Misty Fjords with Island Wings

shesmi

We're planning on doing the Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Island Wings, and our choices are a 1-hour tour with Michelle or a 2-hour tour with Randy. Has anyone done the 1-hour tour? I'm wondering if just an hour will allow enough time so that we'll feel like we've seen everything? Has anyone flown with Randy? I've heard so much about Michelle but nothing about Randy, so I wanted to get any thoughts y'all had that might help us decide which tour to do.

Thanks - we're so looking forward to this trip!!!

Sherri

We flew with Michelle a few years ago. Must've been the 2 hr tour as we landed -somewhere- and were able to get out and walk around a bit. It was an amazing trip. Randy wasn't an option when we went and one thing I really liked was that she made a point on her web site (or reviewers did) that she didn't hire summer "help". It was her own plane, etc etc. But I'm sure she wouldn't hire someone she didn't trust and have every confidence in. You'll have a great trip no matter which you choose.

Thanks for your help; I'm sure y'all are correct! I know this is impossible to answer, but after having done a 2-hour tour, does a 1-hour tour seem like it would be long enough? I know, I'm overthinking it, but hubby wants to take the shorter one and save money, and I want to see and do "everything" LOL. There's no easy answer to that dilemma I guess.

I think I read That Randy did the 2 hour trips, but I could be wrong. We also just booked the two hour trip and it will be Randy. But I am sure he will be great.

And Shesmi- the 2 hour does have a half hour on the ground mid flight so it is really 1 1/2 flight- if that is any help.

I think I read That Randy did the 2 hour trips, but I could be wrong. We also just booked the two hour trip and it will be Randy. But I am sure he will be great.

And Shesmi- the 2 hour does have a half hour on the ground mid flight so it is really 1 1/2 flight- if that is any help.

Thanks, that does actually help to think of it that way, only actually missing 1/2 hour flight time. We're going to book with Michelle for the 1-hour flight, mostly because I had my heart set on flying with her for a long time, and that kind of makes up for losing out on the ground portion (I hope).

I did some digging and found Randy is the owner of Mountain Air and has run flightseeing tours for a long time.... I found a lot of excellent reviews of his tours on TripAdvisor and other sites, so I'm sure it will be great no matter who the pilot is.

I did the ground portion and honestly except for landing it was not exciting. We were on a small outcrop in the fjord and may have had a drink of juice although don't really remember. So don't think about it and enjoy flying with Michelle - she was delightful.

I did the ground portion and honestly except for landing it was not exciting. We were on a small outcrop in the fjord and may have had a drink of juice although don't really remember. So don't think about it and enjoy flying with Michelle - she was delightful.

Thanks!!! I think we picked the right tour for us now, and I'm getting really excited!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did the two hour with Michelle and it was amazing. Landing on the lake and getting out of the plane for a bit really added to it. Everything was so silent and peaceful. Where I live there are constantly cars driving by or dogs barking or some noise. The silence was awesome!

Frankly, Michelle is an excellent vendor, I have gone with her. BUT, there are numerous other vendors who are just as good. and excel with their tours. I've been fortunate to have flown the area numerous times in numerous areas. Sometimes thinking is narrow, with "Misty Fjords" as one tour. Nope, there are many diverse areas that the pilots can and do fly. Along with some different landing areas.

Nope- I would not shorten my trip in favor of a pilot. "time" is going to get you further, allow you to see more. A one hour trip is barely going to get in the fjords, before you'll be turning around returning.

Thanks for the further comments! I'm starting to rethink our decision to take the shorter tour. Budget Queen, have you flown with other vendors and if so, is there one you would recommend over others? I may check if Randy still has space available on the 2-hour flight, but my husband isn't really comfortable with return time being an hour before sail time

Thanks, that does actually help to think of it that way, only actually missing 1/2 hour flight time. We're going to book with Michelle for the 1-hour flight, mostly because I had my heart set on flying with her for a long time, and that kind of makes up for losing out on the ground portion (I hope).

I did some digging and found Randy is the owner of Mountain Air and has run flightseeing tours for a long time.... I found a lot of excellent reviews of his tours on TripAdvisor and other sites, so I'm sure it will be great no matter who the pilot is.

