Excursions that you would never want to have missed

johno1234

Thanks Maui. Your list is rather close to what I have been thinking about, but am a bit put off by the price of the Las Caletas. However I have seen only such positive comments about it and maybe should make it a special case.

My youngest is mad about turtles so still thinking about trying to fit something in for him.

Thanks Maui. Your list is rather close to what I have been thinking about, but am a bit put off by the price of the Las Caletas. However I have seen only such positive comments about it and maybe should make it a special case.

My youngest is mad about turtles so still thinking about trying to fit something in for him.

yes, the price is high but the trip is well worth it. We are sailing on the jewel in april and with two kids, my hubby and myself we will be skipping it this year $500-ouch! its a great trip though. If I hadn't been twice before I would bite the bullet but not in the cards this year. If you have time in PV, a day trip to yelapa is fun too.

Rhythm of the Night in PV, the most awesome experience ever! It's Las Caletas for dinner and a show. Fantastic!

In Cabo, Whale watching on the Zodiacs if you there during season. Also the Glass Bottom boats that your the Arches is great. Should be able to that for ten bucks each then take a pedicab around town, beats walking. We did a self guided taco tour this way, great fun.

yes, the price is high but the trip is well worth it. We are sailing on the jewel in april and with two kids, my hubby and myself we will be skipping it this year $500-ouch! its a great trip though. If I hadn't been twice before I would bite the bullet but not in the cards this year. If you have time in PV, a day trip to yelapa is fun too.

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact that I'm also due to be shaken down at Disneyland on the same trip - and that one makes Las Caletas look like an absolute bargain!

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the fact that I'm also due to be shaken down at Disneyland on the same trip - and that one makes Las Caletas look like an absolute bargain!

Yeah you're going to drop some bucks at Disney. Let me throw out a few on-the-cheap options.

Cabo we just walk around town a bit, eat tacos at Tacos Gus, margarita at Monkey Busines, maybe a beer at Captain Tony's then head back to the boat.

Mazatlan follow the blue line outside the port gate to the big square, maybe a 10 minute walk. From there it's about two blocks to the Cahedral, then another two blocks to the Mercado. From there walk ( or hire a pulmonia) back to the water taxi terminal. It's about $2 round trip to Stone Island. Walk down the beach to Lety's and spend rest of the day there.

In PV take the bus (or taxi for about $6-8) to the Malecon. You can wonder around there for most of the day, eating, lounging, shopping, or just laying on the beach.

Rhythm of the Night in PV, the most awesome experience ever! It's Las Caletas for dinner and a show. Fantastic!

In Cabo, Whale watching on the Zodiacs if you there during season. Also the Glass Bottom boats that your the Arches is great. Should be able to that for ten bucks each then take a pedicab around town, beats walking. We did a self guided taco tour this way, great fun.

We rarely book an excursion through the cruise line; however, we did book Rhythm of the Night. It was one of the best shows, I have ever witnessed. Well worth the money. We are on a cruise this port again in March. Sadly, we are not in port long enough to go a second time. A wonder to behold, and the food was good!

• 2 weeks later...

I can highly recommend doing a food tour in PV. We've done Vallarta Food Tours twice. vallartafoodtours.com Highly recommend. Vallarta eats looks good too. vallartaeats.com

Great way to see and eat the town!

Second comments about just walking Cabo and seeing downtown Mazatlan then heading to Stone Island. Shack up at Lety's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our whole family did the Los Veranos canopy tour ziplines in PV. It was really fun - but it is quite a long ride from the port out there and back in their rattly old bus! But they do know the ship schedule and will make sure you are back in time.

I heartily recommend the Vallarta Food Tour. Food was wonderful with everything from street food to fancy restaurants. You eat and see a lot. You just have to take a taxi from the pier. The tour guide helped us get a taxi back.

• 3 weeks later...
The last time we went on the Mexican Riviera cruise in Mazatlan we did the Maria's happy horses. It was inexpensive and we had a great time!! It was $40 per person and it was so much fun riding horses on the beach!!

Was this through the cruise, booked privately in advanced, or just booked when you got into port?

• 4 weeks later...

We've had good excursions almost every time. We've traveled with children so family friendly ones were important to us. A few we've done-

Mazatlan -

*gingers horses, the beach- playa bruja with lunch at Mr Lionso (kids were 5)

Cabo -

*private boat excursion included seeing the landmarks, rock jumping and snorkeling (snorkeling just ok because water was pretty rough that day) swim at medano beach, feed fish (kids were 11 & 2)

*Las caletas - kids were 7 (snorkeling, kid zip line & monkeys)

Puerto Vallarta -

*Marriott casa magna

(Kids were 11 and 2)

* Vallarta adventures dolphin signature swim (kids were 5)

* zip line Vallarta Adventures (kids were 11)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I look into Las Caletas, it says cruise ship passengers can't book it. Is this a situation where the cruise industry has a deal with the resort so you have to book through the ship? Is there a way around that?

When I look into Las Caletas, it says cruise ship passengers can't book it. Is this a situation where the cruise industry has a deal with the resort so you have to book through the ship? Is there a way around that?

Yes, the tour company (Vallarta Adventures) that operates this excursion, as well as others, has a contracted arrangement with the cruise lines. So you have to book this one through the ships, and there isn't a way around this that I'm aware of. Others may chime in here though..

Still, the excursion is worth every penny as far as we're concerned! :)

• 4 weeks later...

For Mazatlán my favorite was a tour of the city by Pulmonia. My son's favorite was the horseback riding on stone island. Maria's Happy Horses if I recall correctly. See my review on Tripadvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k8132068-Off_Cruise_Ship_Jan_22-Mazatlan_Pacific_Coast.html

We hired Freddy just outside of the port where the blue line starts. We had a fair price and he took us every place we (I) wanted to see. Went out and saw some tide pools, stopped at an orphanage that he volunteers at and then he pointed us to a great restaurant (right across from the ferry and within walking of the port). He was actually a transplant from San Diego that married a local girl, so his English was perfect. We bought candy for the orphanage and he went in the grocery store with us to translate. I would not hesitate to book with his again. The nicest Pulmonia in Mazatlán.

• 4 weeks later...

Las Caletas was worth every penny! It was stunningly gorgeous and Vallarta Adventures does an amazing job entertaining both to and from. We did Yelapas and Majahuitas on our next trip and it wasn't nearly as much fun.

In Cabo, it wasn't an excursion but we had the BEST meal at Solomon's Landing just off of the pier. A massive bowl of delicious, fresh ceviche and a cold beer. Heaven!