Lanzarote

Big Foot

Hello,

I am doing a Canaries cruise on Ventura & will be in Lanzarote on Sunday 24th September.

Looking at the list of the P&O tours, none are 'jumping out at me' at present & therefore I wondered a) if anyone had any recommendations or b) is there an option to DIY?

If tried to search for a HOHO bus on line this morning, but the only one I can see runs on Mondays or Wednesdays.

I will be travelling with my Husband (we're both 48) & with my Parents who are 70 & 77 who thankfully are quite mobile.

Any tips / advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Joan

We just love the Manrique Fundacion - we have stayed in Lanzarote several times but never tire of visiting this amazing place. It's only about 2/3 miles from Arrecife (of all the places we've been to in Lanzarote this is where we'd least choose to spend the day so definitely worth heading out imo). You can get a taxi from the port for something like €10 iirc. They're fixed price journeys here and reasonably priced.

The Fundacion was the home of Cesar Manrique who was an artist and sculpture who created some beautiful places from natural features. This started as 5 lava bubbles filled with ash which he had the vision to clear then interconnect to fashion into a unique home. The floor and halfway up the walls are now covered with white painted concrete the upper half of the bubbles being the natural black rugged lava rock. To offset this stark starting point he has furnished it with some amazing works of art. One bubble has a palm tree growing up in the middle and through a hole in the top of the bubble! It's surrounded by circular red leather sofas! There's even a purpose built BBQ area in the lovely garden complete with pool.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Cesar+Manrique+Fundacion+pictures&client=tablet-android-google&prmd=inmv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVmvT3_cjSAhUlCcAKHXhqCu8Q_AUIBygB&biw=960&bih=600

We'd allow up to a couple of hours here - you can get drinks but there's not a dedicated cafe. If you ask them at the kiosk they will phone for a taxi for you - don't think it's on a bus route though you can see the port from there.

We'd then go down to the coast at Costa Teguise for an hour or two. This a pretty resort with nice cafés and you can walk along the promenade for quite a long way too. This again is only about 3 miles from Arrecife. Another taxi ride or last time we caught a local bus back. You might need to confirm the berth (we've berthed in different locations at Arrecife) and research the local bus times but we've found it easy to use them. With four of you though a taxi for approx €10 is probably not much different from the bus fare.

If you go from Arrecife to the Fundacion to Costa Teguise and back to Arrecife you will have done a triangular route with about 2/3 miles between each stop so not far but we think it's a lovely, interesting and varied day.

Hope you enjoy whatever you do.

P. S. Just looked up the Fundacion it is open Sundays

http://fcmanrique.org/casas-museo-visitas/fundacion-cesar-manrique-tahiche/?lang=en

Any tips / advice would be welcomed.

We were in Arrecife last October on a day when three cruise ships were in harbour. The port shuttles seemed to be tipping out near El charco de San Ginés, an attractive lagoon in the centre of Arrecife very close to the main shopping street. There are cafes and bars around the area, many of which have free wifi and were consequently full of passengers catching up with emails.

There may not be much in the way of shopping open as it's a Sunday, but the sea front isn't far away and is nice for a stroll. I'd say it's a reasonable place for DIY poddling around if you decide you don't want to go too far from the ship but I'd certainly second the suggestion of the Fundacion Cesar Manrique if you're happy to get a cab to somewhere unique to Lanzarote.

I would hire a car and drive through the volcanic centre of the island, perhaps stopping off at a bodega or two for a sample of the local wines.

Sorry to disagree with the previous poster, but I would avoid Costa Teguise (and Puerto del Carmen) but would head to Playa Blanca on the south of the island, and have a drink/meal looking across the sea to Fuerteventura.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Our last cruise had Lanzarote on a Su day. We took the huttle then wandered along the front into town. We were early so most places were closed. However towards lunchtime shops etc were beginning to open. There were cafes open all day.

Previously we have taken a local bus along to Puerto del Carmen whee there is a lovely beach.

If you have never been before try an island tour. Drivers are around when you get off.