Shesmi is correct. He is the owner of Mountain Air. I did similar research before I booked the 2 hour (2 hours flight time, I believe, not 1.5) flight with Randy. His plane is like Michelle's and they share it dock. It seems they also share a reservations agent. The person I spoke with said he believes the same as Michelle and his plane is similarly maintained. He's from the Ketchikan area. I found this article about him. He's owned his plane since 2011.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-c1-alaska-float-pilot-20150102-story.html

Thanks for the further comments! I'm starting to rethink our decision to take the shorter tour. Budget Queen, have you flown with other vendors and if so, is there one you would recommend over others? I may check if Randy still has space available on the 2-hour flight, but my husband isn't really comfortable with return time being an hour before sail time

I highly recommend Southeast Aviation. I have been a long time customer, always wonderful flights. :)

There is no issue with the scheduling of an hour prior to the end of port time. . It can easily be done. But, since it's a concern, then look at other possible time slots.

I have flown with Michelle twice, once to Traitor's Cove to see bears catching salmon and the last time to Misty Fjords. We did the 2 hour tour with the landing in this gorgeous place.

island_june_14_ketchikan_IMG_3577.jpg

We are so glad we did the longer tour, since we did get to see so much beauty. I personally wouldn't think an hour would be enough. We loved Michelle; but I would go for tour length rather than pilot, as long as they have a great reputation.

We booked the two hour in June and I hope it's Michelle who is the pilot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You may be disappointed. We are also booked for the two hour trip in June and was told that Michelle does the one hour, Randy the two hour trips. But I am comfortable that he will be great.

Thanks for your help; I'm sure y'all are correct! I know this is impossible to answer, but after having done a 2-hour tour, does a 1-hour tour seem like it would be long enough? I know, I'm overthinking it, but hubby wants to take the shorter one and save money, and I want to see and do "everything" LOL. There's no easy answer to that dilemma I guess.

Hello. I will be in Ketchikan on July 15 on my cruise. So excited! Counting the days. I plan to go with southeast sea kayaks on a Kayak tour combined with a misty fjord flight seeing. But After looking at this thread I decided to check out this company. I see they have a misty fjord flight seeing your combined with landing there and hiking. Now that would just be incredible to come home and say "I did the misty fjord float plane. And landed and hiked in it!" I emailed them to ask how much and how long is it. Seriously considering this! :)

You may be disappointed. We are also booked for the two hour trip in June and was told that Michelle does the one hour, Randy the two hour trips. But I am comfortable that he will be great.

I have a 2 hour booked with Michelle in August- after reading this thread I wrote to confirm Michelle was my pilot- she is- they said she does both and also a bear watching one.

Good luck- can't wait.

Fran

I have a 2 hour booked with Michelle in August- after reading this thread I wrote to confirm Michelle was my pilot- she is- they said she does both and also a bear watching one.

Good luck- can't wait.

Fran

I stand corrected- I must have misunderstood what I was told. Sorry to have concerned you- you will enjoy your trip for sure. Wish we were going to be in Alaska for bear/salmon season- we are way too early.

• 1 month later...
FYI we fly with Michelle on Monday for the 2 hour tour as confirmed by Shona. Can wait, our flight leaves in 20 hours to Vancouver!

You will love it! We ended up booking with Carlin Air because we wanted the 2 hour tour and Michelle didnt have that available the day we were there. And Carlin ended up sending us to Alaska Seaplane Tours because he was having mechanical issue with plane and didn't get the replacement part in time for our flight. Regardless, it was an amazing flight - made an unscheduled landing in a cove because pilot spotted a bear by the shore (but bear was scared off by engine noise and we didn't get a good glimpse) and then a 2nd landing in a quiet area by a waterfall to get out and stand on the floats (too scary for me to do though, lol). It was breathtaking! Enjoy your trip!!

We did her 1 hr tour in 2015. For us it was perfect, we didn't land anywhere. My wife said if we landed she WASN'T getting out. The tour that came in before us, a lady was wet from slipping on rocks. It was all we needed and quite a bit cheaper. I think she only does 1, 1 hr a day. There wasn't enough time to do a 2 hr before the ship departed.