I know nothing...

SeaBunny

...about Tahiti and the Society Islands or Paul Gauguin.

And we're cruising in a month!:eek:

I have to get on excursion plans faster than fast. We've gotten where we don't do ship excursions much any more (are PG's better than most, or the same?). Are there options (or is it viable) to rent a car or book things directly/locally?

Also, I'm not even clear about PG beach events. Where and when?

I'm hoping for some fast track help on this thread that I can use to blaze ahead. I certainly need informed advice!

Much tthanks to everyone in advance.

I agree with Wendy take the ship's excursions. What is your itinerary? We will all agree that you will have a great time. The ship's crew is wonderful and friendly. Be sure to dine with others. For the most part the passengers are interesting, chatty and not too full of themselves!

The PG was our very first cruise ever and set the standard for us! We then cruised with other lines but found the PG to be what we were looking for: good service, friendly crew and good food. We will embark on our 9th PG cruise in June.

The ship is small and doesn't have all the bells and whistles that larger ships have but they have HEART!

Be sure to enjoy the Gauguines both formally and informally. You will learn a lot about French Polynesia. If Mark Eddowes is on board go to his lectures.

Relax and enjoy your trip!

Can someone explain about the private beaches?

I understand there is a beach day on Taha'a. Then I read something about a private beach at Bora Bora but it was vague.

Is there transport to the Bora Bora beach? Facilities? Charges?

What's the beach day at Taha'a like?

If this information is on the PG website, I apologize. I'm finding that site to be pretty clunky.

Can someone explain about the private beaches?

I understand there is a beach day on Taha'a. Then I read something about a private beach at Bora Bora but it was vague.

Is there transport to the Bora Bora beach? Facilities? Charges?

What's the beach day at Taha'a like?

If this information is on the PG website, I apologize. I'm finding that site to be pretty clunky.

Yes it is all on the PG website ...

https://www.pgcruises.com/ms-paul-gauguin/whats-included

https://www.pgcruises.com/private-beaches/motu-mahana

All included ......... yes transportation is provide

Speaking of private beaches, where exactly are we supposed to put our personal items? Should we be planning on carrying these items with us when doing water activities? I just want to be prepared. Thanks for info or suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You carry your own stuff, we always have a water bag with us. We've never had a problem with anything missing.

You should bring a beach bag, that's all. You'll pick a pair of chairs where you wish to sit and just plunk your stuff down. It's a chummy group, nobody's going to take your stuff. Beach towels provided by the ship as well as snorkel gear.

BB is different. It's just a beautiful beach. No chairs or facilities. Like a desert island. A small tender will take you there.

Wet landings in both cases--take water shoes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The motu at Taha'a is spectacular. Take an early tender and find a lounge chair you like. There are more than enough chairs. There will be a floating bar as well as a bar on the motu. They serve a picnic style lunch with salads, hot dogs, burgers, fruit, etc. Everything is included as well as the open bar and drinks served in coconuts. Simply bring your towel, sunscreen, and snorkel gear. They will have kayaks there for your use as well.

The Bora Bora motu has very little infrastructure and is 30 minutes from the ship via tender. Again, bring the same stuff. While the Bora Bora motu is beautiful the lack of chairs meant that we will skip it next time. On Bora Bora you can take a $5 shuttle from the pier to Matira Beach. We have not done this yet but the beach is rated as one of the best in the world.

While private excursions may already be filled I would still try for a couple. On Huahine I would contact Marc to see if he has availability for his lagoon tour and snorkel (or his land/snorkel combo). http://huahine-nautique.com/index.html On Bora Bora we love Pure Snorkeling, a 4 hour or so snorkel trip. http://www.puresnorkeling.com/

The private tours generally have fewer people, are usually less expensive than the ship excursions, and they commonly are longer in duration.

The motu at Taha'a is spectacular. Take an early tender and find a lounge chair you like. There are more than enough chairs. There will be a floating bar as well as a bar on the motu. They serve a picnic style lunch with salads, hot dogs, burgers, fruit, etc. Everything is included as well as the open bar and drinks served in coconuts. Simply bring your towel, sunscreen, and snorkel gear. They will have kayaks there for your use as well. There are some vendors selling vanilla, pearls, etc. so consider bringing some $$.