Hello,<br /> <br /> I am doing a Canaries cruise on Ventura & will be in Lanzarote on Sunday 24th September.<br /> <br /> Looking at the list of the P&O tours, none are 'jumping out at me' at present & therefore I wondered a) if anyone had any recommendations or b) is there an option to DIY?<br /> <br /> If tried to search for a HOHO bus on line this morning, but the only one I can see runs on Mondays or Wednesdays.<br /> <br /> I will be travelling with my Husband (we're both 48) & with my Parents who are 70 & 77 who thankfully are quite mobile.<br /> <br /> Any tips / advice would be welcomed.<br /> <br /> Thank you.<br /> <br /> Joan
<br /> <br /> Cám Æ¡n vì bÃ*i viết hay vÃ* bổ Ã*ch

I would suggest getting away from Arricife, it doesn't have much going for it, the beach is a bit grim. Apparently there's lots of good scenery around once you get away from town.

Get a taxi to Puerto del Carmen or one of the other resorts nearby.Arricife mainly 1 longish street but you usually have a half mile walk from bus drop off to get to centre.

love sailing with RCCL

Playa blanca is nicer but quite a distance away.

love sailing with RCCL

Timanfaya National Park - the "Fire Mountain" is my number 1 memory of Lanzarote. The volcanic scenery as you approach is out of this world, before you even get to experience riding around the caldera, handling hot gravel from just inches below the surface and seeing water turn to jets of steam.

I've also enjoyed "Jameos Del Agua" as well as the "Cesar Manrique Fundacion". The "Mirador Del Rio" is nice - for an hour or so.

It's a case of prioritising, as there are so many fascinating attractions. In fact, we are going there for a week in May (staying on land for a change) to see it all.

Timanfaya National Park - the "Fire Mountain" is my number 1 memory of Lanzarote. The volcanic scenery as you approach is out of this world, before you even get to experience riding around the caldera, handling hot gravel from just inches below the surface and seeing water turn to jets of steam.

I've also enjoyed "Jameos Del Agua" as well as the "Cesar Manrique Fundacion". The "Mirador Del Rio" is nice - for an hour or so.

It's a case of prioritising, as there are so many fascinating attractions. In fact, we are going there for a week in May (staying on land for a change) to see it all.

The beauty of a cruise is you spend a day in different places and then if you find a place you like you can always book an extended holiday there when you get home.

love sailing with RCCL

Hi,

We will be visiting Lanzarote during our Canary Island cruise in July, and would like to visit Playa

Blanca. As it isn't featured in P&Os organised shore excursions and I understand the HoHo bus service has been suspended, how easy would it be timewise to diy

Many thanks

Hi,

We will be visiting Lanzarote during our Canary Island cruise in July, and would like to visit Playa

Blanca. As it isn't featured in P&Os organised shore excursions and I understand the HoHo bus service has been suspended, how easy would it be timewise to diy

Many thanks

Taxi is about £80 return and playa blanca is around 35 km from port about 35 minutes. Puerto del Carmen is about half price and distance. Give yourself plenty of time and agree a price for single or return. Carmen is nice but Playa Blanca is the bigger resort.

love sailing with RCCL

We ... would like to visit Playa Blanca.

Without any clue as to why you want to go it's difficult to give any advice. I've got a couple of timeshare fortnights in Playa Blanca so I'm very much biased towards the place as a holiday destination, but I'm struggling a bit to think of reasons to spend your one day on the island there in preference to the cultural/sightseeing opportunities already mentioned by other people on this thread.

If you are like my wife it is basically to shop.

True, but even in the respectable shops you have to keep your wits about you - last year my wife bought some perfume which we didn't realise was on offer back home at a better price. That's very unusual though: perfumes, spirits and tobacco are genuine bargains compared to regular prices at home.

Camera/electronics shops are another matter entirely, I wouldn't set foot in one in any of the resorts as they've got a terrible reputation for bait-and-switch and other daylight robbery.

Without any clue as to why you want to go it's difficult to give any advice. I've got a couple of timeshare fortnights in Playa Blanca so I'm very much biased towards the place as a holiday destination, but I'm struggling a bit to think of reasons to spend your one day on the island there in preference to the cultural/sightseeing opportunities already mentioned by other people on this thread.

I agree - much as I like Playa Blanca, in my opinion to only go there would be to miss so many interesting sights.

Many thanks for all the helpful advice and suggestions. - the only reason I would like to visit Playa Blanca is because it is often featured on Ch. 4 "A Place in the Sun" and looked to be one of the more attractive resorts on Lanzarote. However since reading various replies have decided to opt for a more cultural experience on the island and have noted the various suggestions.

Thankyou!