Why is the heli/dog sledding so expensive???

aislynmae

Just wondering, why is this tour so expensive?

We were in Kauai last summer and did a helicopter tour, it was half the price.

Really want to do the sledding more than the helicopter ride, as I am afraid of heights, but the cart sledding one just doesn't seem as exciting.

Just wondering, why is this tour so expensive?

We were in Kauai last summer and did a helicopter tour, it was half the price.

Really want to do the sledding more than the helicopter ride, as I am afraid of heights, but the cart sledding one just doesn't seem as exciting.

I would imagine it's because you're also paying (indirectly) for the cost of maintaining a sled dog camp on the glacier.

The costs are astronomical. The camps have to be staffed, set up, all the dogs loaded, gear brought in, each dog's tethers have to be set, yurts set up, special food for the dogs- (they aren't eating the dollar store stuff). Kitchens, waste removal is a huge expense. multiple flights involved aircraft, pilots TIME. before there is even any revenue. Then keeping them open all season.

Shouldn't be any big surprise the costs.

My heli/dog sled trip was cancelled last August and it was the excursion I booked first. So we went whale watching instead. Saw lots of whales and it was really good but the dog sled trip was on my bucket list. Don't know if I will make it back up there. Do it if you get the chance too. I understand its a once in a lifetime experience.

• 4 months later...
Looking at doing this. But I'm not finding cost yet. I have started to contact operators. What kind of cost am I looking at?

Costs will be substantially higher if you book through the cruiseline but figure in the ballpark of $600pp.

a) Because they can

b) Because it is seasonal

c) Because they have to cancel many trips because of the weather

d) Because they have to maintain a camp on the glacier

e) Because helicopters cost a lot to run.

DON

AND..because people are willing to pay the price...many people..not me..just not in my budget to spend over $1000 for two people for just two hours or less.

a) Because they can

DON

There are dog sled places that you can access by car. Much cheaper but they're usually on wheels, not snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but clearly not the same tour. A cart ride on dirt- which the "car access" you suggest are never on snow.

a) Because they can

DON

You also want a really top-notch helicopter pilot for flying in the mountains of Alaska!

We know - been there, done that.

You also want a really top-notch helicopter pilot for flying in the mountains of Alaska!

We know - been there, done that.

not to be Debbie Downer, but your pilot will probably be a gypsy that does not live in Alaska. Not really a bad thing as your flight routes are established/routine.

bent there, dent that, got the t-shirt, and certified to instruct. Logged 1500+ hours in fixed wing and rotor wing craft in SE. My contract required that I could only fly in aircraft w/ pilots that were carded (certified) to carry state and federal employees, both required a significant amount of Alaskan experience.

not to be Debbie Downer, but your pilot will probably be a gypsy that does not live in Alaska. Not really a bad thing as your flight routes are established/routine.

bent there, dent that, got the t-shirt, and certified to instruct. Logged 1500+ hours in fixed wing and rotor wing craft in SE. My contract required that I could only fly in aircraft w/ pilots that were carded (certified) to carry state and federal employees, both required a significant amount of Alaskan experience.

Our pilot was an experienced Alaska pilot, flying up there since the 80s supporting the pipeline build, oil platforms, and tourists to fish camps, etc. He flew both fixed wing and helicopters. He and family lived on Douglass Island across from Juneau. (He also flew Army support of DMZ in Korea and was an instructor pilot in Texas during SEA conflict). I knew him since our 'diaper days' in the 40s.

We also lived up there for a number of years (Anchorage). We knew which bush pilots to fly with and which one to skip!.