The Bora Bora motu has very little infrastructure and is 30 minutes from the ship via tender. Again, bring the same stuff. While the Bora Bora motu is beautiful the lack of chairs meant that we will skip it next time. On Bora Bora you can take a $5 shuttle from the pier to Matira Beach. We have not done this yet but the beach is rated as one of the best in the world.

While private excursions may already be filled I would still try for a couple. On Huahine I would contact Marc to see if he has availability for his lagoon tour and snorkel (or his land/snorkel combo). http://huahine-nautique.com/index.html On Bora Bora we love Pure Snorkeling, a 4 hour or so snorkel trip. http://www.puresnorkeling.com/

The private tours generally have fewer people, are usually less expensive than the ship excursions, and they commonly are longer in duration.

The motu at Taha'a is spectacular. Take an early tender and find a lounge chair you like. There are more than enough chairs. There will be a floating bar as well as a bar on the motu. They serve a picnic style lunch with salads, hot dogs, burgers, fruit, etc. Everything is included as well as the open bar and drinks served in coconuts. Simply bring your towel, sunscreen, and snorkel gear. They will have kayaks there for your use as well.

Are you recommending skipping any shore excursions for this stop? It sounds wonderful, so now I'm second guessing my bookings. I would probably prefer a day on the beach over excursions. Unless of course something is a must see.

I'll have to look into that suggestion. Matria Beach has chairs? I'll have to research that beach a bit more. I've also read the snorkeling at the Hilton is better anyway, so the day pass may be worth it.

These islands were never high on my long travel wishlist. This trip happened upon me rather suddenly, which has me researching everything for the best possible experience. That said, I have a feeling my first trip here won't be my last judging by many of the posters in this section.

The motu at Taha'a is spectacular. Take an early tender and find a lounge chair you like. There are more than enough chairs. There will be a floating bar as well as a bar on the motu. They serve a picnic style lunch with salads, hot dogs, burgers, fruit, etc. Everything is included as well as the open bar and drinks served in coconuts. Simply bring your towel, sunscreen, and snorkel gear. They will have kayaks there for your use as well. There are some vendors selling vanilla, pearls, etc. so consider bringing some $$.

are there restrooms on both excursions ?

Oops I've gotten my islands mixed up. The Hilton I'm referring to is actually on Moorea.

FYI, the day at Motu Mahana is wonderful. However, the drift snorkel is a biggie if you love snorkeling. You go at 9:00 in the morning and the vendor delivers you to the Motu around 12 noon when the BBQ and activities kick in.

Drift snorkel is for the experienced snorkeler or lets say a person who can move themselves about on their own in the current. If you can't do that don't take that excursion, seen many who have gotten cut on the coral.

I still don't know much, but -- thanks to all of you (and other helpful CCers) -- I now know more than nothing.Even with our late planning start we were able to reserve a car for the first day on Moorea (we still have nothing planned for the second day-- suggestions?), book a local snorkel excursion on Huahine, and a ship's snorkel excursion for the second day of Bora Bora. We'll probably just take advantage of the beach options on Taha'a and the other (first) day on Bora Bora.

Anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

Again, mega thanks to all!

• 3 months later...

When you get your snorkel equipment at the marina at the beginning of your cruise they put all in a mesh water bag... I think there is enough room in their for a few other odds and ends but not your beach towels as it is a water bag, also they will attach a tag with your cabin number

Seabunny I encourage you strongly not to miss the bora bora motu. Heaven on earth. There is a shack with drinks (nor a full bar but beer, soda, water and punch) plus chips. There will be kayaks, SUP boards and volley ball. Maybe some boule. It is located on same motu as the BB Pearl resort so you may get an idea if the incredible view from their trip advisor pics.

We have been on many PG cruises and always try to go on both days, even if only for a short time.

Seabunny I encourage you strongly not to miss the bora bora motu. Heaven on earth. There is a shack with drinks (nor a full bar but beer, soda, water and punch) plus chips. There will be kayaks, SUP boards and volley ball. Maybe some boule. It is located on same motu as the BB Pearl resort so you may get an idea if the incredible view from their trip advisor pics.

We have been on many PG cruises and always try to go on both days, even if only for a short time.

How do you get to the motto from the ship?