the shuttle buses drop you off.

Did the Cadbury factory, then walked to the brewery.

It was my 2nd time to Dunedin, so was easy to just do on my own.

Did it on our own last year. Booked directly as well and we really enjoyed the tour and the pours at the end. I would recommend that you book directly and in advance.

Dunedin is a very charming artsy town. We also did an outdoors art walk (on our own) of graffiti style art, some hidden, by famous artists. When we got off the shuttle there were town representatives that had detailed brochures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a pity I had to go to work while in Dunedin last month. It was my first time there. Excursions sound far more interesting [emoji6]

I enjoyed walking around the city and even getting a little lost. Highly recommend it if you get time between tours.

It's definitely doable to organise your own plans for there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a pity I had to go to work while in Dunedin last month. It was my first time there. Excursions sound far more interesting [emoji6]

I enjoyed walking around the city and even getting a little lost. Highly recommend it if you get time between tours.

It's definitely doable to organise your own plans for there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know if getting lost in Dunedin is the best way to spend time between tours.:p

We booked directly with their web site, really easy, but do it before you go they fill up quickly. The tasting after the tour is very generous! We had a great time.

Don't do the ships tour, we were there at the same time as a ship tour came in and they rushed them around in about an hour with a quick tasting and then back on the bus to go somewhere else.

We were there for a very pleasant 3 hours.

Cheers:)

We booked directly with their web site, really easy, but do it before you go they fill up quickly. The tasting after the tour is very generous! We had a great time.

Don't do the ships tour, we were there at the same time as a ship tour came in and they rushed them around in about an hour with a quick tasting and then back on the bus to go somewhere else.

We were there for a very pleasant 3 hours.

Cheers:)

Have had many a good tasting that lasts well over an hour after the tour. Normally very generous with the amounts and the variety.:D

We did Speights a couple of years ago ourselves. Was easy to arrange and easy to get to from where the shuttle bus dropped us.

Trying to get to the Cadbury factory on our upcoming Ovation cruise. Tried booking online for the 3rd Jan when we are there ($22 NZ) but cant book that date. Dates either side are available but of course that doesn't help. The equivalent ships excursions, and there are multiple to Cadbury's listed @ $55USD, must be all sold out as it says they cant be booked online.

Wondering if the ship has booked them out completely for the day. Might take our chances and just turn up on the day though.

We did Speights a couple of years ago ourselves. Was easy to arrange and easy to get to from where the shuttle bus dropped us.

Trying to get to the Cadbury factory on our upcoming Ovation cruise. Tried booking online for the 3rd Jan when we are there ($22 NZ) but cant book that date. Dates either side are available but of course that doesn't help. The equivalent ships excursions, and there are multiple to Cadbury's listed @ $55USD, must be all sold out as it says they cant be booked online.

Wondering if the ship has booked them out completely for the day. Might take our chances and just turn up on the day though.

We gave them a call prior to our cruise to check availability, very friendly mob over there must be all the chocolate :) Anyway a quick call across the ditch will soon tell you if they can fit you in or if you should be planning something else.

I suspect the ship has booked them out. With that number of passengers onboard they probably have to book everything to maximum capacity. Ovation is so much bigger than most ships that cruise NZ.

We gave them a call prior to our cruise to check availability, very friendly mob over there must be all the chocolate :) Anyway a quick call across the ditch will soon tell you if they can fit you in or if you should be planning something else.

Agreed, if you ate that keen to get into the factory, give them a call.:D

• 6 months later...

We are going to be in Dunedin for 2 days on our cruise. Based on the available ship excursions and what I have found out about Dunedin, I can't figure out why we have 2 days there. Am I missing something?

DON

I'm looking at doing both the Cadbury factory and Brewry in November. Do you need to book the shuttle or do thay just run and intervals from the cruise ship into Dunedin. Do they usually charge to use the shuttle? Planning on organising this myself as the ship prices are rediculous.

We are going to be in Dunedin for 2 days on our cruise. Based on the available ship excursions and what I have found out about Dunedin, I can't figure out why we have 2 days there. Am I missing something?

DON

You sure are! The aforementioned Speights Brewery tour is excellent. Also the Taieri Gorge scenic train booked through local company Good Company Tours.

Opposite the train station is the Settlers museum in the old Bus Maintenance Depot. We spent hours in there. Memories of our childhood. Just a fantastic place, and FREE. The HOHO bus takes you from the port and delivers you back later too. Plenty to do over two days for sure.

DON

I suppose some people will like to do the overnight trip to Queenstown and then meet the ship in the Fiordland again.

I'll be there in December on Radiance. I booked the Cadburys tour and Brewery tour on my own directly through their website.

I would have liked to do the scenic train ride, but as it is Boxing day, the train is only running an afternoon train which does not get back in time for our ship.

We did the Speights a couple of years ago,we were on a bus tour and just walked in to enquire and a tour was happening in 10 minutes so a bit lucky there

,it's a must do, the guide was a descendant of the original founder and what he didn't know wasn't worth knowing.

We had more samples than any other brewery tour we had done ( we do one wherever we go) most enjoyable couple of hours

Cheers