Esta needed?

I Sugar

We are flying to Barbados from the UK in March to join Carnival Facination traveling around the Caribbean, St Thomas etc. We have had conflicting information regarding the ESTA. Do we need to get one?

I don't know the answer to that - and you may be aware of the following - but I thought maybe these websites would be a place to start. I would also think Carnival might be able to provide some direction.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

http://www.esta.us/

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

Hello!

You need an ESTA! I did a cruise last year for the Caribbean and had to request it. You are in the United States and in any city where you are, even if you are only a few hours, you will need it

Here you have the ESTA registration link, on the official website you can also do it, but they do not help you. :)

Hello!

You need an ESTA! I did a cruise last year for the Caribbean and had to request it. You are in the United States and in any city where you are, even if you are only a few hours, you will need it

Here you have the ESTA registration link, on the official website you can also do it, but they do not help you. :)

That is not the official US government website for applying for ESTA!! It's the site of a private organization, who knows with what affiliation. Never, ever use anything but the official US government site to apply for ESTA. Private sites may steal your data or charge you unnecessary fees !

Here's the correct link to the official US government application site:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

Remember though, they are valid for 2 years so if you want to go to USA within that timescale you don't need to reapply

if I recall correctly there were posts about people being caught out by using the incorrect site. I think an ESTA is only about $15

Remember though, they are valid for 2 years so if you want to go to USA within that timescale you don't need to reapply

if I recall correctly there were posts about people being caught out by using the incorrect site. I think an ESTA is only about $15

Yes...US $14 to be precise.

That is not the official US government website for applying for ESTA!! It's the site of a private organization, who knows with what affiliation. Never, ever use anything but the official US government site to apply for ESTA. Private sites may steal your data or charge you unnecessary fees !

Here's the correct link to the official US government application site:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

Yes, like other non-govt websites it will certainly charge you a fat and unnecessary handling fee.

So definitely apply using nj's link ( https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html ) to the US Border agency's website.

Your ESTA is good for two years after approval.

Do apply at least a couple of weeks ahead - theoretically it takes 24 hours or less, but some glitch - eg a felon with the same name - can delay approval.

Unless the application form has changed recently, it asks for your address in the US.

Put "Carnival Fascination cruise ship".

If you travel to the US again during the lifetime of your ESTA there's no need to update that address - which kinda makes a nonsense of being asked for an address in the first place. :rolleyes:

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, like other non-govt websites it will certainly charge you a fat and unnecessary handling fee.

So definitely apply using nj's link ( https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html ) to the US Border agency's website.

Your ESTA is good for two years after approval.

Do apply at least a couple of weeks ahead - theoretically it takes 24 hours or less, but some glitch - eg a felon with the same name - can delay approval.

Unless the application form has changed recently, it asks for your address in the US.

Put "Carnival Fascination cruise ship".

If you travel to the US again during the lifetime of your ESTA there's no need to update that address - which kinda makes a nonsense of being asked for an address in the first place. :rolleyes:

JB :)

That was really helpful - thanks - I need a new esta and am going on our 1st cruise from Southampton and will be calling at US island ending in Orlando - didn't have a clue what address to put!!! Thanks again - Sue

• 1 month later...
That was really helpful - thanks - I need a new esta and am going on our 1st cruise from Southampton and will be calling at US island ending in Orlando - didn't have a clue what address to put!!! Thanks again - Sue

Unless you are staying in the US after your cruise, you can also select "yes" to the question "Is your travel to the US occurring in transit to another country?" and then won't need to enter an address. If you are staying in Orlando put the hotel address.

Are you on the IOS transatlantic? If so, you will need your ESTA to board in Southampton (printed!!) but - unless things have changed since last October, which I doubt - St. Thomas will not be able to process your ESTA, you get the old fashioned paper I94 forms to fill out before you arrive in St. Thomas and then get in line on board to see the immigration officers, as they do not have computers all they will do is stamp your passport and check your I94 (if even). No additional immigration in Fort Lauderdale (they will look at your passport but that's it). So you do need to have ESTA approved for RCCL to allow you on board but as long as it has been approved nobody will care which address you listed (I still use my ex host family's address in Ohio if I don't know what to put, because it's the only US address I know by heart).

Do not make any plans for St. Thomas. Last year the last non-US passengers were allowed off the ship around 3 pm, if I remember correctly. Either book a ship excursion (will automatically get you a #1 for immigration) or go with the flow, there will be delays and more likely than not the cafe promenade will run out of coffee... or snacks... or hot water...

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate your concerns. But I think Esta is very helpful specially those who want to go to other countries. This is what my brother told me the last time.

This is very helpful to my brother in processing his visa and passport. Kindly check if this can help you too estavisa [dot] com [dot au